creativemechanic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

I saw this letter in a collection of Dear Abby responses over the  decades.

It shows a valuable bible lesson that spills over into every day life. Can anyone spot it?

age diff.jpg

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,938
  • Content Per Day:  3.06
  • Days Won:  1

In the next 10 years she will be a wrinkled statue in a junk yard.

8 hours ago, R. Hartono said:

ummmmmm....... harsh much?

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

20 hours ago, creativemechanic said:

I saw this letter in a collection of Dear Abby responses over the  decades.

It shows a valuable bible lesson that spills over into every day life. Can anyone spot it?

age diff.jpg

Wise words. She should have looked at the age before she married him.

Edited by missmuffet

11 hours ago, R. Hartono said:

Everyone ages. Everyone will eventually be a wrinkled statue in a junk yard if they live that long. But that is not how we should look at it. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  873
  • Content Per Day:  0.46

4 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Everyone ages. Everyone will eventually be a wrinkled statue in a junk yard if they live that long. But that is not how we should look at it. 

Maybe we need to start a discussion about how to view aging.

I just started a discussion entitled >

"how to view aging . . . stepping off from the discussion topic 'regretting marriage' . . . " > here's our link >

https://www.worthychristianforums.com/topic/283123-how-to-view-aging-stepping-off-from-the-discussion-topic-regretting-marriage/

Edited by com7fy8

On 9/15/2022 at 12:29 PM, missmuffet said:

Wise words. She should have looked at the age before she married him.

Exactly-

In Luke 14, Jesus tells us to count the cost before becoming a disciple. This applies to everyday life as well, before we make any major decision, we need to assess what all of the future results will be and decide if we can bear them.

While I dont think she should get a divorce, I can sympathise with her. When she got married ,she probably didnt realise that marrying a man 28 years her senior would mean he'd start  approach old age when she'll be in her prime so now she has to deal with being a young woman with a man who is nearing eldery.

Also this- whats a 44  year old man doing courting a fresh out of school teenager.  Werent there  and women in thir 20's 30s and 40s around? At that age,  her brain isnt fully developed into adulthood and shes hardly able to make such drastic decisions. WHERE WERE HER PARENTS!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, creativemechanic said:

Exactly-

In Luke 14, Jesus tells us to count the cost before becoming a disciple. This applies to everyday life as well, before we make any major decision, we need to assess what all of the future results will be and decide if we can bear them.

While I dont think she should get a divorce, I can sympathise with her. When she got married ,she probably didnt realise that marrying a man 28 years her senior would mean he'd start  approach old age when she'll be in her prime so now she has to deal with being a young woman with a man who is nearing eldery.

Also this- whats a 44  year old man doing courting a fresh out of school teenager.  Werent there  and women in thir 20's 30s and 40s around? At that age,  her brain isnt fully developed into adulthood and shes hardly able to make such drastic decisions. WHERE WERE HER PARENTS!!!!

I'd be better able to assess this is I knew what year it was written.  "Dear Abby" began in 1956.  Life was different for women [including young women] back then.

You said two things that do not dovetail.

You said she should have "counted the cost".  Then you said her "brain wasn't fully developed into adulthood".

How can she count the cost if her brain is not an adult brain?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,035
  • Content Per Day:  3.33

The Lord reveals three types of love in the Greek - "eros", "philadelphia" and "agape". The love that initially attracts a man and a woman is "eros" (from which we get "erotic"). Unless the marriage was organized, "eros" played a part in our case above. Most marriages that survive have an element of "eros", but sometimes it grows cold. I think that the solution, or the cause for failure, will be found there. Sure, it's a pain when you want play a game of squash and your partner calls for his slippers and newspaper, but if you can both work to dig up ol' EROS, it might save you a silly divorce. It doesn't have to be a diamond ring - but it will need some work.

I am one of seven children and my wife is one of four. The attrition rate for divorce is 50%. Half my siblings, and half my wife's siblings are divorced. Without exception the divorced ones admit that they should have worked harder at the relationship and avoided the divorce(s). The second (and in one case the third) marriage just brought a new set of problems.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, creativemechanic said:

Exactly-

It is also bad judgement. A Christian needs to take everything before God before they make their first move.