• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,375
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Eli1 said:

This is just a simple fact of life my friend

You have not established your claim in "fact" whatsoever.

1 hour ago, Eli1 said:

as a mature Christian you should be beyond political correctness at this point

My decision to check you on what I consider to be an unwise statement is not a legitimate example of "political correctness". Ironically, trying to belittle an opposing view by misrepresenting the person (e.g. insinuating that the person is acting immaturely by disagreeing with you) is an established strategy of the politically correct. The politically correct are those who try to control disagreeable speech. Furthermore, the politically correct tend to emphasize the differences between groups in order to generate divisions between them.

My point is the opposite of "political correctness". I did not claim myself to be "mature". I claimed that there is a spectrum of maturity across Christianity. And therefore, your insinuation that immaturity is a problem exclusive to "Protestants" is both unfounded, and unnecessarily divisive.

1 hour ago, Eli1 said:

Are other denominations confused?

It is also absurdly simplistic to treat "Protestants" as a singular, homogeneous group (or denomination).

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/1978

1 hour ago, Marathoner said:

I'm in agreement with @Eli1 in this matter, though I would clarify this is a predilection I've observed specifically among evangelicals; "Protestant" is too broad of a brush to paint with in my estimation. I do appreciate your viewpoint as a fellow outsider looking in, my friend. 

I'm an evangelical according to the discrete definition of the term but apart from that distinction, I'm an outsider to evangelical circles and their churches. This propensity to support false prophets and an unhealthy fixation upon "doom and gloom" has much to do with the dominance of premillennial dispensationalism among those evangelical circles, Eli1. 

It's not not fair nor truthful to paint all evangelicals in such a way, for there are some who hold to a decidedly dispensational theology without falling prey to the hysteria of what I call "end times mania." It's all the rage, my friend. 

No matter the time it's always the same: the end is just around the bend. This was the rage during the late 19th century... the early and mid 20th century... 1988, the 1990s, the year 2000, 2012, 2020, 2023, 2024, 2025, and so on. 

I appreciate your response here Marathoner. It also helps me understand more the fine details of Protestants. 

You have to understand that from my point of view, a lot of Americans fall under the general umbrella of Protestantism but I realize internally that you have many flavors inside that too. 

However I really appreciate your description about pre millennial dispensationalism  which explains a segment of this population who’s all about doom and gloom and false prophecies. 

Thanks again and God bless you. 
Feel free to ask me anything too. 

1 hour ago, Tristen said:

You have not established your claim in "fact" whatsoever.

My decision to check you on what I consider to be an unwise statement is not a legitimate example of "political correctness". Ironically, trying to belittle an opposing view by misrepresenting the person (e.g. insinuating that the person is acting immaturely by disagreeing with you) is an established strategy of the politically correct. The politically correct are those who try to control disagreeable speech. Furthermore, the politically correct tend to emphasize the differences between groups in order to generate divisions between them.

My point is the opposite of "political correctness". I did not claim myself to be "mature". I claimed that there is a spectrum of maturity across Christianity. And therefore, your insinuation that immaturity is a problem exclusive to "Protestants" is both unfounded, and unnecessarily divisive.

It is also absurdly simplistic to treat "Protestants" as a singular, homogeneous group (or denomination).

Tristen I can see from your response that you’re more interested in word games and it also comes from your legalistic culture so it’s not your fault.

A lot of atheists use this language too so it’s understandable .

However I do not know anything about you to further discuss these finer details or definitions or assumptions about creationism or big bag or anything of the sort to say if you’re applying any of these rigorous concepts to yourself or if you just like to say words. 

In either case, I don’t think the discussion would be very fruitful because I’ve done this sort of thing before with this mindset where people are stuck in text or definitions without any larger point or failing to apply definitions to themselves. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  2,375
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, Eli1 said:

Tristen I can see from your response that you’re more interested in word games and it also comes from your legalistic culture so it’s not your fault.

A lot of atheists use this language too so it’s understandable .

It is ironic that you posture yourself as intellectually superior, but at the same time ignore my arguments - choosing instead to resort to logic fallacy (Appeals to Motive and Innuendo) as well as patronizing rhetoric.

You have decided to be disingenuous in your responses. Therefore, I agree that further conversation with you would not be fruitful.

4 hours ago, Eli1 said:

I’ve done this sort of thing before

I have no doubt.

4 hours ago, Eli1 said:

with this mindset where people are stuck in text or definitions without any larger point or failing to apply definitions to themselves

And you choose to end on more logic fallacy; more Innuendo and Appeals to Motive.

My "larger point" was very clear - I claimed you made an unfair and unfounded generalization in an earlier comment. I called you out to justify your comment, and you decided to start dishonestly accusing me of nonsense (e.g. "political correctness").

So be it - you are not accountable to me.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,176
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

16 hours ago, Eli1 said:

You sure about that?

Because a LOT of Protestants are the opposite of that. 
They're all about doom and gloom, the sky is falling, run for the hills, false prophets type. 

Not very trusting in our Lord, are they.  He told us of these things coming so we would not lose faith when they came.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, other one said:

Not very trusting in our Lord, are they.  He told us of these things coming so we would not lose faith when they came.

Honestly i don't even understand how a Christian can lose faith when he sees the second coming of Jesus. 

For me and others it would be a relief. Finally! God is here to fix this fallen world and bring the New Jerusalem. 

And this second coming would even convert millions of unbelievers too. 

So i don't even know how one would lose faith during a miraculous event. 

Edited by Eli1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,335
  • Content Per Day:  2.79

3 minutes ago, Eli1 said:

And this second coming would even convert millions of unbelievers too. 

where is this found in our Bible?

Just now, NConly said:

where is this found in our Bible?

This is not in the Bible, it's just my idea. 

This question is common among Protestants too. 

Is this [action] found in the Bible?

There are a million things we do in our daily lives that are not in the Bible. 
What's in the Bible is a moral guide for the million things we do in our lives. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,335
  • Content Per Day:  2.79

9 minutes ago, Eli1 said:

This is not in the Bible, it's just my idea. 

This question is common among Protestants too. 

Is this [action] found in the Bible?

There are a million things we do in our daily lives that are not in the Bible. 
What's in the Bible is a moral guide for the million things we do in our lives. 

The way I understand this subject is

Jesus returns in the air for a rapture of those already repented. The great tribulation starts or gets worse and one/many can during the Trib repent, Then Jesus returns  to be on the Earth once he stands on earth it is to late.

Someone may correct me if I am, wrong.

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,094
  • Content Per Day:  9.72
  • Days Won:  149

I would not discount a brother or sister who has prophetic gifts.

OTOH I know we have a large share of doom and gloomers around. 

I simply look at the times and I KNOW God won't let things slide indefinitely. His desire is to SAVE those who need to be saved. He has a lot of patience.

There are false prophets, doom and gloomers and people with genuine prophetic gifts. If it's a youtuber that gets plays by hyping end times theories, I stay away. If it's someone I know personally who God has endowed in this way, I listen. We should use spiritual discernment. ( see comments in the thread on hearing the voice of God)

Again, even for those who don't have prophetic gifts, the writing is on the wall IMO in light of the bible. Will it be tomorrow or next week? I would never be so bold. I think we should be ready for it to happen. 

Will this be an ark situation or will people have a chance to change? They had 300/400 years to mock Noah. 

The Spirit of God speaks to our spirit and if that Spirit is speaking to others, then yes, something is on the horizon. 

• Thumbs Up 1