IGNORED

Answer to atheists

Fiosh

Guest Godless Heathen
Atheists often ask: "Why do Christians insist on trying to convince us that God exists; why can't they just keep their beliefs to themselves?"

Because we love you.

It would be a horribly inhuman act for us to watch you continue on the path to hell, and not try to stop you.

Imagine for a moment, if you can, that all we believe is true. God is real. He hates sin. He demands justice. There is a price to pay for sinning against God. He paid the price Himself. He came to earth as a God-man. Jesus died on the cross. Jesus rose from the dead. He ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of the Father. He will judge us all at the end of time.

Jesus died for all. We are free to accept or reject this gift of mercy.

As one poster recently reminded us: "One day EVERY knee shall bow and EVERY tongue proclaim that Jesus Christ is Lord---even yours."

"For God so loved THE WORLD that He sent His only Son, that WHOSOEVER believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

Suppose it's all true. How could I possibly keep that from you????

With the love of Jesus Christ,

Fiosh

;)

Well, this topic has taken some turns and twists, eh! I'd like to respond to the OP.

Atheists often ask: "Why do Christians insist on trying to convince us that God exists; why can't they just keep their beliefs to themselves?"

Because we love you.

It would be a horribly inhuman act for us to watch you continue on the path to hell, and not try to stop you.

Unless you're wrong, then it's just annoying. Generally I think it's really the persistence that bothers atheists. If I'm walking down the street and someone tries to hand me a pamphlet I simply say "no thanks". Now if they persue me THAT'S when it becomes annoying. On those occasions I simply stop and ask them if there is something new in the pamphlet, something that hasn't been said or an idea that hasn't been expressed in the last 2000 years. If so, I'll take it, if not you have to give me 20 dollars for wasting my time. I've never had anyone put the pamphlet in my hand.

Coming to my house is annoying, I don't wander around other peoples neighborhood knocking on their doors asking if they've heard the news about logic, personal responsibility and goodwill without diety worship.

I think the vast majority of atheists are really just put off to christianity, not because someone tries to tell them about it, but because christians try to force their beliefs on everyone through politics. Abortion, womens rights, contraception, death penalty, war, the right to die... basically christianity tries to control aspects of life that nonchristians or nontheists feel are personal choices or in the case of the death penalty and war, they want to control things that we find to be wrong. This desire for control over other people is the main source of animosity. IMHO. ;)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

Okay, you feel we are wasting your time, then why are you here? I'm not on your site.

Guest Godless Heathen
Okay, you feel we are wasting your time, then why are you here? I'm not on your site.

Yes you are, Christians come to nontheist sites every day. You are stopping people on the street and knocking on their doors every day. You are trying to effect my ability to make personal and private choices for myself and my family and the choices of people who don't believe as you do. I'm not talking about you only and specifically so don't bother responding with "not me, I don't do those things". Wasting my time is the smallest part of the issue.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

So instead you came here to waste your own time? I know you think I'm trying to argue with you, I'm really not. I just don't understand with all of the complaints about Christians, why you would come to our web site? When I don't like someone, I stay as far away from them as I can get, as do most people. Instead you come seeking us out, confusing yes?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  1,316
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/01/1970

Anger-People have seen a narrow view of what God is all about-and they are angry at what they have seen. They have this image of Him and they want nothing to do with it. They have seen representations of Christians-maybe they were carnal-maybe they weren't- regardless they have their "image" and they won't let go of it to seek Who He truly Is-their Loss. Thats why I enjoy being lead by the Spirit of God and he Leads me to those he wants me to Speak to. He will deny those who deny him.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

Fiosh, as much as I don't want TIT-for-TAT going on I just want to ask this question. You said you supported Evolution and then you said it was a "Theory" in the Christian way, as if it's "just a theory" after I mentioned it was fact. I realize now that we were talking about Evolutionary Pschology and when I typed that I meant for it to just be Evolution.

Do you or don't you support Evolution?

If Evolutionary Psychology is an upstart, would you wait till the experts hash it out before dismissing it completely?

Was my age of 20-23 a backhanded assumption?

:wub: ?

Hi Daniel,

I'm not sure I totally understand what you are asking, but I'll try my best to answer. :wub::)

RE: "Tit for tat"

Not a problem; it's sometimes the best way to work thru an issue

RE: Evolution is a theory

Uh, it is. It's called the "Theory of Evolution". That being said, I've stated at least twice....maybe 3x....that I DO accept much of the theory of evolution. However, I see God as the Creator, working thru the principles of evolution--- that He established. I'm probably in the minority here at WB, I admit.

RE: Evolutionary Psychology

I stated:

"Although some of the biological findings are factual, much of EP is conjecture and hypothesis. EP itself admits there is still a lot of unanswered questions and research that needs to be done."

Not all of it is in error. As with most deceptions, there is just enough truth to draw you in and blind you to the fact that the conclusions are merely hypothesis-----NOT FACT.

Experts? who decides who the experts are? do we blindly follow those who declare themselves to be experts? Careful, Daniel, you'll soon be right back where you think you started. :taped:

RE: your age

It was an honest impression. In print, to me, you sound "young". Maybe because I don't sense any depth and passion behind your words.

May the peace of Christ find you,

Fiosh

:wub:

I don't know if it's just me or what, and I hope it is but, are you trying to insult me?

I'm really at a loss here.

Not at all, Daniel. Simply an honest answer to your question.

Fiosh, as much as I don't want TIT-for-TAT going on I just want to ask this question. You said you supported Evolution and then you said it was a "Theory" in the Christian way, as if it's "just a theory" after I mentioned it was fact. I realize now that we were talking about Evolutionary Pschology and when I typed that I meant for it to just be Evolution.

Do you or don't you support Evolution?

If Evolutionary Psychology is an upstart, would you wait till the experts hash it out before dismissing it completely?

:wub: ?

As I asked, "Who is the expert???"

From...

http://www.arn.org/docs/johnson/dennett.htm

Phillip E. Johnson

Law Professor

University of California, Berkeley

"...Dennett thinks that the dissenters either fail to understand the logic of Darwinism or shrink from embracing its full metaphysical implications. I prefer another explanation: Darwinism is a lot stronger as philosophy than it is as empirical science. If you aren't willing to challenge the underlying premise of scientific materialism, you are stuck with Darwinism- in-principle as a creation story until you find something better, and it doesn't seem that there is anything better. Once you get past the uncontroversial examples of microevolution, however, such as finch beak variations, peppered moth coloring, and selective breeding, all certainty dissolves in speculation and controversy. Nobody really knows how life originated, where the animal phyla came from, or how natural selection could have produced the qualities of the human mind. Ingenious hypothetical scenarios for the evolution of complex adaptations are presented to the public virtually as fact, but skeptics within science derisively call them "just-so" stories, because they can neither be tested experimentally nor supported by fossil histories."

It was an honest impression. In print, to me, you sound "young". Maybe because I don't sense any depth and passion behind your words.

This is what I was talking about. Something that should at least happen in private. This is very insulting.

My apologies, Daniel.

It was not meant to be an insult. I was trying to explain that while you attempt to make an intellectual case for what you believe, I don't hear any "heart".

I am prepared to die for what I believe. Are you?

Peace,

F

Guest Thomas I believe

This is what I was talking about. Something that should at least happen in private. This is very insulting.

My apologies, Daniel.

It was not meant to be an insult. I was trying to explain that while you attempt to make an intellectual case for what you believe, I don't hear any "heart".

I am prepared to die for what I believe. Are you?

Peace,

F

Excellent question sis !! :wub: