IGNORED

Is One of the main overarching meanings of ( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) is that love is gentle & patient?

bartmac123

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  452
  • Topics Per Day:  0.32
  • Content Count:  521
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0

There is a lot of debate surrounding ( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) as to

1. whether the "Subject" which in this case is the speaker is the bride or the groom?

2. why the "Direct Object" which are the "Daughters of Jerusalem" are addressed as Masculine Plural in The Old Testament Plural even though "Daughters of Jerusalem" is by and in itself feminine plural?

3. whether the "Indirect Object" is the bride, groom or even just referring to the general affection of love?

שיר השירים 2:7

The Westminster Leningrad Codex

7 הִשְׁבַּ֨עְתִּי אֶתְכֶ֜ם בְּנ֤וֹת יְרוּשָׁלִַ֙ם֙ בִּצְבָא֔וֹת א֖וֹ בְּאַיְל֣וֹת הַשָּׂדֶ֑ה אִם־תָּעִ֧ירוּ׀ וְֽאִם־תְּעֽוֹרְר֛וּ אֶת־הָאַהֲבָ֖ה עַ֥ד שֶׁתֶּחְפָּֽץ׃ ס

( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) New International Version Daughters of Jerusalem, I charge you by the gazelles and by the does of the field: Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires.

( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) New Living Translation Promise me, O women of Jerusalem, by the gazelles and wild deer, not to awaken love until the time is right.

( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) English Standard Version I adjure you, O daughters of Jerusalem, by the gazelles or the does of the field, that you not stir up or awaken love until it pleases.

( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) Berean Standard Bible O daughters of Jerusalem, I adjure you by the gazelles and does of the field: Do not arouse or awaken love until the time is right.

( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) King James Bible I charge you, O ye daughters of Jerusalem, by the roes, and by the hinds of the field, that ye stir not up, nor awake my love, till he please.

( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) New King James Version I charge you, O daughters of Jerusalem, By the gazelles or by the does of the field, Do not stir up nor awaken love Until it pleases.

( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) New American Standard Bible “Swear to me, you daughters of Jerusalem, By the gazelles or by the does of the field, That you will not disturb or awaken my love Until she pleases.”

( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) NASB 1995 “I adjure you, O daughters of Jerusalem, By the gazelles or by the hinds of the field, That you do not arouse or awaken my love Until she pleases.”

However, regardless of all the debatable aspects of ( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) mentioned at the top of this post, is One of the main overarching meanings of ( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) is that love is gentle & patient? What would it have meant to the ancient biblical readers at that time? ( To sort of elaborate, would the ( Song of Solomon 2:7 ) bible verse been a good reprimanding verse for

• ( 2 Samuel 13:11-14 ) Amnon who raped his half-sister Tamar

• (Genesis 34:1-5) Shechem who lay with Dinah by force