IGNORED

Anyone Know A Verse About God Removing His Presence From People That Love Him?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

There have a been a few occasions in the last year or so, where I have heard of people, including myself, who have a good and close relationship with God, but for some reason, God withdrew his presence from them for a time, maybe as a way of testing them, so see how much they want him back (not saying that’s the reason but just my theory as to why God may do this).

Anyways, does anyone know any verses or stories that talk about this? I may kick myself if some are listed and I already knew them.

Thanks so much

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  225
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

I suppose in a way you could say he did that with Abraham, when God was testing Abraham.

Or, what now comes to mind is Jesus himself on the cross. "Father, why have you forsaken me"

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Content Count:  6,873
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

1 hour ago, Open7 said:

There have a been a few occasions in the last year or so, where I have heard of people, including myself, who have a good and close relationship with God, but for some reason, God withdrew his presence from them for a time, maybe as a way of testing them, so see how much they want him back (not saying that’s the reason but just my theory as to why God may do this).

Anyways, does anyone know any verses or stories that talk about this? I may kick myself if some are listed and I already knew them.

Thanks so much

Doing so in the Bible is usually a sign that they weren't really following Him or at least were in rebellion of some kind.

It also depends on what you mean by saying God withdrew His presence from them, and what those people meant when they claimed it happened to them. A lot of people think that suffering is a sign that God has withdrawn from them or abandoned them, because surely He would be protecting them if He were still present in their lives. But that is not Biblical. Even the likely oldest book in the Bible, Job, is all about how God allowing suffering to come into our lives is not necessarily a sign of punishment or His anger with us.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

On 9/25/2022 at 4:38 AM, Open7 said:

Thanks so much

Depends on what is meant by presence. Not hearing God's voice? There were long stretches of silence in the scriptures. Not feeling the Spirit? That's a great time to get out in nature, pray briefly to God and then LISTEN.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  873
  • Content Per Day:  0.46

On 9/25/2022 at 4:38 AM, Open7 said:

I have heard of people, including myself, who have a good and close relationship with God, but for some reason, God withdrew his presence from them for a time

Well, included in being close to God is we submit to how He personally rules us in His own peace >

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

So, in case anything gets you away from submitting to God in His peace, that is a problem. When this happens with me, I need to stop, right away, and trust God to correct me and restore me into personal and sensitive sharing with Him in His peace, then discover what He has me doing.

And while we are being chastened by God, this is not a nice experience > Hebrews 12:4-14 < but it is wise to actively seek our Father for however He knows we need correction.

"Let all that you do be done with love." (1 Corinthians 16:14)

I believe this means in God's love. In God's love we have personal and tender sharing with Him, plus His creativity for how to love each and every person. And the Bible has various things about how to relate in God's love. So, if we are present with God in His love and submitting to how He guides us, we are not going to get away from Him.

By the way . . . another thing > how do we please God? We have 1 Peter 3:4 > 

"rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:4)

I would offer that if "a gentle and quiet spirit" is very precious to God, then this is how Jesus is. And I note how, then, Jesus in us is gentle and quiet. And if we see Jesus, we see our Father, right? :) So, if Jesus is gentle and quiet, I think it is reasonable that God our Heavenly Father is quiet and gentle. And so we can be pleasing to God, by being gentle and quiet in sharing with Jesus in us; and He won't be going anywhere while we are sharing with Him, right?

So, I trust God to be Himself with me and us. I be still in prayer and trust Him to do whatsoever He pleases in me and others, and I find myself being very quiet and sensitive for however at each moment He takes me along in His peace. 

But in case you get bored or lonely while being quiet, I offer . . . uh-uh . . . that is not the right way to be quiet.

God is perfectly quiet and kind and totally busy with being all-loving; so with God we are not bored or lonely, to say the least!

Maybe it's like how a top quality automobile engine can be the quietest and yet the highest in performance and comfort; you just rest and ride in how He guides in His peace.

And "the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (in Philippians 4:6-7) God is almighty; so this peace is almighty to guard our hearts and minds against any mean and cruel emotions and feelings, and against any distraction and dominating and dictatorial drives for pleasure and trying to just use and control people (1 Peter 5:3). So, this is better and nicer than any human pleasure sensations, and does us so much more good.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/25/2022 at 5:09 AM, BK1110 said:

Doing so in the Bible is usually a sign that they weren't really following Him or at least were in rebellion of some kind.

It also depends on what you mean by saying God withdrew His presence from them, and what those people meant when they claimed it happened to them. A lot of people think that suffering is a sign that God has withdrawn from them or abandoned them, because surely He would be protecting them if He were still present in their lives. But that is not Biblical. Even the likely oldest book in the Bible, Job, is all about how God allowing suffering to come into our lives is not necessarily a sign of punishment or His anger with us.

I don't totally agree with you on this, because the examples in the scripture of God withdrawing his presence or his protection as God with a person is showing a couple times. And then you have to look at the result of this withdrawal of God's presence to that person. That there is a purpose in it.

The two examples I'm thinking about is the story of Job. And it states right there in the beginning that job is a good and faithful servant of God and yet God still retracts his protection or his presence from him allowing the double to do as he would will.

The other is Jesus himself on the cross. And you can see that God withdrew himself from Jesus when Jesus Cries Out my God why have you forsaken me

I'm sure there are other moments where it seems like God withdraws himself from a person but they're evidently is a purpose for that and look at the result of the experience of job and the experience of Jesus look at what happens in both cases.

Where would we be today if God kept his presence with them

• Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.55
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

Heb. 13:5 (NKJVS)   Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

• Topic Count:  87
  • Content Count:  6,873
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

32 minutes ago, Dirt Eaters said:

I don't totally agree with you on this, because the examples in the scripture of God withdrawing his presence or his protection as God with a person is showing a couple times. And then you have to look at the result of this withdrawal of God's presence to that person. That there is a purpose in it.

The two examples I'm thinking about is the story of Job. And it states right there in the beginning that job is a good and faithful servant of God and yet God still retracts his protection or his presence from him allowing the double to do as he would will.

The other is Jesus himself on the cross. And you can see that God withdrew himself from Jesus when Jesus Cries Out my God why have you forsaken me

I'm sure there are other moments where it seems like God withdraws himself from a person but they're evidently is a purpose for that and look at the result of the experience of job and the experience of Jesus look at what happens in both cases.

Where would we be today if God kept his presence with them

Good post.

In my defense, I did say "usually," and followed up with a discussion about what we mean about God removing his presence.  Job is indeed a notable exception (in that God Himself pointed out that Job was "blameless and upright")... if, of course, by God removing His presence we simply mean "God allows evil/suffering to come into one's life." Did God remove his presence from Job's life, or was he still there with Job as Job moved through those terrible trials? I might be inclined to say the latter, but it's all based on how I or someone else defines God removing His presence from someone.

God bless, sister!

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

II Chronicles 32:31 may be an example of the kind of thing you're thinking about. Hezekiah was a good and godly king, "but when envoys were sent by the rulers of Babylon to ask him about the miraculous sign that had occurred in the land, God left him to test him and to know everything that was in his heart." (You can read the full story in Isaiah 39)

2 hours ago, BK1110 said:

Good post.

In my defense, I did say "usually," and followed up with a discussion about what we mean about God removing his presence.  Job is indeed a notable exception (in that God Himself pointed out that Job was "blameless and upright")... if, of course, by God removing His presence we simply mean "God allows evil/suffering to come into one's life." Did God remove his presence from Job's life, or was he still there with Job as Job moved through those terrible trials? I might be inclined to say the latter, but it's all based on how I or someone else defines God removing His presence from someone.

God bless, sister!

But suffering isn't always evil. 

Jesus suffered for our sins, His suffering is a selfless act of love.

• Thumbs Up 1