• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,594
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

14 minutes ago, Dave-regenerated said:

I said nothing about converting family members.  I was just trying to describe what I think the meaning of Jesus' words was in relation to other contexts and examples from scripture as to the interpretation of the passages in hand here.  

Obviously hyperbole is used by Jesus many times and sarcasm is used in the Bible too, and people can't always get the gist of it.

Shalom, Dave-regenerated.

Right. And, our Lord used a good bit of humor which we often don't understand anymore.

I have a friend and former pastor in Wisconsin who told the story of having his daily devotions with his family, and his son, who was about 8 or 9 at the time, just BURST out laughing! He looked at his son most seriously and said, "Son, this is the Bible we are studying, you're not supposed to be laughing at it," and his son replied, "But, DaaaAD! It's FUNNY!" and he laughed louder!

They were reading, 

1 “Do not judge, so that you will not be judged. 2 For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. 3 Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ and LOOK, the log is in your own eye?! 5 You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye!" - Matthew 7:1-5 (NASB)

If you can picture it in your mind, it IS FUNNY! LOL!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26

5 hours ago, Mr. M said:

From the instructions for a Nazirite Vow

Numbers 6:6 All the days that he separates himself to the Lord he shall not go near a dead body. 

The sons of Aaron serving in the priesthood were restricted from contact with the dead, limited to their immediate family. In this case, the Lord is being more restrictive, therefore, I would consider the Nazirite Vow.

Luke 9:

59 Then He said to another, “Follow Me.”

But he said, “Lord, let me first go and bury my father.”

Being a Levitical priest and being a Son of Aaron is not exactly the same.  Not all Levites were sons of Aaron.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.36
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  7.10
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

1 minute ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

Being a Levitical priest and being a Son of Aaron is not exactly the same.  Not all Levites were sons of Aaron.

That is why I specified "sons of Aaron".

1 minute ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

The sons of Aaron serving in the priesthood were restricted from contact with the dead, limited to their immediate family.

Levite does not equal "priest". Sons of Aaron ministered the Sanctuary.

Levites ministered in other functions pertaining to the temple. For example, musicians.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.36
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  7.10
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

28 minutes ago, Retrobyter said:

If you can picture it in your mind, it IS FUNNY! LOL!

In the video series complete Gospel of Matthew, it is presented exactly as such.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26

Just now, Mr. M said:

That is why I specified "sons of Aaron".

Levite does not equal "priest". Sons of Aaron ministered the Sanctuary.

Levites ministered in other functions pertaining to the temple. For example, musicians.

Correct only the descendants of Aaron could serve as priests but the other Levites were in charge of the Sanctuary and all its items but they could not serve in the role of priests.  This is why I believe Mary the mother of Yahshua was a descendant of Aaron since he now serves as a High priest.  We know from the scriptures that Elizabeth was a daughter of Aaron and it would only make logical sense that Mary was also a daughter of Aaron since they were cousins.  Yahshua's blood comes from his mother since Joseph was not his biological father.

There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judaea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the course of Abia: and his wife [was] of the daughters of Aaron, and her name [was] Elisabeth. - Luk 1:5 KJV

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  162
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,840
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/23/1964

When he said 'Let me first bury my father' I think he meant that he would follow him after his elderly father passed away - that he was not actually dead yet

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  201
  • Topics Per Day:  0.37
  • Content Count:  3,429
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

3 hours ago, Dave-regenerated said:

To me it just means the spiritually dead.  Similar to when Jesus said to hate your family if they are more important to you than Jesus is.

And that is what I see too.  I had an instance where someone died in the extended family.  I had no sense from the Lord to go, and this verse (Matt 8:22) came to me.  Those who don't know the Lord are walking dead, with no spiritual life or awareness.  To them physical death is the end of everything and they put together elaborate rituals, getting together to mourn and console one another.  I believe the Lord was showing me the ceremony was a totally human and futile construct and that I didn't need to be a part of it.

One positive thing is that people who have lost someone are usually sensitive and perhaps open to hearing the spoken word for some comfort. And perhaps the Lord can have a way in them through that. 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,853
  • Content Per Day:  2.42

1 hour ago, Retrobyter said:

Shabbat shalom, all.

I was just saying in another thread, that only the New Living Translation and the Amplified Bible use the words "spiritually dead" together. All other versions I've seen just said, "dead." The Greek word translated as "spiritual," the adjective "pneumatikos" (4152, πνευματικός, ή, όν), is not there in any of the Gospels. Of the 26 places it IS found, it's found in Romans 3 times (1:11, 7:14, and 15:27), in 1 Corinthians 15 times (2:13 twice, 2:15, 3:1, 9:11, 1o:3, 10:4 twice, 12:1, 14:1, 14:37, 15:44 twice, and 46 twice), in Galatians once (6:1), in Ephesians 3 times (1:3, 5:19, and 6:12), in Colossians twice (1:9 and 3:16), and in 1 Peter once (2:5). The Greek word translated "spiritually" is the Greek adverb "pneumatikoos" (4153 πνευματικῶς). It is found only twice: 1 Corinthians 2:14 and Revelation 11:8.

In 1 Corinthians 15:44, the word πνευματικόν "pneumatikon" (the neuter gender) means "blasting [like the wind]," and it is compared to the Greek word ψυχικόν "psuchikon," which means "breathing." Both are adjectives that modify the noun, σῶμα "sooma," or "body." "It is sown a "breathing body"; it is raised a "blasting [like the wind] body!" 

The word πνεῦμα "pneuma," which means "wind" and can be likened to a person's ability to breathe as a "wind going in" (inhaling) and a "wind going out" (exhaling), is only of consequence while a person is alive. After a person dies, he gives up the breath, and will breathe no more until the Resurrection! This was said of the Messiah Himself at His death:

Luke 23:44-46 (KJV)

44 And it was about the sixth hour, and there was a darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour. 45 And the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst. 46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said,

"Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit (Greek: τὸ πνεῦμά μου, to pneuma mou = 'the wind/breath of-me')":

and having said thus, he gave up the ghost (Greek: ἐξέπνευσεν, exepneusen = "he-expired").

This last word contains the root "pneu" referring to "pneuma." (Indeed, our very word "expired" comes from Latin and means "to breathe out.")

Shalom Retrobyter, 

Inhale, exhale....this is for every living being because they all need oxygen...if there is not enough oxygen in the air one can inhale all he wants and exhale all he wants but he is still is going to gaps for breath because it is oxygen he needs. ..keep the air out and give them oxygen so they can live...

No blasting like a wind...and not wind...at all...

The no material part of man...the one who Tabernacle's in the body of man ...in his own body..

As Peter and Paul said soon enough the Lord show me that I will live  this tabernacle behind and go to the Lord...

Edited by Your closest friendnt

6 hours ago, Mr. M said:

Numbers 6:6 All the days that he separates himself to the Lord he shall not go near a dead body. 

The sons of Aaron serving in the priesthood were restricted from contact with the dead, limited to their immediate family. In this case, the Lord is being more restrictive, therefore, I would consider the Nazirite Vow.

Luke 9:

This is commendable of what you posted....

Jesus told his disciple not to defile himself by going to buried his Father....of course he would touch his body and defile himself or he will touch the defiled people who have touch the dead body...lifeless body...on medical terms they call it a corps...but not in the community...where they used comfort names...

The point Jesus Christ made was to his disciple ....you do not defile your self because you were chosen to preached the Gospel....do not knocked out your self from the Mission I have given you...

Jesus had given this mission to him and not to his relatives or the other people...Jesus said to him let them bury him....he did not say anything against it...

Now this was during the time of the Sinai Covenant...and it was about the Jews only and of course the Gallilians and not about believers in Jesus Christ...

That time as in the book of Leviticus when someone touches a dead person he is defiled and he needs to served the term of his defilement and then do the rituals to be declared clean and enter the community again and participate in their religious activities..

Thus the unclean person or defiled person is like exiled from the community just like a leper was for the time of his uncleaniness. 

They could not appeared before God in their uncleaniness..

That's why Jesus called them dead...and this is why the disciples understood them, and they did not make a fuss about it...

Those people Jesus call dead were the were Alive to God they were not dead to God...they were not Gentiles without any hope...to be alive to God...and we are still in the Sinai Covenant .

They were defiled and unclean and they could not present themselves to the Lord which means that they could not participate in any religious celebrations not even take dinner together with the family so they new that for some reason he was ceremonially unclean and stay away from him not to defile them selves. Till the period of uncleaniness was over...and they had to do the cleansing rituals to re enter the community...of clean people. 

A clean people a Holy Nation that was something...A Holy Nation in the Covenant of Sinai...

Again the people Jesus call dead it was because of their defilement from the dead person...

Those people were alive to God...God was their God when they lived and still after they died they were gathered to Abraham who was also Alive to God to where he was....this is what God gave them till the time of Jesus Christ who will give them the Eternal Life...

God could give them Life but he could not give them the Eternal Life because the Eternal Life came with Jesus in the world...he was the first one to be declared in the eternal Life...

• Interesting! 1

7 hours ago, Mr. M said:

Luke 9:

This is why in the story of the good Samaritan the Priest approached very carefully and stay in distant because he did not wanted to defile himself as it was forbidden by the Law just in case....

He observed the person carefully as if he wanted to know if he was dead or alive...

Any way that it was in the culture of the Covenant of Sinai....which out of interest it continued after the Sinai Covenant ended...

It shows that the Priests were not heartless people but they had to abide by the rules in the book of Leviticus...

Because it is not fair to see the Priest without the restrictions that he was bind with...the restrictions on the Priest...

Today @Mr. M, with your comments on your post you set me free of the misjudgment of the Priest in the story of the Good Samaritan because all my life I had seen him without the  restrictions that were imposed on him which restrained his actions even when he wanted to....be kind to the injured person and hold his hand or his head or giving him first aid and take the chance that he may die while he is confronting him...

Thank you 

• Well Said! 1