• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/24/1971

"Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." Matthew 7:22-23

This verse has inspired me to post about this topic today. Some people read the above verse and they wonder about the meaning of it. Others read it and have absolutley no confusion about its meaning and signifigance.

Many things that we do, we claim to do it for God when in reality we are actually doing it for ourselves. Some of us do this without even realizing what we are doing, others of us know exactly what we are doing.

We pray in the open where we are seen by others with long winded prayers that are more from the mind than the heart. We give to charities with the expectation that God should be our own personal ATM machine and reward us for such financial and material sacrifices. We do ministry work expecting to somehow gain additional favor with God that Christ has not already won us through His sacrifice on the cross.

Don't get me wrong, I have seen people pray for lengthy times in the open and those prayers truly be from the heart. I have seen people give from their hearts true financial/material sacrifices. One woman in our city pledged her entire $10,000 a year salary to one of the local Christian radio stations in faith that God had already paved the way for her to be able to do this. She was a single mom with 3 or 4 kids. I know many people who do ministry work for the right reason. These people will be rewarded....not because of what they did....but why they did it.

When Katrina hit the gulf coast, there were several Red Cross shelters set up in our town for refugees. There were also just over 5,000 volunteers who showed up for all of the Red Cross training seminars. Everyone was amazed at the turn out of people seemingly so willing to help those in need. As I sat in the crowd, I found myself silently asking myself the question: how many of these people are here for a "feel good". After all, by helping others out, we can pat ourselves on the back and say "see Lord, I'm a good person".

If this is what drives the hearts of the men and women who volunteer to help, then they are in for a sad awakening when they cross over into the next life. They are deceived. God does not need our help. He is all powerful, the Creator of all things in this world. The only thing that gives us any signifigance whatsoever in this creation of His is His love for us, not what we do. Those material and financial sacrifices people make are not their own. Those things were given to them by their Creator. The time they spend doing ministry work is not their own. It was given to them by the Creator.

Even the very breathe used to ask God "where is my reward" is not our own....it is given to us by our Creator. This life is temporary...temporal...finite. Anything that you go through now is only a test. When iron is purified by a black smith, it is held up to the fire and all impurities are cast off into the fire. We are the iron...be certain that your heart does not betray you. Exalt your God and His will and not your self. Allow yourself to have a true relationship with Christ...allow His Holy Spirit to guide you away from the snares of the devil.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  970
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

This is so true.

Just the other day I had a very interesting conversation with one of my co workers. This co worker acknowlegdes that there is a God, but that is where he stops. He found it really interesting that I spend one day a week "volunteering" my services at my church. He was amazed that my speech was exempt of fowl language. He was appreciative that I too was helping to draft up a schedule that would allow the weekends to alternate. He wanted weekends for partying, I just wanted fairness for those of us who attend church to be able to attend every other week. There are six of us who work in a shop that must remain manned 24/7 including all holidays. This one co worker, though I cannot say was speechless, was left in a state of awe, that I would give 'so much' of my time to others, for others and not for myself. Least to say I have been given a new title, "Religious Nut', to join the other three religious nuts in the shop.

Let me do say that I once, for a very long time, was in his shoes. I would only do anything if it benefitted me. That was was less than 10 years ago, from the time that I gave everything back to God, and look at how everything has turned around. All those 'I got to have it now' treasures are gone. My co worker is looking at making some 'sacrifices' getting rid of the cell phones, selling his truck he can longer afford, moving into a smaller house, and ridding of other expenses, so he can improve his lifestyle. He has good dreams, and I wish him well.

I pray that as I walk through this life that what I say and do will glorify God.

Berribear

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  78
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Bear: The world needs more "nuts" like you. And it is blessedly amazing what our Good Lord can do with a few little "nuts". Blessings, Goldpearl :noidea:

Guest solafide55

I tend to agree vrs. I see way too many Christians today way to concerned with how they look to the outside world. They will pray for hours on end as if this is some sort of way to assert their status of holiness. It is not about what we do, but about what God has done for us. Let us pray that we never fall into the trap of looking at our outer works as signs of our holiness, but look to Christ and his perfect sacrifice.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  83

That verse is exactly why Jesus and Paul taught different doctrines.

Edited by JesusismyLord

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  923
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  10/03/1974

To the above poster,

I believe you just replied with a "knee jerk reaction", I hope not.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  5

That verse is exactly why Jesus and Paul taught different doctrines.

Really? Which one do you believe was correct?

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  83

well since jesus was dead for 30 years after they wrote the NT and the oldest manusripts are from about 300 A.D. who really knows. Jesus didnt write any of the things in the NT, isnt it funny how if God came to earth in the flesh, why he would'nt leave anything behind at that time, but 30 years after dying( and thats a low figure, maybe 50 years) the writings start. You can claimit was all orally transmitted, but you can't prove it. 30 years after Jesus died before anything was written, just sounds problematic for me. Paul totally contradicts the gospels and what they teach that Jesus spoke about.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  5

well since jesus was dead for 30 years after they wrote the NT and the oldest manusripts are from about 300 A.D. who really knows. Jesus didnt write any of the things in the NT, isnt it funny how if God came to earth in the flesh, why he would'nt leave anything behind at that time, but 30 years after dying( and thats a low figure, maybe 50 years) the writings start. You can claimit was all orally transmitted, but you can't prove it. 30 years after Jesus died before anything was written, just sounds problematic for me. Paul totally contradicts the gospels and what they teach that Jesus spoke about.

Three questions come to mind -

1. Why your screen name?

2. How do you know Paul was wrong and not the gospels?

3. Got any examples of these "contradictions?"

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,802
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  06/01/1945

Three questions come to mind -

1. Why your screen name?

2. How do you know Paul was wrong and not the gospels?

3. Got any examples of these "contradictions?"

I agree with you Blindseeker, I think we have a wolf in sheep's clothing among us. I hope the moderators take note, better yet, George ought to cancel this guys subscription.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie