KeilanS

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

what worries me is the rate at which "new" churches are being born.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

Matthew 12

25. And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:

Lady,

Our baptist church baptises babies as a dedication service for their parents.

The parents promise to raise the child in a Christian way.

True baptism is not a dedication, and a true baptist would not baptise a baby. If you look up the historical and theological points associated with being "baptist" that is the defining doctrine - believer's baptism by immersion. In fact, during the reformation many of them lost their lives by drowning to stand up for this belief. Baptists run from calvinist to arminian but all baptise believers after salvation by immersion.

As to the verse.... this is why you cannot have a congregation or denomination merge with another in an effort to be "united" unless they agree on doctrine. Because if they don't they will fall apart at the seams.

Of course I have always wondered how the body of Christ has managed to remain, remain faithful and thrive with so many disagrements which are great enough to warrant divisions in the name of peace...and of course it all comes down to grace.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

what worries me is the rate at which "new" churches are being born.

Some of that comes from church politics, unfortunately. Though some denominations are also uniting due to realising the only thing dividing them is politics. For instance the PCA and the ARP (two bible believing presbyterian denominations who were split during the war for southern independance) are negotiating a merger.

Of course sometimes its all due to heretical teachings too.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  225
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  12/11/1960

I agree.

I was raised mostly Presbyterian with a little Babtist thrown in( my Grandmother and Grandaddy's church). Then aftre my parents death as a teenager attended Mostly Babtist with my older sister with some Assembly of God thrown in with my Aunt Darcy.The last church I attended for about 11 yrs.was Babtist. I now prefer an Interdenominational Church that my cousin has started about 25 miles from my house that I plan to attend regularly once I get my car fixed.

In my experience they are all about the same except the *sprinkling* way of baptism of the Presbyterians, and some are more ritualistic during services that others.In their beliefs of the cross and salvation they are all the same.

Which is why if I am asked what religion I am I say Christian :noidea:

Guest Biblicist

http://www.bpnews.net/bpcolumn.asp?ID=2359

This is an article from Dr. Albert Mohler.

The first-order doctrines Are the ones we all can/should agree on, the ones necessary for salvation. These cause us to have a unity in Christ.

The second-order doctrines are necessary for fellowship, if there is not agreement on those we cannot share a church. Still unified in Christ we are separated by these doctrines.

The third order doctrines are issues in which Christians may disagree but still have close fellowship together, within a congregation.

Dr. Mohler states that "Fundamentalism, on the other hand, tends toward the opposite error. The misjudgment of true fundamentalism is the belief that all disagreements concern first-order doctrines. Thus, third-order issues are raised to a first-order importance, and Christians are wrongly and harmfully divided."

:wub:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  132
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I really fail to see why denominations are NECESSAY - its like saying DIVISION is necessary. WHY ???

I know they exist but does that make it right or necessary ? Are we not supposed to have unity in Christ ???

• Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  963
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  07/10/1963

My question is does anyone else think most of these splits are meaningless? Aside from a few really crazy denominations, the majority of these denominations have all the same beliefs in areas that effect salvation.

So that would mean that 99% of the arguments between Christians are about things that are in the end, meaningless. The theory on how the earth was created comes to mind instantly, does it really effect salvation? Anyways, I don't really have a point here, does anyone else feel the same way I do?

Denominational splits, in my opinion, are dull, dumb boring needless, pointless, drab, dreary.... but they all have lovely buildings with beautiful stain glass windows and polished pews - some even have rich red carpet!!

A friend of mine got married recently, she wasn't very particular about denominational membership, she went looking for the prettiest church in town and a priest who was licensed to marry her :th_frusty: -you know what I mean ... :emot-wave: She isn't a christian, but listening to her, helped me see thru her eyes that alot of denominations are ceremonial, with traditions, customs and protocols that have a main focus - on different things. I really wanted to tell her that when the Lord returns, all the walls of all the churches are going to all fall down 2Peter 3:10-13, but I didn't :wub:

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

Well I suppose if you didn't have denominatiolism you would be heading towards ecumenicalism, which would be playing right into the serpent's plan. I prefer denominationalism as long as the message of salvation is the same and not watered down.

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  819
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

This is what Jesus prayed for us............

John 17:20-26 (King James Version)

20Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

21That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

22And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

23I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

24Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.

25O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me.

26And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.

I always love reading our Lord's prayers.... :wub:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  150
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

1900te name='Beta' date='Nov 14 2006, 01:57 AM' post='692839']

I really fail to see why denominations are NECESSAY - its like saying DIVISION is necessary. WHY ???

I know they exist but does that make it right or necessary ? Are we not supposed to have unity in Christ ???