PATrobas

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  173
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Days Won:  0

Jesus was filled with the Holy Spirit from His conception. Then, at His baptism, we see the Holy Spirit coming upon Him in the form of a dove, anointing and filling Him in preparation for His public ministry. He was never apart from His Father nor the Holy Spirit until His death on the cross when He cried out My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?Mark 15:34 Thus, the man Jesus died alone. But as I studied His public ministry, which He performed by the power of the Holy Spirit, I found that  Jesus manifested every spiritual gift and ministry ever given to men (as outlined in 1 Corinthians 12:7-11, Romans 12:6-8, and Ephesians 4:11,) except one. That one exception is the speaking in, and the interpretation of tongues. There is no Biblical record of Him ever exercising that gift. This seemed odd to me until it occurred to me that perhaps He did exercise a form of the gift of tongues when He spoke to the people in parables. By speaking in parables, He was fulfilling the purpose and ministry of the gift of tongues. A look back at Israel provides some insight to how they are tied together.

God sent prophets to rebellious Israel, telling them to repent, and to hear and obey God. When Israel rejected the prophet’s message, God sent a people of another tongue, or foreigners, to take them captive as a corrective discipline. Yet even then, the people of Israel would not listen. They did not have a heart towards God to understand what He was doing. Isaiah 28:11-12; 1 Corinthians 14:21 So just as the prophets spoke, and the foreigners came to discipline Israel, Jesus comes along and speaks in parables. But like someone speaking in a foreign language, Jesus’ words were not understood by those who were following Him. When the disciples asked Jesus to interpret the parables, He told them that only to those who seek Him and desire to understand the kingdom of God, would He reveal the meanings by the Holy Spirit. Mark 4:11-12 Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians 14 that tongues are a sign for those who believe not. Literally, ones that will not believe. In other words, tongues are a sign of God’s discipline upon a rebellious people, not a sign of supernatural holiness to the church. Thus, Jesus spoke in parables and interpreted them to those who had a heart to hear, saying, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand.Luke 8:10 from Jeremiah 5:21

Final Thoughts:  Deuteronomy 29:29 says, “The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us…” It is not that God withholds eternal life from some and gives it to others at random, for 2 Peter 3:9 says, “(the Lord is) not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.” But because salvation is of God, and not by man’s wisdom, He reveals Himself to those who by faith seek Him and His Word, and not to them who follow their own gods. Jeremiah 29:13; Acts 28:26-27

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,937
  • Content Per Day:  3.07
  • Days Won:  1

Its a gift to help man not God.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

Hello,

It really depends on your understanding of WHAT TONGUES are...Jesus didn't bable in an unearthly language...but HE did speak to many different language groups in their own language....

THE BATTLE RAGES TIL THE LION ROARS!!,

Clarence

• Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

To read if everything Jesus said and did was written.. I don't think there would be enough books. Some say the 12 were filled with the holy Spirit before Christ left because He breathed on them and said receive. Yet they were told to wait for the promise. Now Christ after He rose was walking this earth for 40 days told them the holy Spirit will not come unless He leaves. I shouldn't have to say more.

Some love to talk about obey and if we love Jesus we... . So read John 3:16-17 is that Gods desire? Now read Luke 11:13 is that Gods desire? I struggle with this part because I read "He will give the holy Spirit to them that ask". What's the hang up here? The great I AM... GOD the maker of everything we see and touch and made us.  Not asking what Perry Stone says or Kenneth Hagin or Billy Graham or John MacArthur believes. Its so wise to read study and find out what those that came before us said. But at some point you can't keep quoting them you have to find the truth. You know I found God since creation has never changed. I see Christ and the sweet holy Spirit and I see the same love in the OT. Same God same Christ same holy Spirit. 

Not like were talking about what was that Mark 11:24? haha "You do know that is not in some ancient texts". What do you think will happen if you asked the Father for the holy Spirit? Do you think because you were taught "you already have it so you never need to ask". Not written but sure ok. But hmm what if you asked anyway? Oh no what would GOD give you? You have not because you ask not or you asked wrong. If you know He hears you then you know you have the petitions you asked for. What ever you desire when you pray believe you receive it you will have it. Delight your self in the lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. <--but the key to have that work is "commit your way to Him trust in Him(Faith) and He will do it". that was the OT.. 

Don't you when you hear all the different views you seek pray and ask Him about it? He always uses His word to back up what He says. 

Why say all this.. thank the post above. The word bable Babble. Didn't haha trigger me..ooh watch out! No it was just it hurt.. not me but the sweet sweet holy Spirit. I always try to say sweet holy Spirit. So easy to offend Him and grieve Him. Do you know Him? Granted not easy since He never speaks of Himself only Christ and the Father but .. know when He moves when.. you did something. To hurt another believer.. grives Him...do we care? What is babble to you... means the world to others. So if you never asked luke 11 13 you are saved just not filled with the holy Spirit. Tasted not fully taken. Don't believe me.. ask Him pray.. what ya wanna bet "I don't have to I know". 

He changed my world in one moment. A power like Christ said.. a love I didn't have the day before ..for Christ God and the holy Spirit which I knew nothing of. Wanted to read more of the bible.. never ever get enough of Him... this desire has never went away.. how it grows and grows.. have you received the holy Spirit since you believed. Be like asking have you been baptized since you believed...oh sure that one we know

• Followers:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  411
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

On 5/27/2023 at 3:14 AM, SACREDWARRIOR said:

but HE did speak to many different language groups in their own language....

So are there examples in the NT when Jesus spoke in different languages?

14 minutes ago, BibleStudent100 said:

So are there examples in the NT when Jesus spoke in different languages?

Mark 15:34 "And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  411
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

2 minutes ago, PATrobas said:

Mark 15:34 "And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"

Are not those words in Hebrew, the language Jesus spoke?  Yes, I know that some linguists say Jesus spoke a variant of Hebrew, but are there any verses indicating that he ever spoke/understood, say Latin or Greek, languages commonly used in Israel in the first century?  Or was his pre-human existence knowledge such that he knew all human languages?  

Granted, there may be some speculation in these questions, but I would be interested in some thoughts from the Worthy students. 

Thanks

8 minutes ago, BibleStudent100 said:

Are not those words in Hebrew, the language Jesus spoke?  Yes, I know that some linguists say Jesus spoke a variant of Hebrew, but are there any verses indicating that he ever spoke/understood, say Latin or Greek, languages commonly used in Israel in the first century?  Or was his pre-human existence knowledge such that he knew all human languages?  

Granted, there may be some speculation in these questions, but I would be interested in some thoughts from the Worthy students. 

Thanks

My understanding is that He usually spoke Aramaic, which are these words, Aramaic. He of course spoke and understood Hebrew. But as Koine Greek was the common language throughout the world, He probably spoke Greek. It is my opinion that He did not use His "pre-human" (i.e. the Word) knowledge for anything, but relied on His Father and the Holy Spirit to live by faith for everything. Luke 2:52  "And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man."  Heb 5:8  "Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;"  John 5:19  "Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise. John 5:30  "I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me."

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Also, Jesus did not travel very far away from his home country, 

the scriptures do expound upon the fact that he was only sent to the lost sheep of Israel and not focused on communication and ministry on foreigners and gentiles who spoke other languages   -   although when he encountered them in his location he did teach and minister to them. 

Perhaps, maybe when he spoke to the  Italian Centurion  or  the  Canaanite woman he did speak in tongues but the scriptures do not tell.

Mat 10:5     These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying,   Go not into the way of the Gentiles,  and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:   :6     But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 

Mat 15:24  But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

was it not later on toward the ending of his ministry he commanded that his Apostles go unto all nations and to teach, ?

this would make sense for the Spirit  Of  The  Holy  that  was  poured  upon  his  followers  to  receive  the  gift they needed to speak in unknown tongues as the Spirit Of The Son was sent into their hearts.

Edited by hand of blessing
  • Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,125
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  97

13 minutes ago, hand of blessing said:

Also, Jesus did not travel very far away from his home country, 

the scriptures do expound upon the fact that he was only sent to the lost sheep of Israel and not focused on communication and ministry on foreigners and gentiles who spoke other languages   -   although when he encountered them in his location he did teach and minister to them. 

Perhaps, maybe when he spoke to the  Italian Centurion  or  the  Canaanite woman he did speak in tongues but the scriptures do not tell.

Mat 10:5     These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying,   Go not into the way of the Gentiles,  and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:   :6     But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 

Mat 15:24  But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

was it not later on toward the ending of his ministry he commanded that his Apostles go unto all nations and to teach, ?

this would make sense for the Spirit  Of  The  Holy  that  was  poured  upon  his  followers  to  receive  the  gift they needed to speak in unknown tongues as the Spirit Of The Son was sent into their hearts.

Excellent observations, my friend. He did indeed speak with Gentiles on occasion as the Gospels testify, so we can safely assume it was via a language that His disciples (in the case of the Canaanite woman) and Gentiles such as her would understand. 

Greek is one possibility, but Aramaic is a very strong possibility due to the widespread use of that language in ancient Palestine. Hebrews and Canaanites alike spoke Aramaic. From the historical perspective, relatively few Hebrews understood the Hebrew language during the late Second Temple era. This is not to say that our Savior couldn't, of course!

Excellent post. :)

• Thumbs Up 1