educatexan

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  22
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I understand having awe and reverence for God, but I'm hung up on fearing the Lord.  Doesn't "fear" mean to anticipate danger and pain?  I don't understand being afraid of God like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  265
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

1 hour ago, educatexan said:

I understand having awe and reverence for God, but I'm hung up on fearing the Lord.  Doesn't "fear" mean to anticipate danger and pain?  I don't understand being afraid of God like that.

Here is how one online dictionary defines fear:

fear: (noun) an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat:
"he is prey to irrational fears" ·

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,316
  • Content Per Day:  1.70

Where does it say " Fear thr Lord. "?

What version are you using?  Try biblegateway and read that passage in modern English versions.

What does your commentary on that book of the bible say about fearing g the Lord?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  186
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

I’d say the devil understands what happens when you don’t fear the Lord, or Israel and their ups and downs in their relationship with the Lord God of Israel, or Pharaoh during Moses’ day. Read the book of Job, maybe that will enlighten you. Creation and all that’s in it is at the Lord’s pleasure.

Moses, King David, Solomon these who the Lord God of Israel used to bring Israel to a certain state all preached fear the Lord. So, its apparent they knew something most “modern Christians” don’t today, which is the Lord God of Israel. Which is the God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob which is the God of Jesus Christ. And read translations not paraphrased bibles, paraphrases are just what the paraphraser wants you to believe it said.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, educatexan said:

It means both.  We fear God out of awe and respect but we also fear God out of fear of judgement.  

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this [is] the whole [duty] of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether [it be] good, or whether [it be] evil. - Ecc 12:13-14 

And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him. - Luk 12:4-5 

My flesh trembleth for fear of thee; and I am afraid of thy judgments. - Psa 119:120 

The fear of the LORD [is] the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do [his commandments]: his praise endureth for ever. - Psa 111:10 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  349
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,532
  • Content Per Day:  2.69

No need to break out my Greek lexicons and commentaries looking up “fear” on this one. Fear is the beginning of wisdom, and I gained wisdom growing up, and my secular personal example may fit what it means to fear the Lord.

My Dad loved me, and I loved him. I feared my dad when I made an error and disobeyed; I dared not disrespect him. When I did something wrong, a parental correction was often needed and involved (corporal-restrictions-freedom, etc.). I had reverence, respect, and fear for my dad because he had power over me and wisdom I did not possess. He had the best intentions for me in his heart. When I intentionally disobeyed what I knew was right and got caught, I anticipated consequences would be involved, and I feared the results and the person administering them.

We are the children of God. Children are growing and maturing and, by design, love, respect, and fear their fathers much more than their mothers.

I recall hearing the phrase, “if you are not going to respect your elders, you will respect your betters.” OUCH! “This will hurt me more than it will hurt you.” I didn’t understand what that meant at the time, but now I do.

How much more does our heavenly Father love us than our earthly Dad?

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  349
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,532
  • Content Per Day:  2.69

1 hour ago, Who me said:

Where does it say " Fear thr Lord. "?

What version are you using?  Try biblegateway and read that passage in modern English versions.

What does your commentary on that book of the bible say about fearing g the Lord?

Fear of the Lord is in 110 Bible passages. Here is one:

Psalm 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  1,628
  • Content Per Day:  1.13

I don't fear God.  Why should I?  He is my abba, my loving daddy.  I love God and He loves me, period.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,995
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,693
  • Content Per Day:  11.71
  • Days Won:  226

For the Christian the fear of God is reverence to God. It is obeying Him, submitting to His discipline and worshipping Him. Believers are not to be afraid of God. But those who are not believers will have the fear of God when they are judged since they will be spending a conscious eternity in hell. 

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Content Count:  1,426
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

I'm all aboard the fear of God and take it at face value. Jesus said to fear God, who can destroy both body and soul. It's a very healthy fear to have, like a fear of electricity. A lot of times we enjoy the benefits electricity offers to us, but we realize what it's capable of and don't take it lightly. The fear of God seems to be in a similar vein.

The thing to me is this. That verse about the fear of the Lord being the beginning of wisdom? Emphasis on the beginning. Ideally people come to see that He wants good things for us. The Bible often compares our relationship with God to a parent/child relationship, and it really fits. Most of us can probably remember times when at least one of our earthly parents scared us when they had to lay down the law to us, but they weren't like that all the time, and (hopefully) neither did they enjoy being that way. But it's good to remember that to help keep us from doing wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 2