"We accept Christ - then get a bunch of rules to follow"

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,117
  • Content Per Day:  9.69
  • Days Won:  149

In just taking the statement at face value, I think it might possiblty reflect a man who realizes there is some requirement and responsibilities as a believer, but I don't see any of it as burdensome really. We should be willing to sacrifice for Him. So far as rules are concerned, there are only two. Love Him with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself. That's probably why you may want to move next to some extra nice neighbors.

Many new believers think it's a quick decision and off they go, but that decision involves giving the Lord all of us, that is if we want to be successful believers.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,414
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

12 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

In my Tuesday men's fellowship, a brother said this.  So is this what the Christian life is about?

A bit hard to see where he's coming from. Jesus pointed out that in upholding just two commandments we're operating in the spirit of the law. In Acts we see an acknowledgement that the Gentiles aren't under Jewish law, and they point at a pretty simple and short list of restrictions. I also feel like reducing Christianity to a set of rules is missing the point. Yes, there are some rules, but WHY we follow them (or should follow them) is deeply important as well. Without that there's some very important context missing.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  470
  • Content Per Day:  4.31
  • Days Won:  1

Where there is no law sin is not counted. Romans 4:15

...because the law brings about wrath; for where there is no law there is no transgression.

Is sin being committed today around the world?

Romans 7:14

For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin.

The law was not nailed to the cross, it was the penalty of sin that was eliminated by all who accept the free gift of eternal life. If the law had been nailed to the cross as many claim, sin would not exist to be held against mankind.

Rom. 5:10

For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life.

Rom 8:3-4

For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, 4in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.68

10 hours ago, NConly said:

Gal 2

16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

That's what the verse says, but what does it mean to YOU as a person, how do you apply it in your life on a daily basis and teach others to apply it to theirs?

When faced with a moral dilemma in you life, a critical one, do you turn to understanding the law as a source of guidance or just pass it off as irrelevant since the law no longer mens anything?

Edited by FJK

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,672
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

"We accept Christ - then get a bunch of rules to follow"

And praise the Holy Spirit for entering and  enabling those born again so that each may come to see the wisdom of and the need for learning and joyously adhering to those rules.

"The Lord has promised good to me,
His Word my hope secures;
He will my Shield and Portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess, within the veil,
A life of joy and peace." From Amazing Grace

• Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,341
  • Content Per Day:  2.76

1 hour ago, FJK said:

That's what the verse says, but what does it mean to YOU as a person, how do you apply it in your life on a daily basis and teach others to apply it to theirs?

When faced with a moral dilemma in you life, a critical one, do you turn to understanding the law as a source of guidance or just pass it off as irrelevant since the law no longer mens anything?

The old law was only given to Israel the other 90 to 98 % of the world had no law from God the father.

In Deu 18

15 The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken;

So I follow only Jesus no old law written on stone. In Jere 31

31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:

33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

If one looks at what Jesus spoke about the commandments they are pretty close to the same the key is to follow them because one has Faith in Jesus and what he spoke, Not what was written on stone and only given to Israel.

Matt 18

18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

I follow the above because Jesus spoke them Himself not because they were written on stone.

Matt 22

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

I follow the above because Jesus spoke them Himself not because they were written on stone.

Matt 28

18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Mark 10

18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

19 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.

Mark 12

29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:

30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

John 13

34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

John 15

10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

The above V10 is two different statements about two different set of commandments combined in one verse

Jesus knew there would be a divide between those who believed in him with Faith and ones that wanted to keep the old law.

He could have solved this problem in John 15:10 by just saying

"keep the old commandments as I have kept the old commandments"

But that is not what he said,

what Jesus spoke is the New Covenant

Edited by NConly
add

3 minutes ago, NConly said:

The old law was only given to Israel the other 90 to 98 % of the world had no law from God the father.

Only if you ignore the Noahide laws given to Noah after the flood which apply to all of his descendants (which is all men)..

From Chabad.org:

Do not profane G‑d’s Oneness in any way.
Acknowledge that there is a single G‑d who cares about what we are doing and desires that we take care of His world.

Do not curse your Creator.
No matter how angry you may be, do not take it out verbally against your Creator.

Do not murder.
The value of human life cannot be measured. To destroy a single human life is to destroy the entire world—because, for that person, the world has ceased to exist. It follows that by sustaining a single human life, you are sustaining an entire universe.

Do not eat a limb of a still-living animal.
Respect the life of all G‑d’s creatures. As intelligent beings, we have a duty not to cause undue pain to other creatures.

Do not steal.
Whatever benefits you receive in this world, make sure that none of them are at the unfair expense of someone else.

Harness and channel the human libido.
Incest, adultery, rape and homosexual relations are forbidden.
The family unit is the foundation of human society. Sexuality is the fountain of life and so nothing is more holy than the sexual act. So, too, when abused, nothing can be more debasing and destructive to the human being.

Establish courts of law and ensure justice in our world.
With every small act of justice, we are restoring harmony to our world, synchronizing it with a supernal order. That is why we must keep the laws established by our government for the country’s stability and harmony

• Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,341
  • Content Per Day:  2.76

10 minutes ago, FJK said:

Only if you ignore the Noahide laws given to Noah after the flood which apply to all of his descendants (which is all men)..

From Chabad.org:

Do not profane G‑d’s Oneness in any way.
Acknowledge that there is a single G‑d who cares about what we are doing and desires that we take care of His world.

Do not curse your Creator.
No matter how angry you may be, do not take it out verbally against your Creator.

Do not murder.
The value of human life cannot be measured. To destroy a single human life is to destroy the entire world—because, for that person, the world has ceased to exist. It follows that by sustaining a single human life, you are sustaining an entire universe.

Do not eat a limb of a still-living animal.
Respect the life of all G‑d’s creatures. As intelligent beings, we have a duty not to cause undue pain to other creatures.

Do not steal.
Whatever benefits you receive in this world, make sure that none of them are at the unfair expense of someone else.

Harness and channel the human libido.
Incest, adultery, rape and homosexual relations are forbidden.
The family unit is the foundation of human society. Sexuality is the fountain of life and so nothing is more holy than the sexual act. So, too, when abused, nothing can be more debasing and destructive to the human being.

Establish courts of law and ensure justice in our world.
With every small act of justice, we are restoring harmony to our world, synchronizing it with a supernal order. That is why we must keep the laws established by our government for the country’s stability and harmony

I do not agree with you, thanks

John 5

22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:

23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

1 Corin 15

23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.

24 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.

25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.

26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.

28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

19 minutes ago, NConly said:

I do not agree with you, thanks

Well, if you think there was no law for men other than Jews wouldn't that lead to there being no sin except among Jews?  And becoming Christian for non Jews would mean taking on sin where we wouldn't bear it otherwise?

What does Romans 2:14-15 mean to you and why does it mean that?

(I'm not hostile to your view, I'm trying to consider it in relation to mine and the reasons I have for for it.  It may just be a view from different vantage points that is involved with each of us seeing the same thing from a different place like the blind men and the elephant.)

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,153
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  05/25/1970

12 hours ago, Starise said:

So far as rules are concerned, there are only two. Love Him with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself. That's probably why you may want to move next to some extra nice neighbors.

As a student I lived with 3 other students in an apartment and we had an English neighbour who was very antisocial. He yelled at people on the street. He beat his wife up often I heard from the others, who then fled to Africa and then he started to beat up the dog. You could hear him crying when he was beating and chasing him in the house. I was a big animal lover. I hated that man for it. I don't think I even felt sorry for hating him. But what can you do? So only for the dog, absolutely not for him, I started to pray that he would get saved so he wouldn't beat his dog anymore. Later I left to another city for another study and a guy got my room. Year later we had a party there. I was also invited. That guy said he shared the Gospel with the neighbour and he got saved.

Edited by Renskedejonge
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1