Kabowd

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Tess, whether it's a friend or foe, everyone faces the same thing. The ones that hurt you have themselves been hurt as well - or will be. Part of life is dealing with ups and downs, hurts and disappointments.

We have to continue in this life by listening to the Lord and going where He leads. Sometimes it's painful, sometimes it really hard, but we must lay aside all the weights that would slow us down in our race.

Hbr 12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset [us], and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

Hbr 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of [our] faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

You're going to meet some really crummy people, both believers and non, but remember this Tess: along the way you're going to meet some real jewels. Your life will be enriched by the doing and the trying. If you stop putting yourself out there for fear of getting hurt, you're going to miss out on some really cool things that the Lord has planned for you.

Hang in there sis. Remember that those you meet along the way are trying to stay on the path as well. It's just that some try harder than others.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  164
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

May the Light of Jesus Christ burn ever brighter for you in your time of need. Any consoling words I might have for you would pale to our Masters prayer for you. Please read John 17. He is always there and He will see you through this time.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  526
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  05/03/1961

It all comes down to prayer, fellowship with God.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

Tess, I know how awful it feels to be hurt by Christians. So many of us do. Unfortunately, it's not an uncommon thing. Christians can be brutal. Like you said, sometimes you get more love from "the world". Please, please know that many of us know EXACTLY what you are feeling. Please trust me that "this too shall pass". It won't hurt forever. You will even come to the point someday of feeling sorry for those who hurt you. You will probably end up forgiving them in your heart, whether they ask or not. IF you don't let satan get victory with anger and bitterness. It's so very important to not do that, Tess. Get into the Word - no matter how much you have to MAKE yourself. Neb mentioned the Psalms and I couldn't agree more.

Other places to look:

Angry?....................Matt. 5:9, 22

Depressed?.............Psalm 34

Friend failed you? ...Psalm 41:9-13, Psalm 27, Luke 17:3&4

Need Companionship?...Psalm 23, Heb 13:5&6

Feel Cheated?..............Psalm 103

Sometimes we are so discouraged that we don't want to even pick up a Bible and read it. Those are the times we MOST need to make ourselves. And when you close it, you will be so glad you did.

Is the primary advice for me to just avoid church then? Avoid believers?

Absolutely not. There is no subsitute for the worship service. Go, smile at everyone, and make it all about your worship. Enjoy the singing, enjoy the praising, enjoy being in His presence. There will be people there who have NOT hurt you and you can rejoice in their times of testimony and worshipping with them. It is very easy to find reasons not to go to church and we could all find dozens of them. All they are is excuses. There are many blessings to be had (and that you need) at the worship service. You will be glad you went.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  286
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

No backsies! You cannot run away from God, he will find you eventually.

Romans 11:29...for God's gifts and his call are irrevocable.

You will just have to learn to love people more. It is hard, but it makes us more like Jesus. He made and continues to make himself very vulnerable to us. There just is no way to love without getting hurt.

Edited by MK202002

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Content Count:  428
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Hello Tess, :b:

God's heart is grieved, too. These wise words have often been a source of reprimand, comfort and encouragment to me...

1Co 13:1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

1Co 13:2 If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.

1Co 13:3 And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.

1Co 13:4 Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant,

1Co 13:5 does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered,

1Co 13:6 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth;

1Co 13:7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

1Co 13:8 Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away.

1Co 13:9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part;

1Co 13:10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away.

1Co 13:11 When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things.

1Co 13:12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known.

1Co 13:13 But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Mat 5:8 "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

Mat 5:43 "You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.'

Mat 5:44 "But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Mat 5:45 so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

Mat 6:14 "For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.

Mat 6:15 "But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions.

Mat 7:28 When Jesus had finished these words, the crowds were amazed at His teaching;

Mat 7:29 for He was teaching them as one having authority, and not as their scribes.

God Bless, :b:

Mrs. SE

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Growing up, I was forced to go to church every Sunday. I hated it. My father, who forced me to go, was (in my opinion) one of the biggest hypocrits. What's probably worse is I got nothing out of the church -- it didn't offer me guidance, it made no sense, really, in it's doctrine - which I totally did not understand. When I attended church on the last Sunday before I went away to college, my family and I were leaving after the service, and I excused myself to go back in and pray. I sat (alone) and prayed that God would always take care of me, show me "the way" to have a good life, bring me back to a church (even that one) if that's what was right, that He would show me His Love (that I had not previously found), and teach me about Him and His Son. I was (basically) saying "goodbye". (I cried too. That was a hard prayer... a little scary.) ... ( :b: ... a lot scary!)

Make no mistake, I went through hell in my life. I'm no one to tell you it will be a bed of roses for your decision - but it hasn't been a bed of roses so far, has it? I still prayed when I thought about it or needed to. Mostly, I just tried to be a good person... I always tried to say "what would Jesus do in this situation" without reading something from the Bible [which no one understands completely] to get my answers. [i should clarify that growing up in that church, a few things did stick in my head -- passages (parts of) from the Bible -- principles -- most important, perhaps, "All things are possible".] In deciding what to do, I always tried to take the "upper road" - do what was best - that meant thinking of all the possibilities, the possible consequences ... so my brain was busy... Even when I made bad decisions, I learned from them.

I still thank God for all that I learned... The knowledge is priceless.

At some point, I felt I was being ushered into a realm of Truth - a lot of Rights and Wrongs [knowing what's right and wrong]. I could not have gotten that knowledge from submitting to one church's beliefs.

I suppose what will become clear(er) as I post on this board is that I oppose people clinging to one faith/religion as though that is the absolute. Get out and talk to people -- find out what their faiths/beliefs are -- it'll help you form some of your own. I believe in no one faith, but (instead) a combination of many. Again, I could not have gotten this knowledge (possibilities) from that one church.

This, maybe, helps you in no way. (I suggest you) say your prayers, be mindful of the Lord and God, and do your best at whatever you do.

I'm tired -- I guess I've exhausted both of us (maybe).

Don't worry about what Jesus or God will do/say SO LONG AS you try to be a good person. The Lord will be understanding, I trust.

Have Faith!!! (in yourself and good heart!!) :b:

OneGenesis :b:

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

Hey, Tess little sister, I have been away from the forums a lot lately, but have just read every post in this thread, and like a lot of others, can only pray for you and encourage you not to let things from man interfere with the glorious relationship that you have in Christ Jesus.

I know only too well, the frustration you experience with some of the negativity from some who claim to be christian, but come no where near to your standard of the knowledge of the true meaning of Christ and Him crucified.

I can't advise you where to go to worship, Tessie, but where ever it is remember, you go there to glorify the Lord and not the pastor or the congregation. Just focus on Him and let His glory shine through you. I read all of your posts, sis, even if I don't respond to them all

You are loved here on Worthy, and I.for one, would like you to pray about your feelings, because I'm praying even as I type.

Bless you, Tess,

YBIC,

eric.

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

Is the primary advice for me to just avoid church then? Avoid believers? What does that say about the faith we claim? Where is the hope and joy in that? I should just go live on an island by myself? I just don't want to be vulnerable anymore, I don't want to care. When you care, you open yourself up to being hurt. And people wonder why I have this "tough" exterior. The truth is, it's because underneath I do have a tender heart. I don't show it very easily because I'm tired of having it ripped to shreds. I'm just weary of it all...

Hey Tess,

You cannot avoid the Church; it was instituted for believer to be a part of, for many reasons. Unfortunately, the Church is made up of people, all very human and sinful. So, you really can't avoid Christians either. I know...the world would be great if it wasn't for all these darn people in it. As I said earlier, and as my Pastor is fond of reminding me, we do all for Christ. I don't go to church for my Pastor or his wife or for that nasty old lady with the blue hair; I go in obedience to the Word, and I go to be pleasing to Christ. Those are the main reasons, after that I go because, to be honest, despite some of the people, I just love going to church! As a former Jew, discovering the Church for the first time, I can't understand why they aren't all full! I mean, the Church...what a wonderful idea the Lord came up with. Like marriage, that was His idea too. There are bad marriages but that doesn't mean marriage is a bad thing. Same thing with the Church.

Tess, it seems like the thing that makes you a great person, is also the thing that makes you a perfect target for the enemy: a tender heart. Just stay focused on the Lord.

Edited by Marnie

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I still don't really know how to deal though.

No one does, Tess. Sometimes, just hanging on to Jesus Himself is the only thing you can do. What to do next will sort itself out when the time comes. Just for now, hold tight to Jesus!

Is the primary advice for me to just avoid church then? Avoid believers? What does that say about the faith we claim? Where is the hope and joy in that? I should just go live on an island by myself?

For a season . . . sometimes it's needed to just get away. Think of it as a time-out or time-off.

Now, it doesn't mean you have to avoid believers - but there are times when you can find God better in isolation than in "the comfort zone."

If it's uncomfortable for you, there's no saying you have to. Just don't be afraid of it if this is what you need. It's not a defeat of faith. It's actually more of a pursuit of faith.

Here, Tess -

It's a bit of a read, but I think you might find a connection with this story.

Escape from Christendom

Blessings!