• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  280
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  13,179
  • Content Per Day:  9.51
  • Days Won:  149

19 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

Someone on worthy a true believer wrote speaking in tongues is a sign for all believers that there saved. I personally believe this is false. And can be used to overthrow a person's faith in Christ. I do believe sometimes a person by the holy spirit can speak in another tongue. But not the normal experience of true believer. 

-We have had literally millions of people saved since the day of pentecost and

- Only a small percentage of those people have the gift of tongues.

A lot of teachings in the bible can be seen to be evidential or not, and in this case it is clearly evidential that not all believers speak in tongues, even many mature in the Lord who have been committed believers for years do not. 

This can only mean

- A very large percentage of believers have somehow 'missed' something we should all have.

- There are other interpretations to the scriptures some are misinterpreting to mean something they do not mean.

I am in agreement with that last statement.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  1

19 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

Someone on worthy a true believer wrote speaking in tongues is a sign for all believers that there saved. I personally believe this is false. And can be used to overthrow a person's faith in Christ. I do believe sometimes a person by the holy spirit can speak in another tongue. But not the normal experience of true believer. 

The gospel of John tells us of the promise of the Holy Spirit that would come from the Father - the Comforter, the Advocate, the Spirit of truth.

Acts tells us that the remaining disciples should tarry in Jerusalem and wait for the promise of the Father which would give power to discipleship to become bold and preach the full gospel of salvation to the world beginning in Jerusalem.

Isaiah 28:11  For with stammering lips and with a strange tongue shall it be spoken to this people; [the Jews]
12  To whom it was said: 'This is the rest, give ye rest to the weary; and this is the refreshing;' yet they would not hear.

Acts goes on to clearly prescribe the signs following disciples of Christ - miracles, healings, blessings, praying in tongues, and nine gifts of the Holy Spirit to be openly manifested in the body of Christ. 

The gospel is Pentecostal but tragically over time this truth was replaced by worldly state religion > the Roman church.

God did foresee all of this and has allowed Christianity to flourish and prosper over the centuries. God obviously supported the Reformation and the printing of Bibles in common languages for people to read the gospel for themselves.

This has lead to many successive "awakenings" and revivals coming to the holiness movement and the divine healing churches of the late nineteenth century. Then from the 1880s came the beginnings of Pentecostal revivals and people were baptized in the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues. And with that came again the power of God manifested in the lives of converted believers - with  laying on of hands, praying in the Holy Spirit [tongues], miracles, healings, understanding the scriptures more fully, the power to overcome sin and worldliness ... 

God knew that there would be a period of centuries between the first and latter rains of the Holy Spirit and that millions of peoples would sincerely believe in Jesus as their Lord and Saviour and in doing righteousness - but that they would not have the indwelling Holy Spirit as Pentecostal Christians have - BUT such peoples are not condemned simply because of this. 

For our God is a God of mercy and grace and came into the world so that people could be saved from doing wickedness (and to destroy the works of satan). Looking back over history one can see that God has blessed Christian nations and the missionaries that brought various church faiths across the world to many peoples and cultures.

In the end there are two types of Christians - 

1) those who are sons and daughters of God our Father by adoption of the Holy Spirit [Romans 8:14-17] and (2) those who are servants of our Lord Jesus and the gospel by virtue of their faith in the gospel and righteousness.

Both are blessed; and non-Pentecostals do enjoy some miracles and healings, blessings and answered prayers.

Edited by Waggles

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  786
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,973
  • Content Per Day:  3.02

17 hours ago, heartwashed3 said:

(NLT)1Co 12:29

Are we all apostles? Are we all prophets? Are we all teachers? Do we all have the power to do miracles?
Do we all have the gift of healing? Do we all have the ability to speak in unknown languages? Do we all have the ability to interpret unknown languages? Of course not!

Unknown language here means Xenolalia and not glodolalia.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  800
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/02/1973

28 minutes ago, R. Hartono said:

I think that we can get the intended meaning by reading what it says in English.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.19
  • Days Won:  115

23 minutes ago, R. Hartono said:

According to my Interlinear, the Greek in 1 Corinthians 12:30 does use the word glossais (G1100).  What are you using? 

Acts 19:5  And when they heard this, they were baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus. 
6  And when Paul had laid hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them; and they spoke with tongues, and prophesied.

Happened to me.

I came across some testimonies to changed lives by the power of God and baptism of the Holy Spirit with the Bible evidence of speaking in tongues. I was Roman Catholic at the time and was doubtful about how true these testimonies were.

So I asked a man who witnessed to me, "Is this true?" And he shared his testimony of how he came to be saved by the gospel. Afterwards he opened up his KJV Bible and went through many scriptures with me, beginning at John 3.

I was rattled and I kept thinking to myself, 'what if these scripture verses are true and I do indeed to receive the Holy Spirit to become changed into a Bible Christian?' So i started reading my NT paperback and was surprized at just how much teaching there was about the Holy Spirit; worshipping in the Spirit; praying in the Holy Spirit; sins following; gifts of the Spirit; the work of the Holy Spirit.

Anyway to cut a long story short on the 1st day of December 1996 (32 days after I was water baptized confessing my faith in Jesus as my Lord and Saviour) I was in the prayer room praying to seek the baptism of the Holy Spirit and just as Jesus promised I burst forth in tongues with a mighty infilling of the Spirit of God - I knew immediately that Jesus was alive and that God dwelt within me. I knew that the Bible was all true and was also Jesus. I knew spiritual things, not believed but knew like I know natural things.

God instantly healed me from a multitude of ailments and addictions - the Holy Spirit healed my kidneys and I stopped bleeding out into my urine; God healed me from cigarettes, marijuana and using amphetamines that very afternoon without pain or any withdrawal. Jesus said the truth shall make you free and he did it. Over time God healed my smoker's lungs and my lifestyle.

I pray in tongues - I pray in the Holy Spirit - everyday often and that is the norm for me. Powerful and full of blessings; especially when I pray for others who have great needs.

Luke 11:13  If ye therefore, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more shall the Father who is from heaven give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

John 14:20  In that day YE shall know that I am in my Father, and YE in me, and I in you. 
21  Who hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and who loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Edited by Waggles
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  483
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,588
  • Content Per Day:  2.25
  • Days Won:  9

Tongues can be a sign for the unbeliver and also to edify oneself. Paul said if there is no one to interpret the tongue's the believer should speak to himself and God. But definitely it's not a sign your saved. The devil's can speak in tongues 

12 minutes ago, Wayne222 said:

The devil's can speak in tongues 

Well obviously as devils are angels. And praying in tongues is a spiritual language that is above and beyond the natural mind.

1Cor 13:1  If with the tongues of men I speak, and of angels, but have not love, I am become sounding brass, or a clanging cymbal.

1Cor 14:2  For who speaketh in a tongue speaketh not to men, but to God; for no one understandeth; but in spirit he speaketh mysteries.

1Cor 14:14  For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding [mind] is unfruitful. 
15  What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

John 4:23  But an hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and truth: for even such the Father seeketh as his worshippers. 
24  God is Spirit: and who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.

Therefore being a Spirit-filled Christian I pray to God in the power of his Holy Spirit in a spiritual language that I certainly did not learn, but was given to me.

Jude 1:19  These are they who make separations, having only soul, not having Spirit. 
20  But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, 
21  keep yourselves in God’s love, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

Edited by Waggles

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  7,026
  • Content Per Day:  12.30
  • Days Won:  31

On 12/10/2022 at 11:29 PM, walla299 said:

There are denominations out there that believe this but it is not a salvation issue. I usually point out that Paul makes it clear that it is the Holy Spirit who decide who gets what gift in 1 Corinthians 12-14.

I think we need to remember also the unlike in the times of the Acts of the Apostles the Bible is now complete....

4 hours ago, farouk said:

I think we need to remember also the unlike in the times of the Acts of the Apostles the Bible is now complete....

Irrelevant

You are simply justifying departing from the gospel

It is believing the scriptures and seeking for the baptism of the Holy Spirit that allows a contrite heart to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit with the scripture evidence of speaking in tongues - praying in the Holy Spirit.

Galatians 1:6  I marvel that ye are so quickly removing from him that called you in Christ’s grace unto a different gospel; 
1:7  which is not another: only there are some that trouble you, and wish to pervert the gospel of the Christ.

Mark 16:15  And [Jesus] said to them, Go into all the world, and preach the gospel to the whole creation. 
Mar 16:16  Who hath believed and is baptized shall be saved; but who hath disbelieved shall be condemned. 
Mar 16:17  And these signs shall follow them that have believed: in my name shall they cast out demons, speak with tongues; 

Edited by Waggles