IGNORED

Am I the only one struggling to be salt and light?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,249
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  20

Today I am again struggling with how to be salt and light in a dying world.  I have spent hours in scripture seeking how the Lord intends for us to speak to those who are continually living in their sins and disobedience.  Not just the unsaved but those who confess to be saved also.  I know how to be a light and shine his love but I struggle with the salt part.  In Luke 13:3 and 5 Jesus said;  'I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish. ' then he went on to tell them about the tree that did not bear fruit, that there would be one more chance for the tree before it was thrown into the fire.  Many times he spoke of those who would not repent and what would happen to them.  I think this was his saltiness for the people.  Repent or die.

How are we to be salt in a world that is decaying?  I know how to be light and spread the love of Christ and his gift of salvation but how are we suppose to effectively be the salt?  Salt is a preservative and keeps food from decay.  It also adds flavor to the food.  The word of God is food for the hungry.  I have people in my life who do not want to hear about the salt and only want to hear about the light. 

I would love to hear from those who have figured out how to balance both the salt and light of Jesus.

'I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish. ' Luke 13:3 https://my.bible.com/bible/111/LUK.13.3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.79
  • Days Won:  1

12 minutes ago, debrakay said:

I have people in my life who do not want to hear about the salt and only want to hear about the light. 

Keep in mind that you cannot change other people to be who you desire them to be, you don't have the Authority for that, but you can change yourself and as you change those around you will change accordingly.

Deepen your own understanding, change yourself, and it will rub off on the others in your life.  Sometimes we have to reach one level of understanding before we can move on to the next one, and everyone is at a different level, one where they need to be now.

Prayer for knowledge of God's will for you and help in carrying it out always makes things easier.

My thoughts, use them if you find value in them and ignore them if not.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,823
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

23 minutes ago, debrakay said:

.... but how are we suppose to effectively be the salt?  Salt is a preservative and keeps food from decay.  It also adds flavor to the food.  The word of God is food for the hungry.  I have people in my life who do not want to hear about the salt and only want to hear about the light.

What you say about salt is true and don't forget......salt makes people thirsty.

Jesus said that if we hunger and thirst for righteousness that we will be filled.

Just live your life as close to obedience to God as possible.  Pray for those you know that God will use you to make them "thirsty".

This kind of thing takes much time.

17 minutes ago, Jayne said:

What you say about salt is true and don't forget......salt makes people thirsty.

Thank you for this reminder too Jayne.  Living Water for a dry and thirsty land!  Even with my 40+ year walk with Jesus I find days that are hard to walk in.  We persevere for His glory!

• Thumbs Up 1

@FJK Thank you for your words of encouragement.  It is sometimes difficult to get others to understand that our calling in life is not the same as their calling in life and that each of us have different ministries.  It's not easy to stand on the street with a sign that says "Repent or perish!"  Even our Christian brothers and sisters will mock and ridicule us for the gloom and doom speeches.  But we persevere for Christ's glory!

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  340
  • Topics Per Day:  0.42
  • Content Count:  2,097
  • Content Per Day:  2.56
  • Days Won:  5

Shalom. Yes, many wanna be and have "light", but few wanna be and have "salt", I believe. I wanna be both SALT and light! 

I believe that I am salt by living a Holy and Godly life in the LORD, not participating in a worldly and unholy and ungodly lifestyle, but be holy both inwardly and outwardly (dressing myself decent in long covering dresses and skirts only etc), and then the world will see that it is a difference between me and them, as it should be. 😊 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  956
  • Content Per Day:  2.40

21 hours ago, debrakay said:

Today I am again struggling with how to be salt and light in a dying world.  I have spent hours in scripture seeking how the Lord intends for us to speak to those who are continually living in their sins and disobedience.  Not just the unsaved but those who confess to be saved also.  I know how to be a light and shine his love but I struggle with the salt part.  In Luke 13:3 and 5 Jesus said;  'I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish. ' then he went on to tell them about the tree that did not bear fruit, that there would be one more chance for the tree before it was thrown into the fire.  Many times he spoke of those who would not repent and what would happen to them.  I think this was his saltiness for the people.  Repent or die.

How are we to be salt in a world that is decaying?  I know how to be light and spread the love of Christ and his gift of salvation but how are we suppose to effectively be the salt?  Salt is a preservative and keeps food from decay.  It also adds flavor to the food.  The word of God is food for the hungry.  I have people in my life who do not want to hear about the salt and only want to hear about the light. 

I would love to hear from those who have figured out how to balance both the salt and light of Jesus.

'I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish. ' Luke 13:3 https://my.bible.com/bible/111/LUK.13.3

Those who shy away from the call to repent from sins or all sins before coming to & believing in Jesus Christ, should know that Jesus Christ came to save sinners from their sins too and help them daily to lay aside those weights & sins thus walking in the light in fellowship with the Father & the Son, and not just give them eternal life.

Sometimes the call to repent given to sinners mislead them into thinking they have to get their life in order & clean up their act before coming to & believing in Jesus Christ to be saved.  

Some evangelicals apply Acts 2:38 as if that is a call to repent from all sins when Peter was just saying to the Jews that were pricked in their hearts for having crucified Jesus Christ in unbelief ( Acts 2:36-37 ) to repent from unbelief by believing in Him for how they would get the remission of sins and the promise of the Holy Ghost at their salvation.  

Acts 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ. 37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? 38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. 39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call. 40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

A few Christians will argue over this with me but this SAME Peter preached the same gospel to the Gentiles that it is by believing in Him is how one receives the remission of sins and when the Gentiles heard the word, obviously believed, they got the Holy Ghost before they came forward to be water baptized, and even before they confessed Him with their mouths.  Acts 10:44-18

Acts 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins. 44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. 45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. 46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, 47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Now you may have many that believe in Him and are saved but maybe they just need to know Jesus can deliver them from their sins and help keep them from their sins daily because that is what discipleship as in running that race is all about.  Now that they have been reconciled to God through Jesus Christ, they need to trust Jesus Christ as their personal Good Shepherd & Friend to help them to follow Him because that is the only way they and we can live this reconciled relationship with God and that is thru Jesus Christ.

They may not see it in themselves as being able to do it since as sinners, they may have tried to stop before and failed, but now Jesus Christ is in them, they need to apply that faith in him to destroy the works of the devil in their lives to be able to follow Him.

Some evangelicals today give the apostate altar call to make a commitment or a promise to follow Christ & they know they cannot do it.  That is why trust is the basis for all relationships as we are to trust Jesus Christ to be our personal Good Shepherd & Friend to help us to follow Him as our confidence is in Him to finish His work in us to His glory as we become fruitful & joyful in the Lord.

John 6:28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? 29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:... 11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

Galatians 5:1Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.... 5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

1 John 3:1Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. 2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

2 Timothy 4:18 And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Jude 1:24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, 25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

We have been saved by faith in Jesus Christ as our Saviour and so it stands to reason that we are to live by faith in Jesus Christ in being our Good Shepherd & Friend for how we are to follow Him.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  6,507
  • Content Per Day:  12.21
  • Days Won:  31

On 4/15/2023 at 2:57 PM, debrakay said:

Thank you for this reminder too Jayne.  Living Water for a dry and thirsty land!  Even with my 40+ year walk with Jesus I find days that are hard to walk in.  We persevere for His glory!

@debrakay The early believers in Acts 2.42 'continued steadfastly....' etc. By God's grace, He strengthens His people. Psalm 29.11: "The Lord will give strength unto his people; the Lord will bless his people with peace."

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72
  • Days Won:  0

As I understand Matt 5:13+14 is that we are not setting out to be or to do, but that is what we are.

If we are following Jesus, if we are seeking to obey him, to be like him, then as a result we will be salt and light to the world.

A part of this that is not popular  is 1 Peter3:15, always be prepared to give the reason for your hope.

To give a reason why one believes means learning what and why one believes.

Christianity 8s not about just having faith.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,486
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

On 4/15/2023 at 1:10 PM, debrakay said:

I agree with the following short commentary on salt and how to use it. You explained everything this commentary mentions. It relates to Matthew 5:13.

Salt has many uses, but in the OT it is most often a purifying agent (Ex 30:35; Lev 2:13; 2 Ki 2:21; Eze 16:4). As the salt of the earth, Jesus’ disciples are to purify a corrupt world through their example of righteous living and their proclamation of the gospel. However, contaminated salt does not promote purity. The verb translated lose its taste indicates foolish and immoral behavior. It refers to a professing disciple whose unrighteous lifestyle promotes destruction rather than purification. Such salt is only good for spreading over ground where you want to kill vegetation. Such is the fatal effect of an unrighteous disciple’s lifestyle. Nothing grows where they go. The verb thrown out describes the disposal of something worthless, and the verb trampled alludes to the treatment an immoral disciple receives from the world.[1]

[1] Quarles, Charles L. “Matthew.” Holman Illustrated Bible Commentary. Ed. E. Ray Clendenen and Jeremy Royal Howard. Broadman & Holman, 2015. 1013–1014. Print.