Fiosh

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

I used to work with a dyed-in-the-wool Catholic--I mean, he was as Catholic as it gets. But he liked to drink. He thought it was ok to get wasted on the weekend, then go to confession and everything was ok, every week. What's wrong with this picture?

How does a Catholic differentiate between a sin and a mortal sin, from the Bible?

He was very, very wrong in his understanding.

The distinction between mortal and venial sin is evident in Scripture ( I John 5: 16-17).

"Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent" Pope John Paul II

This distinction became part of the teaching Tradition of the early Church.

Catholics view Tradition, meaning the teaching of the early Church passed down from the Apostles, as sacred. We are not "sola Scriptura" believers.

Peace,

Fiosh

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

without a "firm purpose of amendment" you cannot seek forgiveness.

What in tarnation does this mean? :emot-hug:

(see my previous post for more detail)

...but basically it means that God is not mocked. When I ask forgiveness I must make a serious commitment to turn from my sin.

Okley dokely! :emot-hug:

Guest Biblicist

Hello again,

Goodness Fiosh, is this all you do? :thumbsup: You should take a break sometimes. It's not good for you to sit at your computer all the time. :36:

OK "firm purpose of amendment" is called repentance. Matthew 3:2 Repent for the kingdom of Heaven is at hand. From Strongs;

met-an-o-eh'-o - to change one's mind for better, heartily to amend with abhorrence of one's past sins. [interesting side note, this form seems to be most used in the Gosples and Acts.]

naw-kham' - to be sorry, console oneself, repent, regret, comfort, be comforted

shoob - to return, turn back

I could go on but you get the picture.

Also to clarify, for those who do not know Sola scriptura (Latin ablative, "by scripture alone") is the assertion that the Bible as God's written word is self-authenticating, clear (perspicuous) to the rational reader, its own interpreter ("Scripture interprets Scripture"), and sufficient of itself to be the only source of Christian doctrine.

I am very saddened and surprised that you do not believe Sola Scriptura, Fiosh. What other books are God-breathed, inerrant, and authoritative?

In His Mighty Grip,

Bib

:blink:

Edited by Biblicist

Hello again,

Goodness Fiosh, is this all you do? :thumbsup: You should take a break sometimes. It's not good for you to sit at your computer all the time. :laugh:

OK "firm purpose of amendment" is called repentance. Matthew 3:2 Repent for the kingdom of Heaven is at hand. From Strongs;

met-an-o-eh'-o - to change one's mind for better, heartily to amend with abhorrence of one's past sins. [interesting side note, this form seems to be most used in the Gosples and Acts.]

naw-kham' - to be sorry, console oneself, repent, regret, comfort, be comforted

shoob - to return, turn back

I could go on but you get the picture.

Also to clarify, for those who do not know Sola scriptura (Latin ablative, "by scripture alone") is the assertion that the Bible as God's written word is self-authenticating, clear (perspicuous) to the rational reader, its own interpreter ("Scripture interprets Scripture"), and sufficient of itself to be the only source of Christian doctrine.

I am very saddened and surprised that you do not believe Sola Scriptura, Fiosh. What other books are God-breathed, inerrant, and authoritative?

In His Mighty Grip,

Bib

:noidea:

I'm off from work for a few days, so I have to get my "fix" of WB while I have the time! :blink:

Re: Sola Scriptura

Don't be sad. As for books, only the Bible is the inerrant word of God. But I also believe that the Sacred Tradition passed down from the Apostles carries equal weight; and I believe in the teaching authority of the Church. These are Biblical concepts.

I Cor 11:2 I praise you because you remember me in everything and hold fast to the traditions, just as I handed them on to you.

2 Thess 2:15

Therefore, brothers, stand firm and hold fast to the traditions that you were taught, either by an oral statement or by a letter of ours.

2 Thess 3:6 We instruct you, brothers, in the name of (our) Lord Jesus Christ,to shun any brother who conducts himself in a disorderly way and not according to the tradition they received from us.

John 21:25 There are also many other things that Jesus did, but if these were to be described individually, I do not think the whole world would contain the books that would be written.

Mk 13:31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.

2 Tim 1:13-14 Take as your norm the sound words that you heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.

Guard this rich trust with the help of the holy Spirit that dwells within us.

2 Tim 2:2 And what you heard from me through many witnesses entrust to faithful people who will have the ability to teach others as well.

2 Pet 1:20 Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation,

2 Pet 3: 15-16

And consider the patience of our Lord as salvation, as our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, also wrote to you,

speaking of these things as he does in all his letters. In them there are some things hard to understand that the ignorant and unstable distort to their own destruction, just as they do the other scriptures

I Pet 1:25 but the word of the Lord remains forever." This is the word that has been proclaimed to you.

Rom 10: 17 Thus faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes through the word of Christ.

I Cor 15: 1-2

1 Now I am reminding you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you indeed received and in which you also stand.

Through it you are also being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you, unless you believed in vain.

Mk 16:15 He said to them, "Go into the whole world and proclaim the gospel to every creature.

Mt 23: 2-3 "The scribes and the Pharisees have taken their seat on the chair of Moses.

Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you, but do not follow their example.

John 16:13 But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to all truth.

John 14:26 The Advocate, the holy Spirit that the Father will send in my name--he will teach you everything and remind you of all that (I) told you.

Lk 10:16 Whoever listens to you listens to me. Whoever rejects you rejects me. And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me."

I Tim 3:15 But if I should be delayed, you should know how to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of truth.

I John 2: 27

Acts 15:28 'It is the decision of the holy Spirit and of us

Matt 28: 18-20 Then Jesus approached and said to them, "All power in heaven and on earth has been given to me.

Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit,

teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age."

Luke 10: 16 Whoever listens to you listens to me. Whoever rejects you rejects me. And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me."

You may have heard it said that Jesus didn't just give us a book, He gave us a Church. Through the teaching authority of the Church established by Jesus Christ, and with Him as the cornerstone, Scripture is opened up to us by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Peace,

Fiosh

:taped:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  828
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  12/28/1980

Fiosh you deserve some kind of award- Worthy Boards poster of the year or something.

thanks for your time and effort it wasn't wasted.

peace be with you

CSLewis

Fiosh you deserve some kind of award- Worthy Boards poster of the year or something.

:taped:

thanks for your time and effort it wasn't wasted.

peace be with you

CSLewis

You made me smile. :thumbsup:

Guest Biblicist
I'm off from work for a few days, so I have to get my "fix" of WB while I have the time! :wub:

Don't be sad. As for books, only the Bible is the inerrant word of God. But I also believe that the Sacred Tradition passed down from the Apostles carries equal weight; and I believe in the teaching authority of the Church. These are Biblical concepts.

I Cor 11:2 I praise you because you remember me in everything and hold fast to the traditions, just as I handed them on to you.

Therefore, brothers, stand firm and hold fast to the traditions that you were taught, either by an oral statement or by a letter of ours.

2 Thess 3:6 We instruct you, brothers, in the name of (our) Lord Jesus Christ,to shun any brother who conducts himself in a disorderly way and not according to the tradition they received from us.

John 21:25 There are also many other things that Jesus did, but if these were to be described individually, I do not think the whole world would contain the books that would be written.

2 Tim 1:13-14 Take as your norm the sound words that you heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.

2 Tim 2:2 And what you heard from me through many witnesses entrust to faithful people who will have the ability to teach others as well.

2 Pet 1:20 Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation,

And consider the patience of our Lord as salvation, as our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, also wrote to you,

speaking of these things as he does in all his letters. In them there are some things hard to understand that the ignorant and unstable distort to their own destruction, just as they do the other scriptures

I Pet 1:25 but the word of the Lord remains forever." This is the word that has been proclaimed to you.

Rom 10: 17 Thus faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes through the word of Christ.

1 Now I am reminding you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you indeed received and in which you also stand.

Through it you are also being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you, unless you believed in vain.

Mk 16:15 He said to them, "Go into the whole world and proclaim the gospel to every creature.

Mt 23: 2-3 "The scribes and the Pharisees have taken their seat on the chair of Moses.

Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you, but do not follow their example.

John 16:13 But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to all truth.

John 14:26 The Advocate, the holy Spirit that the Father will send in my name--he will teach you everything and remind you of all that (I) told you.

Lk 10:16 Whoever listens to you listens to me. Whoever rejects you rejects me. And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me."

I Tim 3:15 But if I should be delayed, you should know how to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of truth.

Matt 28: 18-20 Then Jesus approached and said to them, "All power in heaven and on earth has been given to me.

Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit,

teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age."

Luke 10: 16 Whoever listens to you listens to me. Whoever rejects you rejects me. And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me."

You may have heard it said that Jesus didn't just give us a book, He gave us a Church. Through the teaching authority of the Church established by Jesus Christ, and with Him as the cornerstone, Scripture is opened up to us by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Peace,

Fiosh

:)

I have never heard either term, Jesus gave us a book, or a church. I have heard only that Jesus gave us a relationship with God our Father. Jesus is the bridge to cross the great divide. God gave us the Book. B.I.B.L.E Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth. Jesus is the cornerstone of the church, the rock [petra- cliff or ledge] that the church is built on. Not petros which is Peter meaning a rock or stone.

Traditions are great as long as they don't contridict or detract from scripture. Everyone has traditions. You said "only the Bible is the inerrant word of God" that means that you do believe sola scriputra. Or at least partly. There is nothing wrong with that. :thumbsup:

CS Lewis is right, Hey MODS! is there an award for Worthy Boards poster of the year? :P I know what you mean about a WB fix. I am completely hooked on this site myself. I think I'm addicted. :wub: Is there a support group for that? Maybe a 12 step process?

Hello, My name is Biblicist and I am addicted to WB. I have been WB free for 30 days.

:wub: Hello Biblicist. . .

[i mean no disrespect to those who have real addictions]

My pastor teaches us that when you wish to end a habit you need to replace it with another one, particularly a bad habit with a good one. I stopped watching television to chat on Worthy.

In His Mighty Grip,

Bib

;)

Guest Biblicist
Holy water is a reminder of the water of Baptism. When I enter the Church I dip my finger tips in the water and make the Sign of the Cross, touching my forehead, shoulders and chest, while saying, "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit". It is an affirmation of my Baptismal promises to renounce Satan and live as a child of God.

It is a public statement of my repentance for sin, and my faith in the forgiveness offered by the Cross.

(edited by mod)

I like that sentiment. Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

I was wondering why some of your posts have been edited by the moderators? Not like it's serious but I'm just curious.

:thumbsup:

Bib

Holy water is a reminder of the water of Baptism. When I enter the Church I dip my finger tips in the water and make the Sign of the Cross, touching my forehead, shoulders and chest, while saying, "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit". It is an affirmation of my Baptismal promises to renounce Satan and live as a child of God.

It is a public statement of my repentance for sin, and my faith in the forgiveness offered by the Cross.

(edited by mod)

I like that sentiment. Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

I was wondering why some of your posts have been edited by the moderators? Not like it's serious but I'm just curious.

:thumbsup:

Bib

I was told that I cannot post links to Catholic websites or "cut & paste" from the Catechism of the Catholic Church. In this case, it may have been a passage from the Catechism though I'm not certain----it was a while ago.

f

I'm off from work for a few days, so I have to get my "fix" of WB while I have the time! ;)

Peace,

Fiosh

:wub:

I have never heard either term, Jesus gave us a book, or a church. I have heard only that Jesus gave us a relationship with God our Father. Jesus is the bridge to cross the great divide. God gave us the Book. B.I.B.L.E Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth. Jesus is the cornerstone of the church, the rock [petra- cliff or ledge] that the church is built on. Not petros which is Peter meaning a rock or stone.

Traditions are great as long as they don't contridict or detract from scripture. Everyone has traditions. You said "only the Bible is the inerrant word of God" that means that you do believe sola scriputra. Or at least partly. There is nothing wrong with that. :thumbsup:

CS Lewis is right, Hey MODS! is there an award for Worthy Boards poster of the year? :wub: I know what you mean about a WB fix. I am completely hooked on this site myself. I think I'm addicted. :24: Is there a support group for that? Maybe a 12 step process?

Hello, My name is Biblicist and I am addicted to WB. I have been WB free for 30 days.

:41: Hello Biblicist. . .

[i mean no disrespect to those who have real addictions]

My pastor teaches us that when you wish to end a habit you need to replace it with another one, particularly a bad habit with a good one. I stopped watching television to chat on Worthy.

In His Mighty Grip,

Bib

:)

Mornin' Bib,

You're up early!

RE: "Not petros which is Peter meaning a rock or stone."

That's a whole other debate for another day! ;):P But I can easilyl prove to you that Jesus meant what He said to Peter. However, I DO agree with you that Jesus IS the cornerstone:

Matt 21:42 Jesus said to them, "Did you never read in the scriptures: 'The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone; by the Lord has this been done, and it is wonderful in our eyes'?

RE: Traditions

The RCC uses the word Tradition (capital "T") to mean..."the oral teaching of the Apostles, conserved and handed down thru the apostlic succession of the Church. The theological, liturgical, disciplinary and devotional traditions (small "t") can be distinguished from this apostolic Tradition." Church Tradition does not conflict or contradict Sacred Scripture. It is like the glass thru which we view Scripture.

This is how the RCC develops doctrine. As an example, our understanding of Real Presence---Jesus present in the Holy Eucharist---comes from examining what is said in the Bible, in light of how it was understood and lived out in the Early Church.

RE: WB addiction

If you find a support group let me know!

"My name is Fiosh, and I am a WB addict!" :P

Peace,

Fiosh

:wub:

PS. That clown smilie is a little scary.