• Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,465
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,773
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  129
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

Hello all,

As the editor of Worthy News I often read many stories which I find unbelieveable and oftentimes have to pray for a day or two to decide whether or not to publish the story.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest astralis

I thought marijuana was indigenous to the Americas?

I guess there are other uses and the article suggests that the Jews used cannibis.

I would really need much more information about this but medicines are derived from nature in some form and the article doesn't state that anyone was getting high - and if they did it didn't suggest that it was used to get high.

I have a feeling the euphoric properties of American cannibis didn't exist with the same potency as cannibis in the Old World.  I'll have to research this though.

We've been using cannibis for centuries in textiles - if it existed in Judaica back then why wouldn't they use the plant?  I think the writer in High Times is hoping, though,that it gives him a reason to abuse cannibis.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  444
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Mr Bennett suggests those anointed with the oils used by Jesus were "literally drenched in this potent mixture... Although most modern people choose to smoke or eat pot, when its active ingredients are transferred into an oil-based carrier, it can also be absorbed through the skin".

OH!!!! So THAT'S why Jesus rose from the dead!!!!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

Hey George,

You are  reading funny stories, of course Jesus didn't use pot, the Bible is very much against the use of drugs or mind altering substancis, there are lots of warnings in the OT.

No doubt about it, Jesus did not use them (at least my opinion)

God Bless,Angels :thumb:

I wouldn't be suprised if  they use cannibis in the Satanic church!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  444
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Fragrant Cane in Exodus 30:23

Question

Dear Rabbi,

What is the fragrant cane (qaneh besem, kaneh bosm, kineboisin, etc) mentioned in Exodus 30:23? I understand that calamus was a mistranslation. Is it the lemon grass that I've been reading about or is it cannabis? Finally, were there prohibitionist laws against cannabis in Jerusalem during the time of Jesus?

Respectfully,

Gene

Answer

Dear Gene,

Yehudah Felix has written three books in Hebrew that relate to your questions: Biblical Vegetation published in 1957, Nature in the Biblical land, published in 1992, and Spice, Forest and Ornament Plants, published in 1997. "Kinamon" or "kinman bosem" is definitely cinnamon. It was originally used for perfume and incense and only began to be used as a spice in the Middle Ages. The tree it comes from is the cinnamonum zeylanium, which can be found in India or China. Felix, in Biblical Vegetation, writes that the Biblical kind was from China. In Spice, Forest and Ornament Plants, he says it's the Indian kind. In any case it is cinnamon. Kneh Bosem is an expensive fragrance imported from far away lands. It's apparently a tropical kind of plant. In Nature in the Biblical land, Felix writes that Kneh Bosem might come from East Africa. Other possibilities are:

1) Cymbopogon Schoenanthus, found near the Sea of Galilee;

2) Cymbopogon Martini, found in India;

3) Kalamos eodes, found near the Sea of Galilee;

4) Acorus calamus, but the reeds are not hollow as a kaneh should be;

5) Andropogon nardus, a fragant reed from India.

In all my research, I found no reference whatsoever to cannabis, and I don't know whether it existed in Jerusalem at the time of Jesus and whether there were prohibitionist laws.

Sincerely,

Rabbi Diana Villa

diantami@netvision.net.il

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

What are your thoughts on this article?

Well George, I'm gonna be real honest since you asked.  Frankly I'm a little surprised that you're even posing this for debate, as if it "were debatable"?  This seemingly to me, is just another ploy (not by you of course, but by the writer) to put an "OK" stamp on mind altering drugs, and in doing so, condoning the use of them.  Seems to wreak of falseness IMO.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention....yod, I'm with you on the mental picture.    :cool2:

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Absolutely not! God's Word is very anti sorcery. We know that sort of thing existed, just look at Simon the sorcerer. Jesus, the GREAT I AM, who created everything - did not need assistance from any plant to work his miracles! How did pot help raise Lazarus from the 3 day dead? How did pot help a man that was blind from birth to see? Or stop an issue of blood from a woman? Or heal leprosy? Or help a cripple man walk? Or help Jesus to walk on water? Or calm the sea? Or help Jesus to raise from the dead and ascend to heaven? Or to continue to change the hearts and lives of followers TO THIS DAY?

HOGWASH!  

:angry:

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,465
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,773
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  129
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

Isaiah 5:20  Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!