• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  979
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  13,945
  • Content Per Day:  5.08
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

3 hours ago, AFlameOfFire said:

True, there is the judgment seat/bema (G968) of Christ in Romans 15:10 & 2 Cr 5:10 for example, but also Caesar's judgment seat/bema (G968) in Acts 25:10. There is Pilate's Judgment seat/bema  (G968) in John 19:13 , and even Herod's throne/bema (G968) in Acts 12:21

I never understood why people emphasize "bema" for judgment seat as if it were something unfamilar to what can be found in other places in the scripture, common to earthly authorities

Hi, Perhaps there is helpful information in that regard within the presentation found at https://bible.org/article/doctrine-rewards-judgment-seat-bema-christ

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  684
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  0

5 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Hi, Perhaps there is helpful information in that regard within the presentation found at https://bible.org/article/doctrine-rewards-judgment-seat-bema-christ

Very good article!  Thanks for sharing.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

DM Panton's book - The Judgement Seat of Christ is an extremely clear little book on the subject. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  212
  • Content Count:  3,565
  • Content Per Day:  6.00
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

7 hours ago, Neighbor said:

And I liked this (below quote) from there - it is how I think Paul is looking at this, as he references the games as an analogy by saying things like how he "runs the race" and "that I might be disqualified" and also uses boxing terms.

This word was taken from Isthmian games where the contestants would compete for the prize under the careful scrutiny of judges who would make sure that every rule of the contest was obeyed (cf. 2 Tim. 2:5). The victor of a given event who participated according to the rules was led by the judge to the platform called the Bema. There the laurel wreath was placed on his head as a symbol of victory (cf. 1 Cor. 9:24-25).

In all of these passages, “Paul was picturing the believer as a competitor in a spiritual contest. As the victorious Grecian athlete appeared before the Bema to receive his perishable award, so the Christian will appear before Christ’s Bema to receive his imperishable award. The judge at the Bema bestowed rewards to the victors. He did not whip the losers.2 We might add, neither did he sentence them to hard labor.

In other words, it is a reward seat and portrays a time of rewards or loss of rewards following examination, but it is not a time of punishment where believers are judged for their sins. Such would be inconsistent with the finished work of Christ on the Cross because He totally paid the penalty for our sins. Chafer and Walvoord have an excellent word on this view:

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  684
  • Content Per Day:  0.44

35 minutes ago, Vine Abider said:

And I liked this (below quote) from there - it is how I think Paul is looking at this, as he references the games as an analogy by saying things like, "he how runs the race" and "that I might be disqualified" and also uses boxing terms.

This word was taken from Isthmian games where the contestants would compete for the prize under the careful scrutiny of judges who would make sure that every rule of the contest was obeyed (cf. 2 Tim. 2:5). The victor of a given event who participated according to the rules was led by the judge to the platform called the Bema. There the laurel wreath was placed on his head as a symbol of victory (cf. 1 Cor. 9:24-25).

In all of these passages, “Paul was picturing the believer as a competitor in a spiritual contest. As the victorious Grecian athlete appeared before the Bema to receive his perishable award, so the Christian will appear before Christ’s Bema to receive his imperishable award. The judge at the Bema bestowed rewards to the victors. He did not whip the losers.2 We might add, neither did he sentence them to hard labor.

In other words, it is a reward seat and portrays a time of rewards or loss of rewards following examination, but it is not a time of punishment where believers are judged for their sins. Such would be inconsistent with the finished work of Christ on the Cross because He totally paid the penalty for our sins. Chafer and Walvoord have an excellent word on this view:

So . . . I agree with what you have said above, and also with others on this subject. The Bema seat is not for us to be judged for sins that we have done before we were saved, or, since we have been saved. It is a place of rewards given and rewards withheld based on Jesus' righteous judgements of our lives.

HOWEVER: For us to think that the Bema seat of Christ will be just a "no big deal" event IS A Big Mistake on our part. To think that we will skip through it with a casual attitude is just plain crazy in my opinion. For us to say: "Oh well, rewards would have been nice, but, I can get along without them . . . I am saved and that is all I care about" is NOT what will be happening at the Bema Seat.

Imagine appearing before Jesus for the sole purpose of having our entire lives after we were born again examined and scrutinized, and seeing our Lord's approval, or disappointment on His face . . . .  (Selah) That should give us an healthy dose of the fear of God regarding how we will stand approved, or unapproved for how we have lived our lives.  Me personally . . . I am glad that I made it to the Judgement Seat of Christ, but, I also know that I will tremble before His eyes of scrutiny peering through my life's works, sorting it all out etc.

So . . . since it is Jesus' approval that I am seeking . . . I should live my life for Him, doing what He says I should do . . . resisting sin and keeping myself clean . . . looking for His soon coming as it it were tomorrow, but also doing good works that he wants done like His coming won't happen for another one hundred years but being a faithful steward of what He has given me.

My opinion only . . . 

Grace and Peace to all here . . . . Ray. . . . 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Topic Count:  979
  • Content Count:  13,945
  • Content Per Day:  5.08
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

As I vaguely recall it was possible to "play" by all the rules, win a race, but do so in  a manner not meriting a garland  to be given to the winner of the race for the privilege of placing it at the feet of the ruler.

Be a real eternal shame to be before Jesus and find I do have not run well enough to even be noted as having won, and therefore no receiving garland to place at my Lord's feet in honor of Him.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest AFlameOfFire
8 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Thanks for the link, I might have missed it but did that article adress 1 Tim 5:24? I could have missed it.

1 Tim 5:24 Some men's sins are open beforehand, going before to judgment; and some men they follow after.

The article does touch on of striving for masteries and the crown  in 2 Ti 2:3 but I do think it could have went a little further for clarification

For example, enduring hardness and temptation is spoken of as it relates to striving to be crowned 

2 Ti 2:3 Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.

2 Ti 2:4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully

2 Ti 2:5 And if a man also strive for masteries, yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully.

Shows a soldier of Christ is to endure hardness (2 Ti 2:3) as it pertains to being crowned, but also temptation as it pertains to the crown of life itself (in James 1:12)

James 1:12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him. (Luke 8:13)

James says, for the man that endureth temptation, for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life" (James 1:2) as well as being tried in prison as Jesus says (in Rev 2:10) and  being faithful unto death there, and "I will give thee a crown of life".

So being tried in this sense as it pertains to the incorruptible crown

Rev 2:10 Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.

Those little details can be helpful

The article acknowledges  1Cr 9:24-25

1 Cr 9:24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.

1 Cr 9:25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown
but we an incorruptible.

In the earlier section of the article it stop before 1 Cr 9:26-27 which reads

1 Cr 9:26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: (2 Ti 4:7-8)

1 Cr 9:27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others
I myself should be a castaway.

Paul says, " So run, that ye may obtain", Jesus also speaks of being accounted worthy "to obtain that world" and the resurrection from the dead

Luke 20:35 But they which shall be accounted worthy "to obtain that world", "and the resurrection from the dead neither marry, nor are given in marriage

The article at the end does end up touching on 1 Cr 9:27 as a sort of after thought rather than carrying it all the way through. 

Where, when Paul (according to striving for mastery) and in his context of gaining the world to Christ ( in 1 Cr 9:18. to the weak, to gain the weak, to Jews, to gain the Jews, etc etcc)

He says there this

1 Cr 9:27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, 
I myself should be a castaway

In the contex of "gaining the world" by the preaching of the gospel Paul appears to be springboarding this off of what Jesus said, since he said,

Luke 9:25 For what is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast away?

Or as Paul, bringing himself into subjection so when he has preached to others, (or gaining the world) he himself should be a castaway. (or in otherwords, as Jesus might say, "what is a man/ or Paul advantaged"? in gaining the whole world while losing himself or being a cast away?

Because that is Paul's  context of "gaining the weak, gaining, the Jews, gaining those under the laww, gaining those without the law" etc or "gaining the world" as Jesus might speak of it.

And so Paul bringing himself into subjection (would be considered striving lawfully) lest by any means after he has preached to others (gaining the whole world) he has lost himself or is a cast away (As Jesus shows similarly).

Paul's writes so much to Timothy, that he would take heed unto himself and the doctrine that he preached saying,

1 Ti 4:16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself
and them that hear thee.

And in that case, as Paul lays it out to Timothy in much the same manner, that in his taking heed to both his self and his doctrine he would not only save himself (that  he would not be a cast away) but also them that heard him ( those he sought to gain).

Because again, 

Luke 9:25 For what is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast away?

And in the context of "gaining the world" Paul says

1 Cr 9:27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, 
I myself should be a castaway

And in the context of preaching to others, to gain them to Christ, e says to Timothy

1 Ti 4:16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself
and them that hear thee.

Little things like that if you know what I mean. When left out appear more simple than they are more often than not.

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,303
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

22 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

How do you see this event?

Another future event I/we need not worry about, now. I consider the present. Today, now.
If I can get that right, concentrate on what I already do know,
use the light God has blessed me with, what to do, and what not to do, then I will have run the race. 

Don't get me wrong, I do find future events interesting VA, encouraging yet worrisome.
Take no thought for the morrow. Consider the birds. They sing. Shouldn't we.

If we simply do as God's word gives instruction, we will have peace.
Am I missing something. I never considered the bema seat.
If I receive no blue ribbon,  that's ok. I do stuff because it felt good.

Helping others shouldn't be complicated. We should do those works on auto pilot,
having been transformed into the image of God. Never consider the why, but the spirit moving.
My works make it or they don't, the fire the will decide. cool... I accept that.
I run the race and press on toward the mark.
I'm OK if someone gets the gold. I just hope to hear that,

“Well done, good and faithful servant;

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,554
  • Content Per Day:  2.69
  • Days Won:  1

Ever consider how and why this imagery of the Bema Seat was used, other than inspiration?

There is evidence when Paul visited Corinth, the games and awards were in progress.

• Interesting! 1

Guest AFlameOfFire
10 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

Ever consider how and why this imagery of the Bema Seat was used, other than inspiration?

There is evidence when Paul visited Corinth, the games and awards were in progress.

Glad someone brought this up. I wouldnt have used the word imaginary but I can probably catch what you mean if you were to speak a little more on where you might be coming from here. Because as I was posting, I was thinking the same in the sense of the games and rewards being in progress since he is a "rewarder" in the present of them who seek him also. And being chastised (for us) is "us" being judged that we would not be condemned with the world etc. There are so many verses that move along those exact lines too.

Edited by AFlameOfFire