Dirt Eaters

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  225
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0

I never majored in literature, but I've always been fascinated with literature especially poetry. But over these past few months and reading the scripture especially in the Gospels I find that there is a lot of unique setup that has been done I think for our benefit.

As I've listened to the preachers over the months that I've been Christian I've noticed one little error. And that is that almost every time there is preaching that is done it is always with a short verse and not covering a larger perspective of scripture. So here I have a few examples of what I am talking about

If you look in the gospel of Mark, you'll notice that Jesus is talking about what is the kingdom of God like and you'll see that he does the parable of the lamp, of the measure, the seed growing by itself, and the mustard seed and I think that in answer to those same parables just beyond it we have a series of Miracles that take place.

And each of the Miracles in turn start out with the simplest going to the most complex in faith.

Jesus calms the storm. The next is the demon that comes out of the caves. And I want to point out with this, that the man himself had no control but it was the demons who caused him to run up to Jesus screaming "what are you going to do with us".

The next reading is kind of two in one the first being Jairus with his daughter and then the next is the woman with the hemorrhage.

And finally Jesus making the comment after the men came to him saying that his daughter had died. "Do not be afraid, only have faith"

I have found a lot of comparison between the gospel of Matthew and of Mark in the sense that there is a lot of depth in larger passages than just a simple verse. I'm not saying that simple verses are not necessary, but I am saying that there is more to be found than just in one sentence.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  206
  • Content Per Day:  0.35

We definitely must take a broad perspective on scripture. Else we miss obvious connections.

Like God asking Abraham to walk into the wilderness 7 days to sacrifice Isaac.

Before Jesus was sacrificed and resurrected on the 7th day.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.71

10 hours ago, Dirt Eaters said:

that is that almost every time there is preaching that is done it is always with a short verse and not covering a larger perspective of scripture.

Ask them why they don't look at the wider picture.

If you don't  get a good answer start looking gorgeous a church that does.

Be blunt about it and challenge there understanding, conclusions. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,307
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

The science of interpretation of written material, called hermeneutics, requires a step-by-step process ending in contextual analysis of the whole sieve of Scripture... every portion of study:  grammar, historical, cultural, contextual (immediate passage, chapter, book, testament, whole council) requires work and labor in the objective format of His written word...

2 Timothy 2:15 (KJV)

[15] Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  225
  • Content Per Day:  0.38

1 hour ago, enoob57 said:

The science of interpretation of written material, called hermeneutics, requires a step-by-step process ending in contextual analysis of the whole sieve of Scripture... every portion of study:  grammar, historical, cultural, contextual (immediate passage, chapter, book, testament, whole council) requires work and labor in the objective format of His written word...

2 Timothy 2:15 (KJV)

[15] Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

A book that was given to me a few months back that I really enjoyed reading and there was so much more in the pages than just reading the book I was just floored. The book was written by a lady by the name of Corrie Ten Boom, and in one of the passages that fits here really well. She says that reading scripture is like eating a candy bar you don't sit there and try to figure out what the ingredients are you just enjoy the candy bar.

No maybe that's a little bit too simplistic of a view of looking at the scripture. But when we take apart verse by verse what is written or even word by word in some cases it really takes away from the fullness of the scripture in my opinion.

If I recall reading somewhere someone's comment, that scripture is like reading a love letter from God to us.

I do understand what you mean by grammar, historical, cultural, and other things. I guess you could say there are many ways of reading scripture, or that God talks to each of us in our own ways in the scripture.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  2,907
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Birthday:  03/06/1952

12 hours ago, Dirt Eaters said:

I'm not saying that simple verses are not necessary, but I am saying that there is more to be found than just in one sentence.

We usually only quote the most important part so people know what scripture we are talking about. Of course the ideal situation is for people to look up the passage for themselves to study the context of the lesson. If we do not include the scripture reference, people will ask for one. Not very many, but a few will ask. 

21 minutes ago, Dirt Eaters said:

I guess you could say there are many ways of reading scripture

Hermeneutics is what people learn in Bible school. Even if you have pastors with just an associate degree. First, you look at who the Bible was originally written for and the meaning for them. Then you look at the meaning for us today. In the same way first you look at the literal understanding, then you look at the symbolic or deeper meaning. First, we understand the Bible as a child, then we become an adult and look for the deeper meaning. The age can range from third grade to fifth grade. Although we start Sunday school at around one year of age. We teach about Joshua and the battle of Jericho. We get them marching and singing. 

It happens all the time that people have not studied the basic rules of interpretation, and they come with some pretty wild ideas. It is good that you study literature. I run into that all the time. I will talk about a dream or a vision and people will say this cannot be true. It does not matter if it is true or not. Just apply the rules for how to interpret literature. No one has ever claimed that a Walt Disney movie is true. But they all understand the symbolism and the meaning of the story. 

As a general rule, if Jesus gives us names, then His story is considered to be true. If there are no names, then it is just symbolic. What some people call archetypes. The other words used are allegory, metaphor, paradigm, parable, homilies and so on. 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  349
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,504
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Good morning,

I agree with you about pastors and preachers “cherry-picking” selective verses for their sermons and teaching. I’ve never heard a sermon from the pulpit where the speaker spends time reviewing the context of what they are quoting. I suspect that is our job, being the noble Bereans and checking if it is so.

At my age, if a sermon were any longer than an hour, someone would have to shake me to wake me up. As soon as I was alert and discovered I had drool all over my lap, that would be embarrassing. 😊

Fortunately, the pew is not as comfortable as my soft cushy recliner. The wife constantly shouts, “DENNIS, WAKE UP; YOU ARE SNORING AND DROOLING ALL OVER THE PLACE!”

An hour sermon works out fine for me.

• Haha 2

• Followers:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.53
  • Days Won:  12

48 minutes ago, Dirt Eaters said:

A book that was given to me a few months back that I really enjoyed reading and there was so much more in the pages than just reading the book I was just floored. The book was written by a lady by the name of Corrie Ten Boom, and in one of the passages that fits here really well. She says that reading scripture is like eating a candy bar you don't sit there and try to figure out what the ingredients are you just enjoy the candy bar.

No maybe that's a little bit too simplistic of a view of looking at the scripture. But when we take apart verse by verse what is written or even word by word in some cases it really takes away from the fullness of the scripture in my opinion.

If I recall reading somewhere someone's comment, that scripture is like reading a love letter from God to us.

I do understand what you mean by grammar, historical, cultural, and other things. I guess you could say there are many ways of reading scripture, or that God talks to each of us in our own ways in the scripture.

I believe the Indians (from India, not Native Americans) have a proverb about the Bible, that it is like a river in which a gnat may drink and an elephant may swim. 

No matter at what level you are, there is something there for you.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.50
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

There is a term used called, “expository preaching”.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  2,907
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Birthday:  03/06/1952

40 minutes ago, Alive said:

There is a term used called, “expository preaching”.

Sometimes I still use the name expotheo. Meaning expository theology. It would take a book to define every word in the Bible. The very first word: "Beginning" could not be explained even if you used every book in the world. It would take a dictionary for every word that talks about having the Mind of Christ. 

John 21:25 Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.