abbershay

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  428
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Col 2:16-17 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day-- things which are a {mere} shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

horizoneast,

Thanks for your thoughtful and courteous reply. Do you really think that Adam didn't know that Jesus made the 7th day Holy for him? Adam was right there. He had just been created. He watched Jesus sanctify the day and set it apart for a holy use for him and his posterity. Then Jesus communed with Adam and instructed him as to why he was created. Adam responded in worship and adoration which is always the result of the free gift of eternal life.

Gen 2:1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.

2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Here are the words of Jesus:

Mk 2:27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath: 2:28 Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

So here Jesus says that He made the Holy Sabbath for man, all of mankind in the Greek, and the only man there was Adam. Now since He made it for Adam and mankind, that includes me. I am a man, one of mankind, and a descendant of Adam for whom Jesus made the Sabbath.

The 'Old Covenant' didn't institute any new moral law, having to do with character. God was just restoring the Covenant made with Abraham because the Children of Israel had been in captivity in Paganism for over 400 years. This is why He told to remember, to remember what they had forgotten.

No offense, but with this type of reasoning, we would have to conclude that God never had any laws because they are not mentioned in Scripture before Mt. Sinai. But God does not change. If he has ever had laws, then He has always had laws.

Gen 18:18 Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him? 18:19 For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way (another word for Laws) of the LORD, to do justice and judgment (justice and judgement require law); that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.

Gen 26:4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;

26:5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

You see in the days of Abraham they had no written Scripture. It was all taught and passed down by word of mouth from the Patriarchs. Moses in writing of the history of the Israelites included just the basics so that the Children of Israel would understand where they came from, that they were to be the children of God, the continuation of faithful Abraham and that the Messiah would come through them. Moses didn't have word processing or even a ball point pen and note book. To me it was amazing that he included as much as He did.

You see there was a law against murder at the beginning, even though it was not written down, that is why Cain was cursed, for murdering His brother. This is what God did on the Sabbath is instruct Adam in all His ways, His laws and statutes. This is what the Sabbath was made for, for the people to receive the instruction in the ways, laws of the Lord. What confusion there would be with a God who changes. One time it is wrong to break the Sabbath, and the next it is OK? One group gets stoned and the next group gets a pass. What kind of a God is that?

I'm glad that God never changes. and thus His ways never change.

God bless you brother,

Dennis

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  428
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

God doesn't change, but his laws which are specific to certain groups, are not applicable to everyone. The dietary laws for example were different for Adam and Eve, than for Noah. They were different for Noah than for the Jews. They are different for Christians than they are for the Jews.

God gave the Ten Commandments to Moses as the foundation of the law to the Jews. Much of the Mosaic ceremonial laws were a foreshadowing of the coming Messiah, which were later fulfilled when Christ came. The other nine commandments are eternal truths that have been applied to all groups of people, but the Sabbath was only required of the Jews under the Mosaic Law. When Christ came, it was no longer necesary to perform the ceremonies that signified His future coming.

Col 2:16-17 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day-- things which are a {mere} shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

If you are in Christ, you are no longer required to fulfill the ceremonial laws, which are now fulfilled in Christ. If you want to keep the Sabbath, I am not to act as your judge, nor are you to act as mine for not keeping it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,089
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  5

Yes I could have. . . but because of the nature of their errors I am more inclined to state it the way I did because I would want to discourage anyone from considering SDA teachings.

BlindSeeker - we finally have some common ground found in the error taught by SDAism. Do you agree that God calls those in such organizations to 'Come out from among them, and be separate?' Do you agree or disagree with our SDA friends when they argue that one

Dennis

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Birthday:  02/23/1982

Hi friends,

I was just reading the last few post and as usual the colossians 2:16 argument came up. I was wondering; even though the text says that we should not judge; does that text also mean that it (the sabbath) is not meant to be kept anymore? :cool:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,275
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

Remnantrob, Most of the people that I have read that thinks as I do about the sabbath do not believe that it was don't away with, but made a way of life. A born again Christian that has made Jesus his/her Lord is living a life of Sabbaths.

So basically this whole conversation that has stretched to over a hundred pages on the last three or four threads is really people talking about different things. Sabbath keepers keep telling us that the Sabbath was not done away with and we non keepers of the literal law have been saying that it has been changed to a different status and the discussion goes around and around.

Another site i post on regularly has three threads that are at about 40 pages doing the same things with the same arguments. There really is no end to it for we are all really discussing different things.

BTW the noahide laws are not from the bible and stem from places we don't want to go to here unless you want to get into mystical Judaism and I don't think it is a good idea to go there.

Sam

Hi friends,

I was just reading the last few post and as usual the colossians 2:16 argument came up. I was wondering; even though the text says that we should not judge; does that text also mean that it (the sabbath) is not meant to be kept anymore? :cool:

Paul was not referring to the weekly Sabbath, rather the "high day" sabbaths, which were indeed fulffilled in Christ. But as we can see in Hebrews 4, that which the weekly Sabbath points to has yet to come.

Heb 4:9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. (KJV)

Heb 4:9 So that there is still a Sabbath-keeping for the people of God. (BBE)

This is evident from the beginning of Hebrews -

Heb 2:5 For unto the angels hath he not put in subjection
the world to come, whereof we speak

Heb 6:5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers
of the world to come

It is clear that "rest" of which th Sabbath is a shadow of has not yet come, for it is the world to come, therefore we are instructed two fold - Let us therefore fear . . . Let us labor therefore . . .

Heb 4:1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

Heb 4:11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Eph 6:5 Servants,
be obedient
to them that are your masters according to the flesh,
with fear and trembling
, in singleness of your heart,
as unto Christ
;

Php 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved,
as ye have always obeyed
, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence,
work out your own salvation with fear and trembling

Yet today every one just wants to be let alone to rest and do what so ever they feel is right . . .

How is it the church today has forgotten to fear, or for that matter even teach against fearing God. I had one lady who actually told me she was delivered from the fear of God, can you imagine that? Is it that they think they have perfected their love for God already and have no need of fear, or to be working out their salvation? Is it because they feel all they need to do is "believe" and that they don't really need to pray that they may be found worthy?

Lu 21:36 Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

In light of the teaching found in Acts 15

BTW the noahide laws are not from the bible and stem from places we don't want to go to here unless you want to get into mystical Judaism and I don't think it is a good idea to go there.

Sam

The Talmud lists seven laws given to Adam and Noah, which are collectively referred to as the Noahide Laws or the Laws of Noah. These laws are based on an exegesis of Genesis 2:16 and 9:4-6. The laws include: establishing a legal system; refraining from idolatry, blasphemy, murder, robbery, adultery; and not eating from an animal while it still lives. There is certainly nothing sinister or mystical in these laws and they are consistent with what is taught in Scripture. The point being made is they do not include keeping the sabbath because these concepts were given by God to Gentiles who were never required to keep the seventh day.

Actually, the point is the Talmud is not God's Holy Writ.

Perhaps you have some other Church Greeds you would like to cite now , for that is all the Talmud really amounts to . . . just a Jewish "We believe that. . . . "