IGNORED

What is proper attire for public worship?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

They actually made her wear a skirt on the outside of her (purple) snowsuit, when they went outside sledding!

:thumbsup:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  359
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/05/1946

Greetings of Joy & Peace~

50 years ago when I was ten years old, my folks and I would always dress up for church. It was a way of showing respect. Even to this day my mother dresses up for church. You would never catch her wearing blue jeans and a top.

Values and styles have changed over the years. :) Most stores require a shirt and shoes to purchase anything in their store. :)

I am sure that G-D and His Son, Yeshua, wouldn't require any more,neither. :noidea:

Snow4JC

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,200
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

One of the most devout Christians I knew growing up wore bib overalls to church. He was always clean and his hair neat and in place, but all he wore all the time was bib overalls..... I learned at an early age that what you wear on the outside has little to do with what's on the inside...... I just wish everyone was aware of that.

Sam

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

Greetings of Joy & Peace~

50 years ago when I was ten years old, my folks and I would always dress up for church. It was a way of showing respect. Even to this day my mother dresses up for church. You would never catch her wearing blue jeans and a top.

Values and styles have changed over the years. :thumbsup: Most stores require a shirt and shoes to purchase anything in their store. :cool:

I am sure that G-D and His Son, Yeshua, wouldn't require any more,neither. :emot-handshake:

Snow4JC

Thanks. I thought I was in a minority here. As a young believer even I understood that while "the church is not a building" (if I read that one more time I'll puke) when we assemble together we do so not only for fellowship but to honor our G-d. If the best you have is a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, then wear your best. If you have a good suit, wear that. It's not about show, it's about paying due respect to the Lord. If we ourselves are offerings to Him, then we must give our best. It is also a good witness in the community; again I think it shows respect and a certain seriousness in your commitment to G-d and your local church.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

There are some good points and someone needs to tie up the disconnected points, because while we share opinions this is not a relative issue, there is a right answer. I would again like to insert a subpoint that will hopefully give us an opportunity at a unified answer. Yes, worship is about God and not us. Yes, many have been turned away from the church, by the ability of richer people to dress to a higher standard. Yes, a relaxed dress standard lends itself to easier outreach. Yes, we all kinda expect leadership to dress the part. And here is my insertion: The church's divine assignment is to equip saints for the work of the church. It is OJT. Every company I ever worked for addressed personal appearance somewhere in their employee handbooks and the phrase "professional, clean appearance" was always in the text somewhere. There is something about our attire rthat eminds us of our responsibilities. Do you agree? I can't help but to notice the thread is speaking a lot to personal rights, but few seem to see their attire as a real corporate issue concerning responsibility to each other. In fact, we seem to be repelled by the idea of any loose standards other than modesty standards. I would like to hear some conversation addressing the subject from a maturing aspect. I think biblically we all agree a seeker or babe in Christ should come as they are, but at some point should they of their own volition or through mentoring raise the bar? Because now they are taking a rsponsibility in the church. Observation, in the work environment dress standards at least in the leadership is part of the environment of personal and corporate discipline.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

There are some good points and someone needs to tie up the disconnected points, because while we share opinions this is not a relative issue, there is a right answer. I would again like to insert a subpoint that will hopefully give us an opportunity at a unified answer. Yes, worship is about God and not us. Yes, many have been turned away from the church, by the ability of richer people to dress to a higher standard. Yes, a relaxed dress standard lends itself to easier outreach. Yes, we all kinda expect leadership to dress the part. And here is my insertion: The church's divine assignment is to equip saints for the work of the church. It is OJT. Every company I ever worked for addressed personal appearance somewhere in their employee handbooks and the phrase "professional, clean appearance" was always in the text somewhere. There is something about our attire rthat eminds us of our responsibilities. Do you agree? I can't help but to notice the thread is speaking a lot to personal rights, but few seem to see their attire as a real corporate issue concerning responsibility to each other. In fact, we seem to be repelled by the idea of any loose standards other than modesty standards. I would like to hear some conversation addressing the subject from a maturing aspect. I think biblically we all agree a seeker or babe in Christ should come as they are, but at some point should they of their own volition or through mentoring raise the bar? Because now they are taking a rsponsibility in the church. Observation, in the work environment dress standards at least in the leadership is part of the environment of personal and corporate discipline.

Since Jesus primarily addressed the poor and unlovable, I would think that dressing modestly and with humility would assist in making new Christians and poorer people feel comfortable in any given church. Dressing up only appeals to the person doing the dressing up and their peers. It would not be good to have a clubhouse mentality when it comes to attire because it can cause division between the wealthy and the poor. :thumbsup:

In counseling, as part of your observation you notice the care some one takes with his/her personal appearance. One of the first signs of depression or instability is giving little or no attention one's personal appearance. Often referred to as "letting one's self go" One of the first signs of an improvement in someone's improved outlook is a greater attention to how they are perceived in their personal appearance. One of the ways we show rebellion is refusing to held to any standard and that often begins with our appearance. Every generation attempts to rebell from the previous generation's standard. So wouldn't it seem reasonable to believe that if we are in the business of changing lives that it will lend itself to changed appearance... Then they came to Jesus, and saw the one who had been demon-possessed and had the legion, sitting and clothed and in his right mind. And they were afraid.Mark 5:15 NKJV

I have never asked anyone to change their dress or hairstyle or piercings, but I can't help but notice that when God gets a hold of people they voluntarily begin changing their physical appearance. My youth director was a new convert 5 years ago. He had two ear rings. I never made an issue of it, but months after his conversion they disapeared. Probably 2 years after their removal, I asked him about why he stopped wearing them. He said, "they were a statement of individuality/rebellion that I didn't need to make anymore."

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  335
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  06/05/1967

In Matt. 6:19-34 We are taught to lay up our treasures in heaven where neither moth nor rust do corrupt and where thieves do not break through nor steal.

And not to make high priorities what we shall eat,drink and wear, Is not the life more than meat,and the body than raiment?(for all these things do the gentiles seek).

We are also told not to love the world nor the things of this world. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh,and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the father, but is of the world.

Every one seems to agree on cleanliness, the question is do we want the focus on ourselves and our clothing or do we want it to be on the Gospel?

I find it hard to get all decked out and come across as humble as I desire to be, I hate to draw attention to myself, it feels icky...

In this thread we seem to be getting hung up on dressing well is a sense of worldly pride or showiness. What about dressing with reverence and respect for the holiness of what we are participating in. Allow me to use an eartlhy example to represent a spiritual truth. My favorite uncle Johnny dies. I am a blue collar type person I don't even own a suit or tie. When I get the news, I'm am asked to honor him by being a palbearer (carry the casket). I go out and purchase a suit, or at least a tie, dress shirt, and a pair of dress pants. Why because I don't want to stick out as the only palbearer without a suit...NO. Because I want to honor my uncle Johnny. If it was personal pride, I would say you wasted your money. If it was a sense of this occassion is worth the investment and sacrifice, there is a different experience at the funeral. At the funeral your wife and kids whisper, "Honey (dad) you look great I wish you would do that more. Your uncle would be proud of you"

• Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  640
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

If people can't dress respectably, they are showing disrespect for both Christ and His church. Church is not a fashion parade nor is it a beach party. So......be humble before the Lord.....not proud and flashy.

e

ERIC, i'm not arguing with the point you made above, i just tagged onto the coattails to jump in. the church i attend doesn't quibble with people about how they dress, however, being a man and facing a man's problem, i do think someone needs to inform some of the women that skin tight jeans, slacks, and tight blouses, no matter how professional they are, are not appropiate, they are distracting to some. (i have learned to just look away, for the most part) and can cause some newer christian men to stumble. why dress that way to come to God's house to praise him. what is their focus or intention or need that causes this? there are some that appear to be devout in their worship that wear short pants and flip flops, even in the winter to church. i realize the bible does not address this issue per se and i tell myself that it is my issue, based on how i was raised, but you would think a certain attitude of decorum would seep in somewhere. as Eric stated, respect for the Lord should be the determining factor. the pastor, deacons, and ushers should not have to be placed into a position of conflict, the worshipper should do this on their own. in the case of young, still at home, children, the parents should be the guiding factor until the child has the maturity to do it. but, as i said, perhaps it is just my upbringing, so i don't let it interfere with my worship.