IGNORED

Bible study about "spiritual covering" . . .

com7fy8

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  873
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  0

Our new member >

On 11/9/2022 at 8:33 AM, Liese said:

Our family has for years discussed and believed in spiritual covering, asking our adult children to allow dad (only dad; not mom) to, in covenant agreement, be their spiritual covering until they are married. This has also been tied to them living with us until they are married (or if they choose not to live with us, to then live in a property we buy for them to live in.)

What’s the biblical basis for spiritual covering?

So, if we may . . . let's help Liese and one another about this.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

What is "spiritual covering"????? Never come across the term before

• This is Worthy 1

11 minutes ago, Deborah_ said:

What is "spiritual covering"?????

Hi, Deborah :) I have heard how ones consider their pastor to be their covering. 

This can mean the pastor has power with God to pray for someone so the person is blessed and safe, and not only running around loose without any attachment to a church.

So, I suppose this could be like this, in a family, how a Christian father has God-given ability to pray for his family so they do well with God and are safe. 

And, with a pastor or father, if God has put the man in authority, there are ways God expects church members or family members to honor and obey the man whom God has put in authority. 

But this does not mean the pastor or husband has freedom to tell people to do whatever he pleases. But it means how God through a ruler does His managing. Plus, God has a legitimate leader lead by example > 

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

And we see how Peter led in the situation where they were working out if Gentile converts needed to get circumcised and keep the law of Moses > 

They met until they had agreement, then they moved with unity. Peter did not just boss and dictate which way to go > Acts chapter 15.

What I note here is how there was dispute. But then Peter stood up and said what helped guide everyone to a good outcome. God used Peter; I see there is a reason for this.

It is wise to know whom God has chosen to use to take care of things, in any case.

Edited by com7fy8

23 minutes ago, com7fy8 said:

if they choose not to live with us, to then live in a property we buy for them to live in.)

That can be pretty generous, that the children do not need to pay for their first property . . . which the parents buy!

I would not make a general rule that all Christian families must do what your family is doing.

But it can be good, I think. I understand that if a man is the "head", he needs to be leading by example > taking the lead in what we all need to do > 

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

And have unity, by means of everyone praying so God has us all in agreement. Jesus desires cheerful and willing agreement and obedience.

And in the United States it seems to me, how many families are ruined because of how ones use their independence. So, having a way of children functioning together with their parents can be good. 

And, of course, I would hope the lady would have married a man who is worthy to so rule in the home. If she has, she would be in agreement with however he makes decisions :) even if she does not make any, herself. By choosing and honoring the right guy, she can be assuring that her right desires will be fulfilled.

Edited by com7fy8

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  17
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

37 minutes ago, com7fy8 said:

Our new member >

That is very kind of you to share this, @com7fy8

• Loved it! 1

3 minutes ago, Liese said:

That is very kind of you to share this

It is apparent, Liese, that you are not a "bot" :) lolololololololol

We have some very helpful and caring people who know God's word well, here. So, even if I'm the only one sharing on this > this is "so far". We should have more joining in. 

My opinion is that your family is unique. So, not only would you want to know if "spiritual covering" is Biblical, in general, but you need to pray with one another so that how you do it is Biblical, in your family.

One common fear about covering is that a certain person . . . the "covering" pastor or husband . . . can become a god . . . given too much depending on the person for details of what to do, and too much credit for what only God is able to do. We can be limited by what a leader is capable of guiding us to do . . . considering how God is able to personally guide each of us to do more and better than what we could think or have someone else tell us to do.

But our Father does include us to help one another. And He does have approved people to rule us in the church . . . according to how I understand > Hebrews 13:17 :)

So, covering if Biblical is meant for how God is able to make it work, not how humans indeed can make a mess of things. A leader can do it the wrong way, but so also can ones under a covering. No one is excused to do things the wrong way. This includes how ones with a pastor or father must make sure with God about what He wants; we can not, in my opinion, do something wrong and then make the excuse that some "covering" told us we had to do it!

Galatians 2:11-13 > in Acts 15 I think we can see how Peter did leading very well, and so ones did well to follow his leadership; however > not in the case of Galatians 2:11-13!!

"Test all things; hold fast what is good." (1 Thessalonians 5:21)

Only God can know what is really "good", at any moment. So, I see here how God does mean for every one of us to be able to make sure with God, all the time, about what He pleases to do with each of us. What an adventure this is!!! God our Father is able to personally guide us while we are alone, and in how we are relating with His leaders and others of us.

So all needs to be prayerful.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

This is the closest I have found in scripture that gives an example of any form of covering:

1 Corinthians 7:14

For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband; otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy.

This verse is not speaking of a covering at all, but is true only because of Jesus and ones faith in Him, in which sanctification is bestowed toward the other as they have become one, which is also onto their children.   Far too many platitudes are being passed around these days due to the vastness of the internet and technology.  Platitudes are not scripture, but many hold dear to them because it sounds really good.  Be careful what you believe.  Search scripture every time you hear something being taught as scriptural truth to see if it is true or not.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.33
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  6.99
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

1 hour ago, com7fy8 said:

What’s the biblical basis for spiritual covering?

One example, The man's authority to annul vows made

by his wife or daughter without his blessing. This is "time sensitive".

Numbers 30:1-16

Or if a woman makes a vow to the Lord, and binds by some agreement

while in her father’s house in her youth,

and her father hears her vow and the agreement by which she has bound

herself, and her father holds his peace, then all her vows shall stand, and every

agreement with which she has bound herself shall stand. 

But if her father overrules her on the day that he hears, then none of her vows

nor her agreements by which she has bound herself shall stand; and the Lord 

will release her, because her father overruled her.

Speaking generally, anyplace where someone is said to be in authority, 

those who abide under that authority are under "the covering" of that authority.

Paul kept the congregations that he was responsible for under the covering of 

his anointing, through his steadfast commitment to prayer.

Philippians 1:7 Even as it is meet for me to think this of you all, because

I have you in my heart; inasmuch as both in my bonds, and in the defense 

and confirmation of the gospel, ye all are partakers of my grace.

Never underestimate the power that results from the prayers of the faithful, 

the elders of the congregation, and especially wives and mothers,

by abiding under the spiritual authority ordained in the Lord.

This is the empowering of the Gospel, humble in submission>victorious in power

Ephesians 5:21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,824
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, com7fy8 said:

Our new member >

I've not heard of spiritual covering very often.  It came from the Shepherding Movement in the 1970's.

I don't think it's quite Biblical - especially the way that our new member describes it.  And although it's described as "spiritual", this concept can move quickly into the flesh and control and spiritual abuse.

She says that ONLY the father is the spiritual covering - in a covenant agreement, sans the mother, with his children.  Spiritual covering meaning to be the source of blessings, source of protection from harm, and absolute authority.

The Bible does not teach that.  The Bible says the mother has a role just as important as the father in governing the children.

• Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you." = Exodus 20:12
  • "My son, keep your father's commandment, and forsake not your mother's teaching." Proverbs 6:20
  • "Hear, my son, your father's instruction, and forsake not your mother's teaching, for they are a graceful garland for your head and pendants for your neck." = Proverbs 1:8-9
  • "Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother” (this is the first commandment with a promise), “that it may go well with you and that you may live long in the land.” = Ephesians 6:1-3
  • "The eye that mocks a father and scorns to obey a mother will be picked out by the ravens of the valley and eaten by the vultures."  = Proverbs 30:17

I'm just fearful that when you have one person and one person alone who is a "spiritual coverer" whether in the family, the church, a community, or a ministry that there is a door open for abuse.

I feel that this movement is asking people to submit to God ONLY through another human being.

And I cannot find anywhere in the Bible where children are commanded to live with their parents until they marry or else live where the parents tell them to.

Submission and respect is important.  So is the fact that both the father and mother are Biblically charged with protecting, teaching, and loving the children.

Fathers should lead primarily by example - not the dictation of where to live.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  17
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

2 hours ago, Jayne said:

I've not heard of spiritual covering very often.  It came from the Shepherding Movement in the 1970's.

I don't think it's quite Biblical - especially the way that our new member describes it.  And although it's described as "spiritual", this concept can move quickly into the flesh and control and spiritual abuse.

She says that ONLY the father is the spiritual covering - in a covenant agreement, sans the mother, with his children.  Spiritual covering meaning to be the source of blessings, source of protection from harm, and absolute authority.

The Bible does not teach that.  The Bible says the mother has a role just as important as the father in governing the children.

• Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you." = Exodus 20:12
  • "My son, keep your father's commandment, and forsake not your mother's teaching." Proverbs 6:20
  • "Hear, my son, your father's instruction, and forsake not your mother's teaching, for they are a graceful garland for your head and pendants for your neck." = Proverbs 1:8-9
  • "Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother” (this is the first commandment with a promise), “that it may go well with you and that you may live long in the land.” = Ephesians 6:1-3
  • "The eye that mocks a father and scorns to obey a mother will be picked out by the ravens of the valley and eaten by the vultures."  = Proverbs 30:17

I'm just fearful that when you have one person and one person alone who is a "spiritual coverer" whether in the family, the church, a community, or a ministry that there is a door open for abuse.

I feel that this movement is asking people to submit to God ONLY through another human being.

And I cannot find anywhere in the Bible where children are commanded to live with their parents until they marry or else live where the parents tell them to.

Submission and respect is important.  So is the fact that both the father and mother are Biblically charged with protecting, teaching, and loving the children.

Fathers should lead primarily by example - not the dictation of where to live.

Thank you very much for your thoughtful response, Jayne. I’m intaking the comments, and will further seek the scriptures shared to see what God is saying to me. 

To clarify what I think may be justifications from the members desiring the spiritual covering arrangement:

—I’m the new step person to the family, in the marriage now under a couple years. The children are adults; I didn’t share in the mothering of them. I’m not called a ‘stepmom’ nor viewed as part of their covering. The arrangement is mutually desired (no dictation, I’m certain), was agreed upon prior to me meeting my spouse, and it’s now strongly highlighted due to recent circumstances. I’m desiring to speak my position on it, from as close a view as I can obtain from God/His word, since it will affect much within my life. 

• Thumbs Up 1