AlsoBroken

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  93
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

“For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.”

I don’t understand what this means, given that believers are covered with Christ’s robe of righteousness and He has removed our sins, “as far as the east is from the west.” But we will still be called to account for every word spoken and act done in the flesh? 
I looked up this passage in several commentaries and they were of no help as far as my question goes. 
We are made righteous in Christ, but will still be judged? 😓

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,946
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

42 minutes ago, AlsoBroken said:

“For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.”

I don’t understand what this means, given that believers are covered with Christ’s robe of righteousness and He has removed our sins, “as far as the east is from the west.” But we will still be called to account for every word spoken and act done in the flesh? 
I looked up this passage in several commentaries and they were of no help as far as my question goes. 

Hi AlsoBroken.

You are correct in that Saints of God, that is all those who have been saved by grace through faith in Christ, are not condemned as sinners because of the Advocacy of Christ as the One who has already paid the price for our sin.

There is however a Judgment of Saints for works, not to earn salvation but to determine reward.

1Co 3:11-15  For no one can lay a foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.  (12)  If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, or straw,  (13)  his workmanship will be evident, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will prove the quality of each man’s work.  (14)  If what he has built survives, he will receive a reward.  (15)  If it is burned up, he will suffer loss. He himself will be saved, but only as if through the flames.

Blessings from Michael37

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

9 hours ago, AlsoBroken said:

don’t understand what this means

Look at it this way.

Should you ever leave the USA, you on your return still have to go through emigration, where by showing your passport you demonstrate  your entitlement  to reside  in America.

In the same way we will appear before God, for our right to enter  heaven to be demonstrated  and for rewards to be granted.

• Group:  Seventh Day Adventist
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,786
  • Content Per Day:  0.33

10 hours ago, AlsoBroken said:

All will be judged, but if you have on Christs robe of righteousness, it is like you get a automatic pardon, and your works show who you have chosen and Christ gives a reward accordingly. 

Revelation 22:12

And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,035
  • Content Per Day:  3.33

13 hours ago, AlsoBroken said:

A garment in parable is "works". The Christian has two Garments. One is for his dealings with an utterly holy God. For having dealings with God, nothing but the best is acceptable. No man can attain to this standard, so God puts our Lord Jesus on earth and under Law (Gal.4:4). He in turn lives a completely righteous life. But God asks more of Him - to die for the unjust. This is above Law fr Law cannot require the just for the unjust. Then, to show that every sin had been dealt with, Jesus is resurrected. So our Lord Jesus is righteous in Life, Death and Resurrection. This mantle of perfect righteousness is then appropriated by God and although Christ established it, God takes it as His own and calls it "the righteousness of God". Christian, when they are dealing with God, must come to God "in Jesus' Name". They must "put on Christ" (Rom.13:14, Gal.3:27).

But after a man has been with God, he must go out and complete the instructions he received from his time in God's presence. How well he does the WORK that God gave him to do is HIS WORKS, or, His Garment. So, for the wedding feast we need to "prepare our OWN garment. Revelation 19:7-8 says;

7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready. 8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints

Notice that she has MADE HERSELF READY, and the garment is NOT the righteousness of God, but the righteousness of the SAINT.

When we appear before the Judgment Seat it is to scrutinize OUR Garment. It is to check OUR results to God's commands.

Example; Aaron was a Levite and High Priest of Israel. He was the only man allowed into the presence of God in the Tabernacle. He had special clothes and did a special ritual before entering the Holy of Holies. If he did one little thing wrong, he would be struck dead on the spot. But, when the Day of Atonement was over, Aaron returned to his normal duties. His normal daily life was under the Law of Moses - just like every other Israelite. And he slotted back into daily life for a year. If God were to suddenly judge Aaron, he would not ask Aaron for the Ephod he wore on the day of atonement. He would ask Aaron what he did every day since the last Yom Kippur. Maybe Aaron would fear then because exactly that happened. In Numbers 12 Aaron called into question Moses's wife - an Ethiopian. But she had been taken by Moses BEFORE the Law was given. In any case, Aaron was not appointed judge of Moses. God was angry.

Now, if Aaron scuttled to the store room and put on the Ephod, do you think he would have survived god's judgment? No. The Ephod was for Yom Kippur. Aaron would have to face God witha dirty garment - HIS OWN. Likewise, we all will face Christ at the Bema and give an account of OURSELVES. And if you happen to have been livinga sinful life ... well O.K.  .... I don't want to see - because I will be worrying about myself. 

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

What is the Judgment Seat of Christ?

ANSWER

Romans 14:10–12 says, “For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat. . . . So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God” (ESV). Second Corinthians 5:10 tells us, “We must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.” In context, it is clear that both passages refer to Christians, not unbelievers. The judgment seat of Christ, therefore, involves believers giving an account of their lives to Christ.

The judgment seat of Christ does not determine salvation; that was determined by Christ’s sacrifice on our behalf (1 John 2:2) and our faith in Him (John 3:16). All of our sins are forgiven, and we will never be condemned for them (Romans 8:1). We should not look at the judgment seat of Christ as God judging our sins, but rather as God rewarding us for our lives. Yes, as the Bible says, we will have to give an account of ourselves. Part of this is surely answering for the sins we committed. However, that is not going to be the primary focus of the judgment seat of Christ.

At the judgment seat of Christ, believers are rewarded based on how faithfully they served Christ (1 Corinthians 9:4-27; 2 Timothy 2:5). Some of the things we might be judged on are how well we obeyed the Great Commission (Matthew 28:18-20), how victorious we were over sin (Romans 6:1-4), and how well we controlled our tongues (James 3:1-9). The Bible speaks of believers receiving crowns for different things based on how faithfully they served Christ (1 Corinthians 9:4-27; 2 Timothy 2:5). The various crowns are described in 2 Timothy 2:5, 2 Timothy 4:8, James 1:12, 1 Peter 5:4, and Revelation 2:10. James 1:12 is a good summary of how we should think about the judgment seat of Christ: “Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.”
Edited by missmuffet
  • Thanks 2

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,468
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

You might be interested in a conversation going on in another thread presently?

Based on the Bema Seat judgment, it may affect the participation in the Kingdom of Jesus during the millennial reign of Christ. The Bible speaks of those saved can suffer LOSS, loss of rewards. I am starting to lean toward entering the millennium is a privilege and reward that can be lost, based on our conduct and works. 

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  93
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

Thank you all for these replies. Very appreciated. I just get very upset when I read something that infers that I will at some future Day have to give an account for ALL my past life. Even after I was “saved” I relapsed in my addictions, made terrible choices and did terrible things. I was very unstable off and on for many years. I still grieve over all that was lost. I can’t imagine a judgement seat before which I’ll be reminded of it all and not feel total shame and humiliation. 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,468
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

17 minutes ago, AlsoBroken said:

Thank you all for these replies. Very appreciated. I just get very upset when I read something that infers that I will at some future Day have to give an account for ALL my past life. Even after I was “saved” I relapsed in my addictions, made terrible choices and did terrible things. I was very unstable off and on for many years. I still grieve over all that was lost. I can’t imagine a judgement seat before which I’ll be reminded of it all and not feel total shame and humiliation. 

I suspect our account will be for after we were covered under the Lamb’s blood. Do you remember the biblical example of the workers and their wages?

To paraphrase, some worked all day, some half a day, and one came in at the end of the workday. All received a day's pay equally.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,946
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

10 minutes ago, AlsoBroken said:

Contrition and remorse for our sin is actually to our benefit. Sin separates us from God but if we confess and  repent of those sins there is no more condemnation for them.

Isa 1:18-20  "Come now, and let us reason together," Says the LORD, "Though your sins are like scarlet, They shall be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They shall be as wool.  (19)  If you are willing and obedient, You shall eat the good of the land;  (20)  But if you refuse and rebel, You shall be devoured by the sword"; For the mouth of the LORD has spoken.

Rom 8:1-2  There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.  (2)  For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.

The helmet of salvation is designed to keep our thoughts free of condemnation.

The sword of the Spirit is the perfect weapon with which to attack the principalities, powers, rulers of the darkness and the spiritual wickedness that try to oppress us.

Eph 6:17  And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;

👍Helmet of Salvation = Thoughts Free of Condemnation.

👍Breastplate of Righteousness = Heart Full of Godliness.

👍Girdle of Truth = Covering Secured by Living Proof.

👍Footwear of the Preparation of the Gospel of Peace = Stability in Readiness to Preach.

👍Shield of Faith = Protection Impenetrable because of Belief.

👍Sword of the Spirit = Attack Effectual with the Word that is Perfect.

👍Praying in the Spirit = Requests Holy not that of the Hypocrite.

• Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1