IGNORED

Importance of Church

Times

Guest jckduboise

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to walk into any church building with any group of people and get exactly what we need? Encouragement, love, kindness, proper teaching....the list goes on and on.

But most of all wouldn't it have been nice for the "church" to remain as it was intended?

It isn't always but the one thing we can probably be sure of there are those in every congregation that gets it. And they are those who love the Lord, period. They aren't trying to impress anyone with how much time they volunteer for the church. They are not the long suffering martyr types who are always looking for that extra little bit of attention.

Regardless of who on earth is there. What I want to make sure of is that God is there.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

I want to add one more thing that is on my heart about this..

Church and fellowship is about Love..

We Love God and in spite of our differences we Love each other..

We want to be with each other because of Love... :24:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

It is not just individual verses of Scripture that attest to the importance of regular church attendence--there are many of those--we also have the testimony of the early Church, starting in Acts, which met the first day of the week (that's regular, by the way). As I have said before, the world thinks Christians should go to church, the only ones who think they dont have to are Christians themselves.

If church was so regular for people in acts, how did they go out and preach the word?

Speaking out of personal experience (I think Marnie did a good enough job of giving scriptural support):

When I'm doing the "lone ranger Christian" thing, my faith falters. I'm more easily stumped by false doctrines, and I'm more susceptible to depression and bitterness. Even though I say "I'll find my fellowship elsewhere," it hardly ever does happen, and when it does, it's not nearly as helpful or focused as it is with my church.

When I can be with my church family, those things are less of a problem, because there is a circle of support around me; there are teachers to help me with sticky theological issues (trustworthy people, inlcuding professors from my Bible College), and friends to encourage me, to keep me accountable, to celebrate with, worship with, mourn with, and learn with.

It always saddens me to hear of people who have been embittered by their experience with certain churches, churches who do not follow Christ wholeheartedly. That's not God's intention for how gatherings of saints should be. I'll always be grateful that God's blessed my with a wonderful church family, especially after hearing those testimonies.

I don't believe anyone is promoting the lone ranger thing, at least I'm not. But I do believe that "Sunday" church is a good place to develop fellowship so that you may have brethren to fellowship with throughout the week. When we are trying to bring unsaved people into the church, it is easier to get them to a home fellowship meeting than it is to a Sunday service. There is less of an intimidation factor in smaller groups and the atmosphere is more intimate. My family goes to church regularilly only because there are not many people to fellowship with in our community. When we lived in North Bay we had fellowship on almost a daily basis because we lived amongst one another. It was like a family. We had no need for organized religion. :24:

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  29
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Do you think it is important to go to church? I mean an organized body of believers. Most churches have services Sunday am, Sunday pm and Wednesday pm. Although a lot are eliminating Sunday and Wednesday pm. What are your thoughts?

No.

It isn't, get it through your heads. It is no more important than going to synagogue on the Sabbath.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  295
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  04/26/1932

It is not just individual verses of Scripture that attest to the importance of regular church attendence--there are many of those--we also have the testimony of the early Church, starting in Acts, which met the first day of the week (that's regular, by the way). As I have said before, the world thinks Christians should go to church, the only ones who think they dont have to are Christians themselves.

Scripture verses that direct us to "gather together" are referring to fellowshipping with other Believers not endorsing becoming involved in a religious organization. The "Church" referred to in Acts is the Body of Believers not a religious organization. IMO the religious organization is responsible for deminishing the effectiveness of the Body to carry out the Great Commission. If the Body today was as effective as the Body shown in Acts (3,000 people added in one day) there would hardly be an unsaved person on the face of the Earth. But instead, the church (religious organization) has failed to teach the Body what it needs to know and instead has placed the emphasis on the religious organization and learning all it traditions, doctrine, rules, regulations and teaching it to pay homage to all its icons and heirarchy.

Frankly, I don't care what the world thinks Christians should do.

Edited by His Ambassador

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

Scripture verses that direct us to "gather together" are referring to fellowshipping with other Believers not endorsing becoming involved in a religious organization. The "Church" referred to in Acts is the Body of Believers not a religious organization. IMO the religious organization is responsible for deminishing the effectiveness of the Body to carry out the Great Commission. If the Body today was as effective as the Body shown in Acts (3,000 people added in one day) there would hardly be an unsaved person on the face of the Earth. But instead, the church (religious organization) has failed to teach the Body what it needs to know and instead has placed the emphasis on the religious organization and learning all it traditions, doctrine, rules, regulations and teaching it to pay homage to all its icons and heirarchy.

Hello His Ambassador,

Now while at the present time I don't have a regular home church in which I can say this is my church. I do believe it is biblical that we need to be in church and I'm working towards being a part of a fellowship. If it is not biblical to assemble together then why are their so much instructions in the bible in how the house of G-d should be run such as the book of Timothy and Titus which tell what is to be taught in the church.

Also in Timothy we are told that in a great house their are vessels of honor and vessels of dishonor. And that is true in a great house you have vessels that have more honor than others such as the table where one might eat at and the utensils that are used opposed to say the coat rack that may be in the hallway.

So it is I believe in the church their are vessels of honor and dishonor that gather together. Their are those who seperate themselves from the world but do not have the spirit of G-d they are sensual as the bible says or worldly. Their are those who are false teachers who do it intentionally and even some who do it for gain. Their are those sincere and unsincere when in assemble with others whether you are in your own home or in a church building somewhere. It will always be like that no matter where the body of believers meet to carry out the great commission as you said.

I know from past experience that churches have their problems and always will as long as their is flesh and blood then it will always get in the way of the spiritual things in which we need in life. For Satan will sure see to it.

So the thing I see is that we have to choose what kind of vessel we personally will and want to be a vessel of honor or a vessel of dishonor.

Openly Curious

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

This is more than semantics...The authientic church is not a organization it is a organism. Perhaps you think you agree with that but I would argue you have not accepted that truth. A Christian is incomplete without the church assembly. Like an arm without the head. While you might be able to put an effective argument together that "not forsaking the assembly" is a fellowship issue, I would rather say show a NT verse outside the 4 gospels where the church is not the subject or at least the context of the address. IMO, most criticism about the church I hear resembles, the person that has failed at marriage personally commenting on the institution of marriage. I love the church, have been abused by the church, but stuck it out and chose to look at the model of the church protrayed in Scripture and I am going to endure. Learn how to forgive, reconcile, and lead in ministry to the body for the glory of Jesus. My faith aint about me, my church membership aint about me, its about service. Marriage aint always happy and neither is church life, but its the backbone of what God is doing. it is where he will bless and instruct and prepare us for ministry. That is how we love Him. At least that is what He told Peter....

Jesus then came and took the bread and gave it to them, and likewise the fish. This is now the third time Jesus showed Himself to His disciples after He was raised from the dead. So when they had eaten breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter,

Guest jckduboise

This is more than semantics...The authientic church is not a organization it is a organism. Perhaps you think you agree with that but I would argue you have not excepted that truth. A Christian is incomplete without the church assembly. Like an arm without the head. While you might be able to put an effective argument together that "not forsaking the assembly" is a fellowship issue, I would rather say show a NT verse outside the 4 gospels where the church is not the subject or at least the context of the address. IMO, most criticism about the church I hear resembles, the person that has failed at marriage personally commenting on the institution of marriage. I love the church, have been abused by the church, but stuck it out and chose to look at the model of the church protrayed in Scripture and I am going to endure. Learn how to forgive, reconcile, and lead in ministry to the body for the glory of Jesus. My faith aint about me, my church membership aint about me, its about service. Marriage aint always happy and neither is church life, but its the backbone of what God is doing. it is where he will bless and instruct and prepare us for ministry. That is how we love Him. At least that is what He told Peter....

Jesus then came and took the bread and gave it to them, and likewise the fish. This is now the third time Jesus showed Himself to His disciples after He was raised from the dead. So when they had eaten breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter,

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  636
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

It is not just individual verses of Scripture that attest to the importance of regular church attendence--there are many of those--we also have the testimony of the early Church, starting in Acts, which met the first day of the week (that's regular, by the way).

But not often.

'Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favour of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.' Acts 2:46-47 NIV

As I have said before, the world thinks Christians should go to church

The worldly do.

• Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

You know? Thta actually is a very interesting point that even the world knows that Christians are to be in church. I had never really thought about it, but since I started going, my parents have actually expected me to go and continuing going with a smile on my face because I claim that title of Baptist... Sure, the world has many messed up morals, but they are always watching Christians... notice how they like to call us hypocrites? They look for one mistake to destroy that testimony...

The world knows that Christians are not supposed to drink.. that Christians shouldnt' listen to certain kinds of music.. that they should read their bible and pray all the time... that they should go to church, but loving and kind... be a "bible thumper", a "Jesus freak" and a "religious zealot"... they expect that of us.... Even the world knows what is right for a Christian...

How is that many times we do not? We should be in church whenever the doors are open.... Is there any really good excuse as to why not to go to church?.. other than maybe not having a biblical church to go to, but one should pray about as God will answer a seeking heart... Can anyone give one good excuse as to not go? Why miss out on the preaching of God's Word, giving tithe(such a wonderful thing), a church family.. etc..

ugh.. gtg.. mom caling me out the door.. sorry folks...

Crystal