Brokeback Mountain Review

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20
  • Days Won:  0

I speak, read, and write in koine Greek. I know professors who are much more skilled than I am in Greek as well. When you look to the Greek, you cannot dispute the fact that homosexuality is a sin.

The "translation" argument comes from people who primarily have a novice understanding of Greek or don't know any Greek at all. You CANNOT be a Christian and a practising homosexual. That is the equivalent to saying, "You can be a Christian and a practising child rapist."

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I speak, read, and write in koine Greek. I know professors who are much more skilled than I am in Greek as well. When you look to the Greek, you cannot dispute the fact that homosexuality is a sin.

The "translation" argument comes from people who primarily have a novice understanding of Greek or don't know any Greek at all. You CANNOT be a Christian and a practising homosexual. That is the equivalent to saying, "You can be a Christian and a practising child rapist."

that

that

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.43
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

No credit whatsoever.

Two quotations from professers at universities in New York, one from Berkley , one from New Haven (CT), and one from "Perkins School of Theology" in Dallas Texas.

Of the 5 quotes given only 1 can said to belong to a professer from a predominantly conservative state. The others are from predominantly liberal states, liberal communities, with liberal idealogies, and with deceidedly liberal agendas.

So I would guess that, if these truly are authentic quotes by authentic professors, that these people are just as deceived concerning homosexuality as the communities that they live in!

that

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Revelation 2

12 "And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write,'These things says He who has the sharp two-edged sword:

13 I know your works, and where you dwell, where Satan's throne is. And you hold fast to My name, and did not deny My faith even in the days in which Antipas was My faithful martyr, who was killed among you, where Satan dwells.

14 But I have a few things against you, because you have there those who hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balak to put a stumbling block before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed to idols, and to commit sexual immorality.

15 Thus you also have those who hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.

16 Repent, or else I will come to you quickly and will fight against them with the sword of My mouth.

17 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat. And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it." '

18 "And to the angel of the church in Thyatira write,'These things says the Son of God, who has eyes like a flame of fire, and His feet like fine brass:

19 I know your works, love, service, faith, and your patience; and as for your works, the last are more than the first.

20 Nevertheless I have a few things against you, because you allow

that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, to teach and seduce My servants to commit sexual immorality and eat things sacrificed to idols.

21 And I gave her time to repent of her sexual immorality, and she did not repent.

22 Indeed I will cast her into a sickbed, and those who commit adultery with her into great tribulation, unless they repent of their deeds.

23 I will kill her children with death, and all the churches shall know that I am He who searches the minds and hearts. And I will give to each one of you according to your works.

24 Now to you I say, and to the rest in Thyatira, as many as do not have this doctrine, who have not known the depths of Satan, as they say, I will put on you no other burden.

25 But hold fast what you have till I come.

26 And he who overcomes, and keeps My works until the end, to him I will give power over the nations--

27 'He shall rule them with a rod of iron; They shall be dashed to pieces like the potter's vessels'-- as I also have received from My Father;

28 and I will give him the morning star.

29 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches." '

The failure of these two churches was to either treat sin lightly, or to not regard sin as sin - despite their good deeds and love and service and faith!

Jesus was against them for their sin. No excuses.

Trevor, how do you think Jesus regards sin?

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20

that

I can't agree. Translating language is not an absolute. There is always a choice of words, some of which have a number of meanings. The translation is always open to the interpretation and possibly views of the translator. You think the original author(s) is a homophobe, they don't. It is not clear cut like you say. especially as a fellow bilingual (i speak German) I find this a strange stance.

The translation is always open to the interpretation and possibly views of the translator.

Possibly the views of the translator. That's exactly what the problem is with the "translators" that are quoted on the website you posted!

You think the original author(s) is a homophobe, they don't.

Wrong! Strawman fallacy. The original authors of the Bible were men of God, lovers of God, who were inspired directly by the Holy Spirit of God, to write the Scriptures. They were not "homophobes."

It is not clear cut like you say. especially as a fellow bilingual (i speak German) I find this a strange stance.

It is clear-cut. But even if it weren't clear-cut there is no reason to err on the side of immorality!

"Wrong! Strawman fallacy. The original authors of the Bible were men of God, lovers of God, who were inspired directly by the Holy Spirit of God, to write the Scriptures. They were not "homophobes"

This isn't really the point. Both camps believe in the divine inspiration of the Scriptures. The difference is that from the non-translated original text this group do not recognise God as being a homophobe. Whereas in the, King James, for example God clearly is.