• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/23/1986

I do watch TV and honestly I don't feel a conviction to participate in a "turn off the TV" event.

I'm the same. Not that I think it's a bad idea, I just don't feel any conviction to do it myself.

I rarely watch TV. The only things I watch with regularity are Neighbours, The Simpsons, Spongebob and Scrubs.

If something has a lot of sex, nudity, swearing etc I'm immediately put off and I'd rather watch something else or a DVD. Or read a good book.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

Great post, Keith. Especially this part:

I'm presenting this thread because I honestly believe that television has become about 95% evil in it's addiction powers and content.

That is so true. Last week, I decided to give something a try, thinking maybe I was wrong about tv. I tuned into something called "Two and a half men" and didn't make it past 12 minutes. It was utter garbage - some annoying kid telling his class about his home experiences and the bathroom humor and what was supposed to be "hysterical" was just plain garbage. Evidently, this kid is raised by his father and uncle. The mother, who gave the men a lecture on raising a kid with moral behavior was, of course, laughed at and mocked. The kid took great pleasure in belching loudly and took pride in the fact that "the last one hurt". He also made reference to having to sit on the toilet and some other crude bathroom "humor". He talked about how he watched " The Spy who Shagged me" with is dad. His uncle was on the coach with a woman in her underwear and the woman's husband came to the door looking for her. The uncle said "man, this is so stressful when this happens" and the canned laughter that this is a regular occurance was unreal. I couldn't believe that this is what passes for "entertainment" now and how depraved it was. Just about every sitcom has either no father present, or the father is mocked and disrespected. That's nothing new - think "Tim the Tool Man Taylor", a popular show. And when I thought of all the kids who watch this garbage, I was saddened. And we wonder why we have the problems in the schools, and with disrespect of authority and no morality? It just seems like a no-brainer to me. Personally, I think it started with Norman Lear in the 70's. Up until then, it was wholesome family shows. But then we got "Three's Company", "Good Times", "All in the Family" and a host of others that I think seriously eroded society. Why do people gobble this stuff up?

Then there's the latest fad - all the CSI type shows and the obsession with the macabre, violent death, and the darkest, most evil side of life. It really is sad. I was watching "Cold Case" but it too is all about the dark side of life and the political statements (anti-conservative, pro-liberal of course) in between the lines was enough to have me turn it off.

"News" is defunct. It's all political commentary now.

It really is very sad how so many people are influenced by all of this and it is so telling in society that I am at a loss as to how others can't see it. It's so discouraging.

Oh gosh, you started me on my t.v rant. :P Sorry - I feel as strongly about it as you do. :o

I'll think about your challenge, but I'd miss the food channel and DIY. :laugh:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

I do watch TV, but not on a regular basis. There are some days I don't watch it at all and I don't miss it. I also rent DVDs. There are some very good movies out there. But I can do without them too.

Thanks for responding, Abigailwc! It sounds like you have your TV under control. :thumbsup: The point of this thread was to hopefully get people to consciously think about something they may be unconsciously doing - or being affected by. I rent DVD's, too, and you're right. There are some really good movies out there!

I try to be very careful about the ratings. Do you realize that some PG and most PG-13 movies would have been rated R in years past? Mostly because of the language. Society has simply come to expect and accept vulgar language in the movies they watch. I know we can't escape vulgar language in the world today, but personally, I try hard to not bring it into my home. I can't control other people's language, but I can control what I bring into my home.

• Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,838
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Birthday:  05/29/1991

I would like to start a thread (after having been given some encouragement to do so) about watching television. I really want this thread to take off because television has become the most popular appliance in people's homes. In my opinion, it's also one of the most lied about subjects by Christians and non-Christians. I want to challenge you to participate honestly in this thread and in the challenge at the end of this post.

I am also asking that we all keep our posts strictly about television and DVD watching on television. Yes, there are many other things that comments in this thread will pertain to but the purpose of this thread is television only! Please try to respect this. I know it's hard to not go off in other directions, but I am respectfully asking that we all refrain from doing so. Let's deal with television. I am looking for serious discussions, not just someone looking for a debate. I believe this is a huge issue in the world today and I believe the amount of participation in this thread will indicate how much so for Christians.

I will start off by saying that television itself is not either good or evil. It has the power to produce both. I use the word "power" on purpose because that's what it contains. The power to ensnare us or the power to educate us.

The positive side of television is that it can inform us. Weather reports have saved lives, the news has educated us (however one-sided it may be presented) to what's going on around the world and in our hometowns. There are good, quality TV shows and sports games to entertain us. There are also good teaching programs. Television has been used to help fulfill Matthew 28:19..."Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit," and countless lives have been changed by it!

On the negative side, the media has abused it's power and has brain-washed many people into believing life should be easy and fun and convenient. "Hey! You deserve the best!" It's produced mindless addicts who are glued to the tube daily, taking time away from family, friends and God. The most popular shows today glorify the worst that mankind has to offer and focus on evil. People find their enjoyment and get a (sick) satisfaction out of watching other people in difficult or painful situations. (Reality shows)

Television has also helped fulfill 2 Timothy 3:1-5 "But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God

Hi Keith,

Here in New Zealand we have four T.V channels and 'sky television' , for anyone that is willing to fork out for a sky dish etc and pay a monthly fee. T.V isn't an issue in my home. Mainly because we only get three channels. We have a small selection of programmes that I watch with my teens.

Some of the content in the USA and British films we get are misleading. It does no justice to the people who live in these countries. The ones who live ordinary lives are hardworking, giving or are just simple folk. For example, Police Departments have abusive or gay staff. The 17% coverage that we get are on politics, religion, obesity, drugs, poverty, racism. Television is not always a good or reliable way to stay informed. Editing and sensationalism distort the facts to get higher ratings. - We never miss Jackie Chan films.

Are you going to start a post on video games?? That would be interesting for me, as my teens can spend hours and hours on these.

:)

I appreciate your thoughts because you bring up some wonderful points. Shows that make the police look bad certainly don't help the image of policemen in real life. Too many people base their opinions of real life things according to TV shows. It's what they see so it's how it must be. TV makes homosexuality funny and charming. I don't know how many times I've heard people say, "I wish I had a friend like Jack!" referring to a flamboyantly gay character on Will and Grace. As I said in my original post, tv glamorizes evil and puts forth the very worst that mankind has to offer and calls it entertainment.

The part of your post that I put in bold is a good point, too. Even when I had television, I never watched the news unless there was a "Breaking News" story. To be honest, I have no idea how to judge if a news broadcast is being fair and impartial and not bending the story to benefit a particular viewpoint. I'm not a politically-minded person so it's hard to tell for me. I refuse to read newspapers beyond the headlines. I search out news articles online to post but, even then, how do I know if it's the truth or not?

Personally, I won't be starting a thread on video games. I would encourage you, too, though! I certainly don't have a monopoly on any topics. :thumbsup:

I live in a household where the TV is on practically all the time - not by my choice.

I'd have more success in training my cat to stop meowing in the morning before I feed her than to get certain members of my family to turn off the blasted TV.

So, even if I decided to do a TV fast, I couldn't, because there is no way to avoid it.

I am selective in what I watch, though. Not much on thrills me.

Fox News Network, a local morning news station, Myth Busters (they rock!), historical and scientific documentaries that come on when I find them, some Explorer program Sat. morning (real cool outdoor adventure stuff), Day of Discovery <<-- Check it out!, Untold Stories of the ER, and then a few sci-fi shows I watch with my brother.

If I wasn't living with my brother, I might find an easier time breaking away from the sci-fi . . . but it's something I share with him and we can have fun with together.

So, that's where I'm at.

Nebula, thanks for replying. Yours is a great example of how hard it can be to get away from television, even if you want to. I wish I were wise enough to have an answer for situations like this. You can't very well take control of everyone's viewing habits in your house. The only thing you could really do is leave the room, or house, to get away from it. But why should you have to? It would appear anti-social and judgmental if you did it very often. All you can do is be aware of what you're watching and how it affects you.

Keith,

Thank you; it's nice to see someone taking a level-headed, non-judgemental approach to the subject. Growing up Pentecostal with an emphasis on being holy, some people went to the point of saying TV was a sin, etc.

I do watch TV and honestly I don't feel a conviction to participate in a "turn off the TV" event. I don't really do an excessive amount of TV; when I do watch TV it is mainly the older sit-coms and older detective shows ("Rockford Files," etc.). I really like DIY type of stuff. During the summer I watch a lot of baseball as well, lol!

I used to be a huge fan of "Dallas" and even managed to get re-hooked on it from re-runs, lol! The closer I've gotten to God the less I've watched it. I always fought with thoughts for a long time of "you wouldn't listen to music like that, why watch it on TV?" and I have now started putting thought into action and haven't watched the show in ages!

Thanks for the encouragement. I was hoping I presented this topic in a non-judgmental way. My whole purpose was to present the situation in a way that people would take a moment and consciously think about what they were watching, why they were watching it and answer honestly to how it affects their lives. Has our language or thought processes been affected by what we watch? How about our sense of humor or what we find humorous? Has it affected our relationship with God or our families? How much time is spent with them verses in front of the TV? Which one takes priority?

I realize I'm risking my very life by questioning sports but this applies to sports, too. How much time does watching sports take up in a week? Does it affect going to church or making sure to rush home immediately after? Does it take time away from the family? Do we have to watch the game? How is our conduct/speech during the game? Do we idolize the players/teams? Do we get easily riled-up or angered during the game or during conversations about the game? Does our excitement and loyalty for the Lord rival that of our favorite sports team or our love for the game?

I started a thread on the Sports Board about Sports and Players as Idols. Very few people responded to it, but I'm not surprised. In my opinion, sports has become a religion of sorts - and most definitely an idol - in this country. It has become a subject that people get very offended and angry with when it's discussed. It's like talking in a men's room... you just don't bring it up! In my opinion, I think the silence speaks for itself. Of course, these are just my thoughts on the subject.

I do watch TV and honestly I don't feel a conviction to participate in a "turn off the TV" event.

I'm the same. Not that I think it's a bad idea, I just don't feel any conviction to do it myself.

I rarely watch TV. The only things I watch with regularity are Neighbours, The Simpsons, Spongebob and Scrubs.

If something has a lot of sex, nudity, swearing etc I'm immediately put off and I'd rather watch something else or a DVD. Or read a good book.

darkest red,

I appreciate your response. You bring up one of the points of my creatiing this thread. This is no way a judgment or personal remark about you in any way. It's simply an avenue to approach the subject of sex, nudity, swearing, etc.,

In the comment above, I highlighted part of your response. My question is this: How much is too much? How much is ok to view or listen to? Why? This is what I mean when I ask, "How has Hollywood, and the media, affected our thinking?" Swearing in a movie used to make it Rated R. Now it's rampant in PG and PG-13 films. They can even get away with a single swear word in a G-rated movie. Have we become desensitized by this and gotten so used to it that we have subtly and unconsciously come to accept it? Why do we accept it?

Again, I just want to make perfectly clear to everyone that my comments above are NOT aimed at darkest red!!! She is simply being honest in bringing up a point that almost everyone of us could just as validly make, and one that I would have brought up in due time.

Keith,

I realize I'm risking my very life by questioning sports but this applies to sports, too. How much time does watching sports take up in a week? Does it affect going to church or making sure to rush home immediately after? Does it take time away from the family? Do we have to watch the game? How is our conduct/speech during the game? Do we idolize the players/teams? Do we get easily riled-up or angered during the game or during conversations about the game? Does our excitement and loyalty for the Lord rival that of our favorite sports team or our love for the game?

I started a thread on the Sports Board about Sports and Players as Idols. Very few people responded to it, but I'm not surprised. In my opinion, sports has become a religion of sorts - and most definitely an idol - in this country. It has become a subject that people get very offended and angry with when it's discussed. It's like talking in a men's room... you just don't bring it up! In my opinion, I think the silence speaks for itself. Of course, these are just my thoughts on the subject.

I agree with you. I think sports have become almost a religion in itself and can take up waaaay too much of people's time. You only have to look at a TV guide to see how big sports are and how much time people spend watching it. This is slightly off topic but also the fact that sports stars get paid sooo much while people who work long, hard hours to help people, like nurses etc, paid so little compared to, say, David Beckham etc. I guess that shows how much people idolise them.

I'm not really into sports though...the only sports I really have any interest in are rugby, ice hockey and basketball. The latter two are rarely on terrestrial TV in the UK so I very rarely get to see them. The friends I have that are into sports have a very healthy Lord centred life and would happily miss a sports game to go to church, so I'm glad they're not one of the people you're talking about, though I know exactly the type!

darkest red,

I appreciate your response. You bring up one of the points of my creatiing this thread. This is no way a judgment or personal remark about you in any way. It's simply an avenue to approach the subject of sex, nudity, swearing, etc.,

In the comment above, I highlighted part of your response. My question is this: How much is too much? How much is ok to view or listen to? Why? This is what I mean when I ask, "How has Hollywood, and the media, affected our thinking?" Swearing in a movie used to make it Rated R. Now it's rampant in PG and PG-13 films. They can even get away with a single swear word in a G-rated movie. Have we become desensitized by this and gotten so used to it that we have subtly and unconsciously come to accept it? Why do we accept it?

Again, I just want to make perfectly clear to everyone that my comments above are NOT aimed at darkest red!!! She is simply being honest in bringing up a point that almost everyone of us could just as validly make, and one that I would have brought up in due time.

That's a good point. I'm quite sensitive to sex, swearing etc so I have a low threshold! I have to honestly admit though that I do sort of "ignore" it a bit more if I'm enjoying the film or whatever, but that is only with swearing (not that it makes it any better), I really hate with a passion the way that everything seems to have sex by the bucketful. If it's a good film it will sell without needing sex. If it's a good show, it will be viewed without needing sex. Saying all of that though, even if it is a good film, I still flinch when they do swear. I guess that should be telling me something. It does get to a point though when I think "enough is enough" and no matter how good the rest of the film or programme is, I turn it off.

I was brought up in a household where we were taught not to swear and I still don't. The only time I have heard my dad swear is when he found out my brother had tried to commit suicide, and even then it was "mild". I have never heard my mum swear.

I don't like swearing, I never have.

I'm not sure if I should've admitted some of the things I just have but a) I'm sure I'm not totally alone with it and b) if I can't admit it, how do I expect to grow??!!!