• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.70
  • Days Won:  1

11 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Ha, I Guess as I think about it the America's Indians should have stuck to their spears and said stay in Europe and fix things right there for yourself do not come here and change our land and our ways to suit your need.

Well, the Indians did have a kind of lousy immigration policy.

Maybe we could learn something from that.

• Haha 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  248
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  4,312
  • Content Per Day:  1.55
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  10/04/1980

i never understood why the usa forces other people to speak english or leave their customs behind

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,267
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

1 hour ago, Ghostdog said:

i never understood why the usa forces other people to speak english or leave their customs behind

I reckon you've never been to Tejas, mi amigo......wdc.jpg.2f116c4ce9828e70555ce53ec9d492f6.jpg

• Haha 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,341
  • Content Per Day:  2.76
  • Days Won:  0

28 minutes ago, Sower said:

I reckon you've never been to Tejas, mi amigo......wdc.jpg.2f116c4ce9828e70555ce53ec9d492f6.jpg

or Miami, Fl many do not speak English there. order a chocolate shake be happy with papilla shake 

• Haha 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,262
  • Content Per Day:  7.09
  • Days Won:  99

2 hours ago, Ghostdog said:

I second what @Sower wrote. Come on down to New Mexico. We're next door to Texas!

Bueno, my friend. Think my enjoyment of hot chile peppers is odd or out of place? It's not odd or out of place in New Mexico. Hot chiles are a tradition and fixture of New Mexican cuisine. Down here, the question is...

Green or red? :cool:

A little bit of history is in order: indigenous people grew their own variety of chile peppers a long time before Spain colonized the territory that is now the state of New Mexico. Growing chiles spread from Mesoamerica (Central and South America), and chiles were important to trade among indigenous people. That tradition continues today. Modern Pueblos (native reservations) grow their own unique variety of chiles. I prefer Pueblo chiles to Hatch chiles, but that's because of the greater variety which Pueblo chiles offer. :) 

I spent time living in the old Spanish Land Grants in this state. What are the Land Grants? Land given to Spanish settlers during the numerous Spanish expeditions in the Americas. I knew families whose history preceded New Mexico becoming a state in January of 1912. An elder of one of those families took me to visit a cemetery in one of the Land Grant villages. He showed me the headstone of one of his ancestors who died in 1824. 

red and green chiles.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,026
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,353
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

6 hours ago, Ghostdog said:

5 hours ago, Sower said:

4 hours ago, NConly said:

or Miami, Fl many do not speak English there. order a chocolate shake be happy with papilla shake 

Or Los Angeles!   Actually I enjoy the culture.   Feels like a vacation in old Mexico or Spain at times.   Fiestas, the food, ethnic folk dancing, Aztec dancing complete with feather headdresses and loin cloths!

And just wait for the Mexican Independence Day celebrations!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.70

9 hours ago, Ghostdog said:

Where does that idea come from?

It's certainly a mistaken one.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,271
  • Content Per Day:  4.89
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

They did it to integrate immigrants into America. Those hoping to become legal American citizens had to pass a citizenship test that was administered in English only. Then the Government started offering it in Spanish. Then other languages. Once they did that, you-name-it-American labels came to be popular. Now, with 18 million illegals living here, they speak their native tongues and only their children learn to speak English as a second language.

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,671
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 6/30/2023 at 10:37 AM, FJK said:

Well, the Indians did have a kind of lousy immigration policy.

Maybe we could learn something from that.

Yep they shared with and showed the Plymouth pilgrims how to plant and survive. Even had a feast with the surviving pilgrims after harvest time. There were more native Americans (Indian) at that feast than there were Pilgrims.

As to languages and standards for use of language:

There is need to have an accepted language and definition for words in that language. Maritime history of that need goes back at least as far as the New Amsterdam ( New York City) convention where American English became the standard for maritime (Shipping of goods)  contracts in order to help resolve misunderstandings occurring in shipping insurance contracts.

Today; At California their State law requires that any contract  be written in the language of the verbal presentation made that ends up in a contract. If a presentation is made in Greek the contract need be written in Greek as example. What an amusing nightmare that was  for me back when  we made presentations in multiple languages Such as Korean, Spanish, English, etc. The understanding  in Korean for a burial plot is a word meaning Mountain. That presented a problem as we were selling burial plots on a hill or mountain. We had to have attorneys figure  out how to define that mountain did not mean they had bought the whole cemetery. 

At the end of things we had as management to sign contracts we  couldn't read for they were in Spanish , Korean English, etc. 

So no one standard language for definitions of an agreement makes for a very interesting set of problems. And it sure raises the cost of doing business which has to be passed on to the end user the customers/clients. Doesn't really matter the history  of Texas New Mexico Massachusetts and so on, what matters is understanding each other today- that does require some standard otherwise courts set up to resolve issues also become deeply dependent upon language interpreters.

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  540
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,953
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  233
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

10 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Yep they shared with and showed the Plymouth pilgrims how to plant and survive. Even had a feast with the surviving pilgrims after harvest time. There were more native Americans (Indian) at that feast than there were Pilgrims.

And what happened to the native Americans ???? so that is a good argument AGAINST  allowing mass immigration   :24:  

• Thumbs Up 2