JoeCanada

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,275
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  0

The whole point in airing this video is to show how far the 'church' has left its first love.

I was shocked when I first watched it...... shaking my head in disbelief. 

Now.... of course this is not  'all churches'. 

But is it where mainstream churches are heading? They seem to need 'something' to lure more people in. And preaching a gospel where sin is mentioned?.... that's taboo. But, sensationalism..... now we're talking. Sign me up................ (not me :)

I think those who go for this 'circus style service' are those who 'fall away'. There is no root, no grounding in scripture. They just love the fantasy. And their kids?....perhaps this is all the 'gospel' they know..... so sad!

Like Ed Sullivan used to say.... "We have a really big show for you tonite...."

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

4 minutes ago, JoeCanada said:

The whole point in airing this video is to show how far the 'church' has left its first love.

I was shocked when I first watched it...... shaking my head in disbelief. 

Now.... of course this is not  'all churches'. 

But is it where mainstream churches are heading? They seem to need 'something' to lure more people in. And preaching a gospel where sin is mentioned?.... that's taboo. But, sensationalism..... now we're talking. Sign me up................ (not me :)

I think those who go for this 'circus style service' are those who 'fall away'. There is no root, no grounding in scripture. They just love the fantasy. And their kids?....perhaps this is all the 'gospel' they know..... so sad!

Like Ed Sullivan used to say.... "We have a really big show for you tonite...."

Brandon Holthaus usually always right on,agree with you brother 

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,507
  • Content Per Day:  6.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

15 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

There is a growing number, recorded on the census in the religious area, that are called the `nones. ` This means that they have no church organization affiliation. 

Wayne Jacobson, a former minister in an organization, left and wrote a book (years ago) called `So you don`t go to church anymore.` He also has a site called `The God Journey. ` He and his wife also visit many groups around the country, (America) and overseas. They encourage people on their walk with the Lord and not to come under religious obligation of man. 

So, you can get a view of the real believers who are `holding fast to the Head. ` 

Where is this "religious section"?  And by "no church organization affiliation" - does that mean they don't gather with any others (in person), or that they are not part of a denomination, or . . . ?

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,628
  • Content Per Day:  1.14

I have stopped attending church. 

I was once an elder but stopped attending because of the COVID-19 danger.  There are parts that I miss -- the fellowship of great people -- but I don't miss the "theatre".  I never really enjoyed the music and, as far as the sermons go, I have heard almost all that was said.  The sermons that I gave were well-received, but I really had nothing more to share.

These days, I spend a lot of time reading the Bible, praying (including praying in tongues), and communicating with others on forums such as this.

I am still "walking with the Lord" every day and try my best to follow the guidance of the Holy Spirit.  I am ready to be with the Lord whenever He calls me.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,507
  • Content Per Day:  6.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

21 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

I have stopped attending church. 

I was once an elder but stopped attending because of the COVID-19 danger.  There are parts that I miss -- the fellowship of great people -- but I don't miss the "theatre".  I never really enjoyed the music and, as far as the sermons go, I have heard almost all that was said.  The sermons that I gave were well-received, but I really had nothing more to share.

These days, I spend a lot of time reading the Bible, praying (including praying in tongues), and communicating with others on forums such as this.

I am still "walking with the Lord" every day and try my best to follow the guidance of the Holy Spirit.  I am ready to be with the Lord whenever He calls me.

Bro Jimmy - sorry you've had such an experience with the assembling together.  I enjoy the online experience, but I have to say I've been most blessed with a rich fellowship group for 25 years now, and it hasn't gotten old at all - we're seeing and experiencing new things of Christ all the time.  It's a small group and if everyone shows up on Sunday we'll have around 50.  The singing and worship is quite heartfelt and enjoyable (1 piano & 1 guitar).  Several folks give short testimonies of what the Lord is doing in their lives, and there's often prayer for ones who ask for it.  A number of brothers take turns giving the main, Sunday morning ministry message.  Throughout the week I have 2-4 small gatherings for fellowship and or some specific function.

I sincerely pray that you and everyone could experience this kind of ongoing fellowship!  It has just been good and simple, and no one has ever laid on me any legalistic requirements.

I'm not sharing this to boast, just to let you know there are groups out there that aren't into the "circus" and marketing stuff, and who just want to pursue the Lord in simplicity.  We are all members of the one body, and need each other - that's how He made us.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,628
  • Content Per Day:  1.14

55 minutes ago, Vine Abider said:

Bro Jimmy - sorry you've had such an experience with the assembling together.  I enjoy the online experience, but I have to say I've been most blessed with a rich fellowship group for 25 years now, and it hasn't gotten old at all - we're seeing and experiencing new things of Christ all the time.  It's a small group and if everyone shows up on Sunday we'll have around 50.  The singing and worship is quite heartfelt and enjoyable (1 piano & 1 guitar).  Several folks give short testimonies of what the Lord is doing in their lives, and there's often prayer for ones who ask for it.  A number of brothers take turns giving the main, Sunday morning ministry message.  Throughout the week I have 2-4 small gatherings for fellowship and or some specific function.

I sincerely pray that you and everyone could experience this kind of ongoing fellowship!  It has just been good and simple, and no one has ever laid on me any legalistic requirements.

I'm not sharing this to boast, just to let you know there are groups out there that aren't into the "circus" and marketing stuff, and who just want to pursue the Lord in simplicity.  We are all members of the one body, and need each other - that's how He made us.

Thanks for the post.  I neglected to mention that I attended church regularly for more than 40 years -- ever since I becmae a Christian.  This year I turn 80, so I don't go to town very often.  I have also attended and led Bible study gatherings for almost as long.

None of the churches that I attended were into the "circus" and marketing stuff, although there was always the request for money (tithes) to keep the ministry going: minister's salary, rent of the building, etc.

There are some aspects that I miss, but there are many things that I miss, not just church.