IGNORED

"You are the light of the world" - What does this mean?

Vine Abider

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  203
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,476
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

14 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

At the time and place Yeshua was speaking his audience knew of two eminent rabbi's above all others that had greatly influenced them  as their light. Plus from where the audience was  physically at the moment Yeshua was speaking to them they  could physically see Safed one city on a hill that could not be hidden. He may have simply been pointing out Safed.

Perhaps Yeshua was making reference to the obvious before them at the time as He encouraged disciples to be light themselves.

Perhaps.  Often in Jesus' speaking there are two possible interpretations - the obvious physical (by sight) one and the spiritual (by faith) one.   Since He spoke it right along with "You are the light of the world" I think the deeper meaning was the spiritual (i.e., the New Jerusalem).

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

On 9/2/2023 at 2:14 PM, Vine Abider said:

Notice the common words & thoughts in these four verses - light (& lamp, illumination) city and glory. What do these verses speak to you?

“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden."  Matthew 5:14

"And the city (New Jerusalem) has no need of the sun or of the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God has illuminated it, and its lamp is the Lamb." Revelation 21:23

"I have given them the glory that you gave me"  John 17:22

"Christ in you the hope of glory."  Col 1:27

Jesus compared believers to the light because they are the only ones that can show the world the way of salvation and demonstrate what God can do in a transformed life. It was prophesied in Isa 42:6 that He would be a light for the gentiles.

Oh and from what I read if you fall no matter how just get up dust off keep going. You are His He is with you forever will never forsake you.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,671
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

1 hour ago, Vine Abider said:

I think the deeper meaning was the spiritual (i.e., the New Jerusalem).

Hi, But was a descending of a New Jerusalem and a New Heaven and a New Earth a part of his audience's awareness at that time? Don't think it was.

The spiritual reference I think was the encouragement to be bold in faith as it cannot be hidden.

But from a rear view mirror today if one wants it to be New Jerusalem, what's the harm?

19 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Hi, But was a descending of a New Jerusalem and a New Heaven and a New Earth a part of his audience's awareness at that time? Don't think it was.

I think there were many things Jesus spoke of they had no idea about!  (e.g., "He that eats Me shall live because of Me.")

• Topic Count:  349
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,505
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

@Marilyn C @Dennis1209 @Neighbor @AnOrangeCat Light and glory are connected I think. God is light.  I've heard it said that glory is just God expressed. We were created in His image and likeness and in Christ we have been given the glory of God.

That first verse is really fascinating: "You are the light of the world. A city placed on a hill cannot be hidden."  In this verse, redeemed man (the light of the world), and the city are connected.  To me, when Jesus said "a city" it is a clear reference to the New Jerusalem.

And the city is made up of God's people*, who have been given His glory.  God dwells with man - is He outside His people or in them?

* 12 gates/tribes of Israel (Rev 21:12), 12 foundations/apostles (Rev 21:14)

To be sure, these are Interesting things to ponder . . .

My interpretation and thought process is a bit different. I believe planet Earth is the center of the universe. Israel, in general, is the center of the world, and in particular, Jerusalem is the exact spot.

Jerusalem is also known as the city on seven hills, and the Temple(s) was built upon one of the hills. Jerusalem - Wikipedia

The new Jerusalem is a Temple and a city. I have every reason to believe it will be where all previous temples stood, and the everlasting land grant made to Israel. The NJ will be our eternal dwelling and home.

John 14:2 (KJV) In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. Revelation 3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the Temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name. [mansions = better translated rooms, emphasis mine]

Revelation 21:16 (KJV) And the city lieth foursquare, and the length is as large as the breadth: and he measured the city with the reed, twelve thousand furlongs. The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal.

·         Twelve thousand furlongs ~ 1,500 miles; 2,640,000 yards; 75.4 days journey.

Depending on which furlong measurement is used, the NJ will be a cube roughly 1,500L x 1,500W x 1,500D miles in dimension. Will the new Jerusalem need to sit on a hill at 1,500 miles tall?

Matthew 5:14 (KJV) Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

Above, Jesus is teaching his disciples what is to come and what they can expect. I think Jesus is referencing and pointing to what is physically there during His teaching as he teaches and prepares His disciples.

It is inconceivable to contemplate if the new Jerusalem will be in geocentric orbit or if the laws of physics with the weight and mass of the NJ will apply if physically touching the earth. Will those with rooms near the penthouse suffer altitude sickness with no oxygen? LOL.

For a D- student in math, I would say this is well above my pay grade, even to deliberate. 😊

Trying to figure out the unknowable, I once did a calculation of how big these mansions (rooms) might be. It followed the ‘Drake Equation’ with mostly unknowns. Calculating the volume of the NJ, the estimated 108 billion people that ever lived, the best estimate of those going to heaven (10%), and so forth. Long story short, I came out with a room the size of a large master bedroom.

Yep, I know, some people have just too much time on their hands. 😊

1 minute ago, Dennis1209 said:

My interpretation and thought process is a bit different. I believe planet Earth is the center of the universe. Israel, in general, is the center of the world, and in particular, Jerusalem is the exact spot.

Jerusalem is also known as the city on seven hills, and the Temple(s) was built upon one of the hills. Jerusalem - Wikipedia

The new Jerusalem is a Temple and a city. I have every reason to believe it will be where all previous temples stood, and the everlasting land grant made to Israel. The NJ will be our eternal dwelling and home.

John 14:2 (KJV) In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. Revelation 3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the Temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name. [mansions = better translated rooms, emphasis mine]

Revelation 21:16 (KJV) And the city lieth foursquare, and the length is as large as the breadth: and he measured the city with the reed, twelve thousand furlongs. The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal.

·         Twelve thousand furlongs ~ 1,500 miles; 2,640,000 yards; 75.4 days journey.

Depending on which furlong measurement is used, the NJ will be a cube roughly 1,500L x 1,500W x 1,500D miles in dimension. Will the new Jerusalem need to sit on a hill at 1,500 miles tall?

Matthew 5:14 (KJV) Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

Above, Jesus is teaching his disciples what is to come and what they can expect. I think Jesus is referencing and pointing to what is physically there during His teaching as he teaches and prepares His disciples.

It is inconceivable to contemplate if the new Jerusalem will be in geocentric orbit or if the laws of physics with the weight and mass of the NJ will apply if physically touching the earth. Will those with rooms near the penthouse suffer altitude sickness with no oxygen? LOL.

For a D- student in math, I would say this is well above my pay grade, even to deliberate. 😊

Trying to figure out the unknowable, I once did a calculation of how big these mansions (rooms) might be. It followed the ‘Drake Equation’ with mostly unknowns. Calculating the volume of the NJ, the estimated 108 billion people that ever lived, the best estimate of those going to heaven (10%), and so forth. Long story short, I came out with a room the size of a large master bedroom.

Yep, I know, some people have just too much time on their hands. 😊

That's a good run-down of the possible physical characteristics of the NJ!  Yes, all there are all kinds of suppositions regarding how it could exist, given the (current & known) laws of physics!

But there's the other side of it too, the spiritual. If we're looking at Ephesians, for instance, we see that man is called to something high and mysterious - the dwelling place of God.  As Paul exclaims in Ephesians 1:18, "That you may knw what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints!"

(And the word translated as "mansions" in  John 14:2 is more accurately rendered as "abodes" or "dwelling places.")

Some verses then to consider:

"in My Father’s house are many dwelling places"  John 14:2

"I go and prepare a place for you"  John 14:3

"I will build my church" Matt 16:18

"You also are being built together for a dwelling of God in Spirit." Eph 2:22

"And I saw the heavenly city new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven prepared as a bride for her Husband."  Rev 21:2

The church is spoken of in the NT as a bride, a body and a building - a real mystery, but I think God is speaking to us and trying to convey this mysterious thought in terms we know and that are very dear to our heart.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.33
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  6.96
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

On 9/2/2023 at 1:14 PM, Vine Abider said:

Notice the common words & thoughts in these four verses - light (& lamp, illumination) city and glory. What do these verses speak to you?

“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden."  Matthew 5:14

"And the city (New Jerusalem) has no need of the sun or of the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God has illuminated it, and its lamp is the Lamb." Revelation 21:23

"I have given them the glory that you gave me"  John 17:22

"Christ in you the hope of glory."  Col 1:27

Ephesians 4:25 Therefore, putting away lying, 

Let each one of you speak truth with his neighbor,

for we are members of one another.

• Huh?  I don't get it. 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. M said:

Ephesians 4:25 Therefore, putting away lying, 

Let each one of you speak truth with his neighbor,

for we are members of one another.

Amen - tell us more how this relates to the topic please.

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,225
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

4 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

@Marilyn C @Dennis1209 @Neighbor @AnOrangeCat Light and glory are connected I think. God is light.  I've heard it said that glory is just God expressed. We were created in His image and likeness and in Christ we have been given the glory of God.

That first verse is really fascinating: "You are the light of the world. A city placed on a hill cannot be hidden."  In this verse, redeemed man (the light of the world), and the city are connected.  To me, when Jesus said "a city" it is a clear reference to the New Jerusalem.

And the city is made up of God's people*, who have been given His glory.  God dwells with man - is He outside His people or in them?

* 12 gates/tribes of Israel (Rev 21:12), 12 foundations/apostles (Rev 21:14)

To be sure, these are Interesting things to ponder . . .

Hi VA,

Matt. 5: 14  "You are the light of the world. A city placed on a hill cannot be hidden."

This needs to be read in context not spiritualized. Jesus is talking to the people of Israel. Remember that is who He came to. Jerusalem on earth was the light for God gave them God`s Laws and His ways of coming to Him that they were to teach the nations. That is why they will teach the nation in the millennium. (Micah 4: 1 - 4)

Yes, there is a connection between earthly Jerusalem and the heavenly Jerusalem for it is where the Lord`s rulership will rule over the nations (earthly Jerusalem) and the universe, (heavenly Jerusalem). It was known by the OT saints and ONLY promised to them. (Heb. 11: 16) 

It was never promised to the Body of Christ. There are no scriptures to say we go to the New Jerusalem.

God has purposes for the Body of Christ, for Israel and for the nations. 

• Topic Count:  349
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,505
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

That's a good run-down of the possible physical characteristics of the NJ!  Yes, all there are all kinds of suppositions regarding how it could exist, given the (current & known) laws of physics!

But there's the other side of it too, the spiritual. If we're looking at Ephesians, for instance, we see that man is called to something high and mysterious - the dwelling place of God.  As Paul exclaims in Ephesians 1:18, "That you may knw what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints!"

(And the word translated as "mansions" in  John 14:2 is more accurately rendered as "abodes" or "dwelling places.")

Some verses then to consider:

"in My Father’s house are many dwelling places"  John 14:2

"I go and prepare a place for you"  John 14:3

"I will build my church" Matt 16:18

"You also are being built together for a dwelling of God in Spirit." Eph 2:22

"And I saw the heavenly city new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven prepared as a bride for her Husband."  Rev 21:2

The church is spoken of in the NT as a bride, a body and a building - a real mystery, but I think God is speaking to us and trying to convey this mysterious thought in terms we know and that are very dear to our heart.

I do not pretend to understand it all, especially our glorified bodies. As I mentioned, Earth will be our eternal home, just as the first man was fashioned out of it. The new Jerusalem will be our abode, dwelling place. There are so many unanswered questions (a mystery) until that day arrives.

·         We will eat, feast, and enjoy it. Is eating necessary to maintain our glorified bodies and immortality (i.e., the Tree of Life)?

·         Will we have blood and need oxygen? Nothing is mentioned about the first couple having blood, only flesh and bone. Not until after sinning and the curse is blood mentioned with Able’s blood spilled (Gen. 4:10).

·         We will have bodies like Jesus; He passed effortlessly through matter. Our hand does not pass through a podium if we pound on it because of atom electrical charge opposition (per secular science).

·         Angels are spiritual beings; manna is the food angels eat. It is hypothesized they must grow and prepare their manna. God provided the manna during Israel’s 40-year wondering, but it had to be prepped and baked. Does the heavenly host require subsistence?

·         Adam was created in the image of God. Put in charge to represent God to subdue and do His will in His absence on Earth. Was Adam confined to Earth? Will we be capable or allowed to explore the new creation?

·         Revelation 10:4 (KJV) And when the seven thunders had uttered their voices, I was about to write: and I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Seal up those things which the seven thunders uttered, and write them not.

·         What did Paul see and hear in heaven he dare not speak about?

I could list many more things I sometimes ponder over, but I sense many eyelids getting heavy. 😊

• Loved it! 1