• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,489
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

It means the following to me:

The Greek word for “grace,” charis, is equivalent to the Hebrew word hesed, which means “loving kindness”—a word frequently used by the psalmists to describe God’s character. In the New Testament, the word charis usually means “divine favor” or “goodwill,” but it also means “that which gives joy” and “that which is a free gift.”
Grace is the gift of God. It is expressed in God’s actions of extending mercy, loving-kindness, and salvation to people. Divine grace is embodied in the person of Jesus Christ (John 1:14, 17). God’s grace manifested in Jesus Christ makes it possible for God to forgive sinners and to gather them in the church. During His ministry, Jesus repeatedly offered forgiveness to a great number of sinners and extended God’s succor for a variety of desperate human needs. Through teachings such as the father’s forgiveness of the prodigal son and the search for the lost sheep, Jesus made it clear that He had come to seek and save those who were lost. But ultimately, it was His redemptive death on the cross which opened wide the gate of salvation for repentant sinners so that they have access to God’s forgiving and restorative grace.
This simple truth is formulated in the doctrine of “justification by faith through grace” (Rom. 3:23; Titus 3:7). According to this teaching, God graciously provides life, through the death of Christ, to sinners who believe in Jesus. Jesus’ substitutionary death for all people enables God to pronounce a verdict of “not guilty” on repentant sinners and to include them in His eternal purposes. God’s grace manifested in Jesus also makes it possible for God to bestow undeserved benefits on believers. These benefits enrich our lives and unite us together in the church. God’s acceptance of believers on the basis of grace gives us a new status: we are children of God, members of the household of God, and can relate to Him as our heavenly Father (Gal. 4:4–6).
God’s disposition to exercise goodwill towards His creatures is another essential meaning of “grace” in the Bible. This favorable disposition of God finds its supreme expression in Jesus Christ. By its very definition, this grace is rendered fully accessible to all humans with no precondition other than a repentant desire to receive it (Titus 2:11–12). The tragic alternative to receiving God’s grace is to remain in hopeless alienation from God (Rom. 1:21). Therefore, let us accept God’s gift of grace granted to us in Christ Jesus.

Carpenter, Eugene E., and Philip W. Comfort. 2000. In Holman Treasury of Key Bible Words: 200 Greek and 200 Hebrew Words Defined and Explained, 295. Nashville, TN: Broadman & Holman Publishers.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,264
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

15 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

God’s disposition to exercise goodwill towards His creatures is another essential meaning of “grace” in the Bible. This favorable disposition of God finds its supreme expression in Jesus Christ. By its very definition, this grace is rendered fully accessible to all humans with no precondition other than a repentant desire to receive it (Titus 2:11–12).

default_thumbsup.gif.39025baaeb7584033502eb005131a208.gif

"The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much"
                                      (Nothing to do with law/legalism)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,133
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/25/1970

I had to look it up because I didn't even know what it means in English nor Dutch, cause they use an old word. This is the Dutch translation translated to English:

See to it that no one despises the grace of God, that no bitter root springs up and causes confusion, and thereby defiles many.
Hebrews 12:15 
https://bible.com/bible/328/heb.12.15.NBG51

See to it that no one comes behind on the grace of God, and that no root of bitterness springs up and causes trouble to defile many.
Hebrews 12:15 ESV
https://bible.com/bible/1990/heb.12.15.HSV

This is a modern not real translation:

Also be careful that none of you miss out on God's loving-kindness [ by not wanting to forgive someone ]. For bitterness is like a seed from which a poisonous plant grows. Everyone becomes poisoned by it and that has major consequences. Because arguments create divisions in the church.
HEBREWS 12:15 ESV
https://bible.com/bible/1276/heb.12.15.BB

See to it that none of you miss the grace of God/ let it go by on you
Hebrews 12:15 NIV
https://bible.com/bible/75/heb.12.15.HTB

See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no “root of bitterness” springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled; ESV

Despises, that sounds like what they said in Toronto. If you refused to forgive someone you were in legalism because you wanted your justice and then God doesn't forgive you either.

Or it can also be that you love the world and think that's more important and leave God for whatever nonsense just like Esau, money, a relationship, food.

• Thumbs Up 2

I never really understood how bad it was. I always felt sorry for Esau. 

But I was just reading it. It sounds especially funny in Dutch. Oh the New American Bible reversed says the same.

Let me gulp down some of that red stuff

It's just like the eldest may marry a girl and then the youngest wants her and says: you may get this lentil stuff (eeeeww lentils, that doesn't even taste good) if I can marry her and he says yeah sure who cares GULP.

That's like:

Then He said to him, “A certain man gave a great supper and invited many, and sent his servant at supper time to say to those who were invited, ‘Come, for all things are now ready.’ But they all with one accord began to make excuses. The first said to him, ‘I have bought a piece of ground, and I must go and see it. I ask you to have me excused.’ And another said, ‘I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I am going to test them. I ask you to have me excused.’ Still another said, ‘I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.’ So that servant came and reported these things to his master. Then the master of the house, being angry, said to his servant, ‘Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in here the poor and the maimed and the lame and the blind.’ Then the master said to the servant, ‘Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled. For I say to you that none of those men who were invited shall taste my supper.’ ”
Luke 14:16‭-‬21‭, ‬23‭-‬24 NKJV
https://bible.com/bible/114/luk.14.16-24.NKJV

Edited by RdJ
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,335
  • Content Per Day:  2.78

3 hours ago, RdJ said:

See to it that no one despises the grace of God, that no bitter root springs up and causes confusion, and thereby defiles many.
Hebrews 12:15 

It is my opinion, even though I have been told I am wrong, that Matt 5:29 means the same thing as Heb 12:15. As quoted above.

29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

God never expected one to Pluck out one's  own Eye under the old law and now verse 5:29 is after the old law, The beginning of the new law of New Covenant He would expect that of a NC believer either.

In Matt 4:17 we see Jesus has started preaching the Kingdom of Heaven.

17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

So for me Matt 5:29 is not for an individual but rather the body of Christ. The body of Christ has different members as does our physical body.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,507
  • Content Per Day:  12.19
  • Days Won:  31

1 hour ago, NConly said:

It is my opinion, even though I have been told I am wrong, that Matt 5:29 means the same thing as Heb 12:15. As quoted above.

29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

God never expected one to Pluck out one's  own Eye under the old law and now verse 5:29 is after the old law, The beginning of the new law of New Covenant He would expect that of a NC believer either.

17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

So for me Matt 5:29 is not for an individual but rather the body of Christ. The body of Christ has different members as does our physical body.

@NConly

FYI:

"All of grace, yes, grace surpassing,
Such a portion to bestow;
But the love all knowledge passing,
Grace has called us now to know;
Love that bore the stripes and sorrow,
Love that suffered on the tree,
Love that shares the bright to-morrow
With the loved ones, you and me." (T H Reynolds)

(A scriptural sentiment, indeed...)

7 hours ago, NConly said:

Maybe you're right. If a church doesn't kick a wolf out I'm not going there.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, NConly said:

It may mean both. Not literal of course, but I know someone who had problems with watching filth on tv, so he didn't pluck his eyes out, but he threw the tv out. That was years ago before internet.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,335
  • Content Per Day:  2.78

2 hours ago, RdJ said:

It may mean both. Not literal of course, but I know someone who had problems with watching filth on tv, so he didn't pluck his eyes out, but he threw the tv out. That was years ago before internet.

The verse does not advise going to have eye removed medically. If one were to remove his on eye or foot or right hand they would bleed to death. The bible does not teach killing ones self that is why I say it is for the body of Christ. A member of the church can be removed from the body without harm to the body or the body dying. the body would actually thrive with bad members removed. So I suppose what you say could apply.

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,605
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

20 hours ago, NConly said:

Shabbat Shalom, NConly.

This shows the INTENT one should be willing to go to prevent offense against God's Law. I agree that God never expected one to go to that length, but one should seek every other way possible to avoid the offense, even this, if there was left to him or her no other way!

20 hours ago, NConly said:

First, one needs to properly define the word "ouranos" which is used in Matthew 4:17:

Here's the Greek:

17 Ἀπὸ τότε ἤρξατο ὁ Ἰησοῦς κηρύσσειν καὶ λέγειν, Μετανοεῖτε· ἤγγικε γὰρ ἡ βασιλεία τῶν οὐρανῶν.

Transliterated, this is ...

17 Apo tote eerxato ho Ieesous keerussein kai legein, Metanoeite; eeggike gar hee basileia toon ouranoon.

Translated word-for-word recognizing that "toon ouranoon" is in the ablative case, we get ...

17 From then began the Yeeshuwa` to-herald and to-say, "Change-your-mind; has-drawn-near <-> for the kingdom from-the skies."

Second, one must put this in context: Open this verse up to its context and see why Mattityahuw ("Matthew") writes this.

Matthew 3:1-12 (KJV)

1 In those days came John the Baptist, preaching (Greek: κηρύσσων = keerussoon = "heralding" like a town cryer) in the wilderness of Judaea, 2 And saying,

"Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." (Greek: Μετανοεῖτε· ἤγγικε γὰρ ἡ βασιλεία τῶν οὐρανῶν. = Metanoeite; eeggike gar hee basileia toon ouranoon. = "Change-your-mind; has-drawn near <-> for the kingdom from-the skies.")

3 For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias (Isaiah or Yesha`yahuw), saying,

"The voice of one crying in the wilderness, 'Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.'"  (Isaiah 40:3)

4 And the same John had his raiment of camel's hair, and a leathern girdle about his loins; and his meat was locusts and wild honey. 5 Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judaea, and all the region round about Jordan, 6 And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.

7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them,

"O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come? 8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance: 9 And think not to say within yourselves,

"'We have Abraham to our father' :

"for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham. 10 And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire: 12 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire."

Then, we read of Yeeshuwa`s baptism (Βαπτισθεὶς = Baptistheis = He-having-been-immersed) and then His 40 days of temptation in 3:13-17 and 4:1-11. Then, we read, 

Matthew 4:12-17 (KJV)

12 Now when Jesus had heard that John was cast into prison, he departed into Galilee; 13 And leaving Nazareth, he came and dwelt in Capernaum (Kfar-Nachuwm), which is upon the sea coast, in the borders of Zabulon and Nephthalim: 14 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying,

15 "The land of Zabulon, and the land of Nephthalim, by the way of the sea, beyond Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles; 16 The people which sat in darkness saw great light; and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light is sprung up." (Isaiah 9:1-2)

17 From that time Jesus began to preach (Greek: κηρύσσειν = keerussein = "to herald" as a town cryer), and to say,

"Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."

So, Yeeshuwa` had to take up the SAME MESSAGE as His herald before Him, when He learned that Yochanan (John) had been locked up in prison.

Edited by Retrobyter
to remove white space
  • Interesting! 1