Exegesis of Hebrews

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,467
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

What is the most difficult NT book for you to fully comprehend and rightly divide the Word of God?

If asked what the most challenging book to understand in the NT is, I would have to say Hebrews, not Revelation. There is a millennia-long controversy over the author of Hebrews. Based on salutations, style, polished grammar, oratory skills, presentation, etc., I am relatively confident the apostle to the Gentiles Paul did not pen Hebrews.

As the book title says, the author mainly speaks to the Hebrews (Jews). Much of Hebrews deals with Judaism vs. Christianity, the Law vs. Grace. I used to have deep concerns about the following verses and how they applied to me personally.

For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, (Hebrews 6:4) And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, (Hebrews 6:5) If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame. (Hebrews 6:6).

As the adage goes, “Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.”

Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian. (Acts 26:28)

In Hebrews 6:4-6 in context, who is the author speaking to, Jews, Gentiles, or both? How do we take these verses and the contrast between Judaism vs. Grace? What do you think?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

First of all we must remember that the book of Hebrews is written to the Hebrews to tell the Hebrews that the completeness of being fully Hebrew is to believe in the Hebrew Messiah Yeshua Jesus and live under the New Covenant he gave predictive prophecy about in Yirimyahu 31:30-33 / Jeremiah 31:31-34.  ← the book of Hebrews reads as a divine commentary on that passage in the Tanakh Old Testament.

Hebrews 6:4-6 must be tempered with 1 John 2:19, John 10:27-29, Jeremiah 32:40, 1 Corinthians 5:5 (all of which demonstrate the security of genuine salvation).

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,033
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  0

On 3/19/2024 at 7:50 PM, Dennis1209 said:

What is the most difficult NT book for you to fully comprehend and rightly divide the Word of God?

If asked what the most challenging book to understand in the NT is, I would have to say Hebrews, not Revelation. There is a millennia-long controversy over the author of Hebrews. Based on salutations, style, polished grammar, oratory skills, presentation, etc., I am relatively confident the apostle to the Gentiles Paul did not pen Hebrews.

As the book title says, the author mainly speaks to the Hebrews (Jews). Much of Hebrews deals with Judaism vs. Christianity, the Law vs. Grace. I used to have deep concerns about the following verses and how they applied to me personally.

For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, (Hebrews 6:4) And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, (Hebrews 6:5) If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame. (Hebrews 6:6).

Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian. (Acts 26:28)

In Hebrews 6:4-6 in context, who is the author speaking to, Jews, Gentiles, or both? How do we take these verses and the contrast between Judaism vs. Grace? What do you think?

There s a reason for hiding the author. Hebrews is about the Person of Christ. No distractions by other personalities.

The Book is written to the Hebrews. "Hebrews" means "River Crosser". It is a very clever title because while it addresses those who once crossed the Jordan, the second tier of revelation addresses those who have been Baptized (1st Cor.10:1-11). The reason for the Book is crucial. The Law of Moses promised rewards for adherence. To summarize them I would say that the rewards of Law-keeping are health, wealth, safety in the Good Land, safety in daily tasks, big harvests, many children and long life. In Hebrews Chapter 10 we learn that when these Hebrews embraced Christ they did it gladly. But then came persecution including the loss of worldly things (verses 32-34). The reaction is; "Under Law we were truly blessed. Now we are obedient to Christ and suffer and have our blessings taken away. LET US RETURN TO MOSES!"

The Book is written to reverse this thinking. The way the Holy Spirit does this is to show the superiority of Christ as opposed to Moses, angels, the Aaronic Preisthood and the sacrifices. There are five grievous warnings in the Book to make clear the consequences for turning back. You took Chapter 6. Let us examine it briefly.

Hebrews Chapter 6 starts in Chapter 5. The Hebrews are accused of not knowing basic doctrines. They are accused of no growth in the truths that make up everyday Christianity. Ephesians 4 outlines God's plan for maturing in THE Faith (what we believe). The Hebrews could not but be confused. They lived on a diet of spiritual milk. But the effect of being schooled in THE faith is RIGHTEOUSNESS for entering the Kingdom. The Law produced the following mentality;

1. On Sunday my neighbors goat wandered into my back yard. I added it to my flock of goats.
2. On Monday my conscience got to me and I not only returned the goat as per Law with four more, but I took a lamb to the priest for my sin (Ex.22).
3. On Wednesday, I made love to my wife who was menstruating.
4. On Thursday my conscience gets to me and I offer for my uncleanness.
.... and so on. There is always an offering to fall back on for my sins.

But those who have left Moses and hear Christ, if they sin, have NO offering to fall back on. Christ died ONCE for all. This is at once fabulous, but it provides no reprieve for a man who once accepted Christ and then rejects Him. There is no sacrifice. Your parting from Christ leaves you without a way. Of course, you can return to Christ and be accepted, but the author of Hebrews is dealing with a man who returns to Law. The word "impossible" in verse 4 describes the sacrifice of Christ. It is NOT POSSIBLE that He should die again like the sacrifices I outlined above.

What are the consequences? The convert to Christianity lives for the REWARD of the "AGE TO COME". He has only "tasted" the blessings. The age to come is when his fruit is shown. God wants fruit and in return gives REWARD. But if the once enlightened Christian returns to Moses he produces "thorns". During the Millennial Kingdom he will be burned. But notice the burning is not final. He is only NIGH to a curse! 1st Corinthians 3 confirms the burning. So does Revelation 2 (written to a Church about sufferings).

10 Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life. 11 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death (Re 2:10–11).

Hebrews is not about salvation. It is addressed to those already saved. It is all about abiding by God's New Testament economy which tell us that we will suffer for the gospel and receive our reward when Jesus comes. The verses above IMPLY being "hurt" of the Second Death if you do not overcome. In Hebrews the "backsliding" is sliding back to Moses and the Law.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting! 2

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

On 3/20/2024 at 5:50 AM, Dennis1209 said:

Hi Dennis,

I do love Hebrews and studied it in Bible College many years ago. I believe the writer by the Holy Spirit is speaking to believers who had `partaken of the Holy Spirit.` If they `fall away,` then who is going to convict and renew them but the very person of the Holy Spirit whom they rejected. 

Hebrews is very interesting for it reveals the inheritance of those from Abel onwards (till the Body of Christ) who believed God`s promise for the heavenly city. (Heb. 11: 1, 16) Then we read of our inheritance which is a greater dominion. (Heb. 11: 40)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,853
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

On 3/19/2024 at 2:50 PM, Dennis1209 said:

I  absolutely agree with you in that specific matter. 

This is a heretic statement if you are not afraid to identify it. To say that for them the only way it would have been that Jesus had to die again. We never write off the people in that and other situations but to the contrary we try to win them back to Jesus Christ and tell them that Jesus Christ is waiting for them and that always will accept them back. That he is waiting for them to come back. 

That He died for all sins including all sins.

In the Old there was not forgiveness for a list of sins. But in the New Testament Jesus Christ died for all sins. Including the sins that were not forgiven in the Sinai Covenant. When I first read this I freaked out and that was enough to understand that Paul has nothing to do with that statement. Scaring the people in that manner. Are you working for Jesus or the Devil. Telling people in their situation not to bother to repent because Jesus will not accept their repentance. That they are lost while they are still alive. This is a sign that He has not understand the Gospel of Grace.  Thank you for bringing this up.  

Edited by Your closest friendnt
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi Dennis,

I do love Hebrews and studied it in Bible College many years ago. I believe the writer by the Holy Spirit is speaking to believers who had `partaken of the Holy Spirit.` If they `fall away,` then who is going to convict and renew them but the very person of the Holy Spirit whom they rejected. 

Hebrews is very interesting for it reveals the inheritance of those from Abel onwards (till the Body of Christ) who believed God`s promise for the heavenly city. (Heb. 11: 1, 16) Then we read of our inheritance which is a greater dominion. (Heb. 11: 40)

I have been studying Hebrews again here lately, and I am about to start chapter ten. Hebrews generally talks about Jesus (Salvation) vs. the Law and Judaism, which seems addressed to potential Messianic Jews.

Questions arise: are the addressees truly converts to Christ, on the fence, or reverting to apostasy, reverting to Judaism? Is this a Salvation issue or a kingdom and reward teaching? I suspect it is the former.

As with my example (Heb. 6:4-6) and elsewhere, it is difficult to determine if the author presents a hypothetical scenario or actual instances. I lean toward the latter.

It gets more indeterminate with the “tastings.” I would think these tastings cannot be the permanent indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Thinking otherwise presents more theological confusion with Pneumatology and Salvation.

I understand Christ died ONCE and for ALL, and there is no more sacrifice. The book of Hebrews almost sounds like one can lose their Salvation by reverting to Judaism (or Islam and any other). If the permanent indwelling Holy Spirit leaves because of apostasy or change of heart, it is only a temporary indwelling, a taste as described.

It could be interpreted that if the Holy Spirit leaves inside of someone (the seal of our Redemption), He is impossible to get back, thus the loss of Salvation. That is a problem with once saved, always saved (OSAS). The Bible presents many conditional clauses, such as "IF," to the end, and continue in. 

I am leaning somewhat toward @AdHoc thoughts about the addressee audience. They tasted the New Covenant, Christian life, and found it palatable and better than the Law. However, they desired the temporary blessings and good things in this life, unwilling to bear their cross with persecution, tribulation, and material goods to follow Jesus.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/27/2024 at 3:16 PM, Dennis1209 said:

I am leaning somewhat toward @AdHoc thoughts about the addressee audience. They tasted the New Covenant, Christian life, and found it palatable and better than the Law. However, they desired the temporary blessings and good things in this life, unwilling to bear their cross with persecution, tribulation, and material goods to follow Jesus.

Let Chapter 3 verse 1 settle the issue;

1 Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus; 2

It was Our Lord Jesus Himself that said in this regard in Luke 5:39, the "Old wine" was better than the New - for men;

39 No man also having drunk old wine straightway desireth new: for he saith, The old is better.

We all want our rewards now, our enemies trashed now and our marriage to Christ now. But in the scheme of God's New Testament economy, we only get it when Christ returns.

@Marilyn C dear sister, if Hebrews 6 is about backsliding then without the possibility of recovery, the parable of the Prodigal is overthrown. The context is whether the sinner could turn to repentance by SACRIFICE again and again under the regime of the New Testament economy.

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

4 hours ago, AdHoc said:

@Marilyn C dear sister, if Hebrews 6 is about backsliding then without the possibility of recovery, the parable of the Prodigal is overthrown. The context is whether the sinner could turn to repentance by SACRIFICE again and again under the regime of the New Testament economy.

The parable of the Prodigal Son is about Israel not believers in the Body of Christ. 

`Then all the tax collectors and the sinners drew near to Him to hear Him. And the Pharisees and scribes complained, saying, "This man receives sinners and eats with them." (Luke 15: 1 & 2)

Jesus went on to tell them of some parables. The Prodigal son was one of them. We know that the Father represents God the Father, while the older son represents the self-righteous Pharisees. The younger son who went astray represents the tax collectors and sinners who began to draw near to Jesus and listen to Him. They were returning to God the Father. 

11 hours ago, AdHoc said:

if Hebrews 6 is about backsliding then without the possibility of recovery, the parable of the Prodigal is overthrown. The context is whether the sinner could turn to repentance by SACRIFICE again and again under the regime of the New Testament economy.

Are you familiar with the Catholic dogma, practices, and beliefs of the Eucharist?

11 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

The parable of the Prodigal Son is about Israel not believers in the Body of Christ. 

`Then all the tax collectors and the sinners drew near to Him to hear Him. And the Pharisees and scribes complained, saying, "This man receives sinners and eats with them." (Luke 15: 1 & 2)

Jesus went on to tell them of some parables. The Prodigal son was one of them. We know that the Father represents God the Father, while the older son represents the self-righteous Pharisees. The younger son who went astray represents the tax collectors and sinners who began to draw near to Jesus and listen to Him. They were returning to God the Father. 

Nay my sister. It is about a FATHER and two SONS. To be a SON of God you need rebirth. For rebirth you need faith. Israel never believe. Israel never manage the Father's goods. Israel never repent. The Pharisees are never given "all that I have". Your teachers have let you down.