tsth

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

John 15:10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.

abide:

to remain,

abide

in reference to place

to sojourn, tarry

not to depart 1a

to continue to be present 1a

to be held, kept, continually

in reference to time

to continue to be, not to perish, to last, endure 1b

of persons, to survive, live

in reference to state or condition

to remain as one, not to become another or different

to wait for, await one

What does this say to you?

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest caffeineyellow5

I beleive this to be saying that when we obey His Word, we will love the things He loves. We will abide in His love in the sense that our prayers will answered, because there is no hinderances, we will pray in His will, we will share in His mind and will and heart, we will be engulfed into the focuses of His will, we will be in true and complete union if we would keep His commandments. We will dwell in the fullness of Joy, peace, and God's spiritual blessings on our lives, hearts and minds.

I like what IVP says about this section of Scripture and the difference between friends and slaves, "Jesus says his friends are those who obey him (v. 14). This is not a definition of friendship itself, but it follows in this instance given who Jesus is; just as love for the Father and the Son involves obedience, so does friendship. All this talk about obedience seems more fitting for a master-slave relationship, but Jesus no longer calls them slaves (douloi) but friends (v. 15). This does not mean that the relation of slave is not also appropriate for Jesus' disciples (cf. 13:16; 15:20). Paul refers to himself as a slave (doulos) five times, though he also notes that in some senses the Christian is no longer a slave (Gal 4:7). Even the worshipers in the heavenly city at the end, who will reign for ever and ever, are called God's slaves (Rev 22:3, 6). So although the idea of slave is valid, it is limited. Jesus' point here is intimacy."

He laid down His life for us and we are to lay down our lives as a living sacrifice (Rom 12:1-2) to and for Him. He proved His love to us at calvary and we are to prove our love with a seperated and consecrated life to Him.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26

Hi,

If is conditional based upon our obediance. All the promises of God are based upon "if". God does not force us to obey him or otherwise "if" would not be a factor. Here are some scriptures to ponder.

Joh 14:15 If you love Me, keep My commandments.

1Jo 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments, and His commandments are not burdensome.

1Jo 2:3 And by this we know that we have known Him, if we keep His commandments.

1Jo 2:4 He who says, I have known Him, and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

So my question is those that say they are christians yet refuse to obey Jesus are they really abiding in God's love.

Jesus said in another place "why do you call me Lord if you do not what I say?"

How can we say we know God IF we do not obey him?

1Jo 2:15 Do not love the world, nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him,

1Jo 2:16 because all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

1Jo 2:17 And the world passes away, and the lust of it, but he who does the will of God abides forever.

So if we say we Love God we must also say we obey him or we are liars.

Thanks and God bless,

John 15:10  If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.

abide:

to remain,

abide

in reference to place

to sojourn, tarry

not to depart 1a

in reference to time

to wait for, await one

What does this say to you?

In His Love,

Suzanne

abide:

to remain,

abide

in reference to place

to sojourn, tarry

not to depart 1a

in reference to time

to wait for, await one

Would this be referring to God continuing to love you? Does God hate the wicked? How do you define wicked?

Just some questions to ponder.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  891
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

To me this means, that if ( I make the choice to...) I am in fellowship with Him as I should be then no matter what happens - good or bad all will be well and I will have the desire to please Him (and do those things which I ought to) rather than self and man.

Sorry no great theological stuff here just my own personal experience from my walk with Christ.

F1

I'm just thinkin out loud here, and I'm really pondering "wickedness"? What is it? How do we think about it? We don't talk about that much do we? Is there a way to deal with it? What exactly is it? Does God hate the wicked? What's the difference between a wicked person and a sinner? Is there a difference? What are we supposed to think about it? Anybody? I'd love to hear your comments. I've studied it a little, but I'd like to know your thoughts on it?

Also, does God hate?

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

Proverbs 16

16These six things the LORD hates,

Yes, seven are an abomination to Him:

17A proud look,

A lying tongue,

Hands that shed innocent blood,

18A heart that devises wicked plans,

Feet that are swift in running to evil,

19A false witness who speaks lies,

And one who sows discord among brethren.

We are all sinners but some hate sin while others love sin. I believe one is in a state of wickedness when they love sin. I believe God hates those who love sin. But through Jesus offers forgiveness to those who hate sin.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

• Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

Even Paul said that the thing he wished NOT to do, he did. He certainly hated sin, but even in my own life, I find myself sometimes doing things that are not right and I hate it like nothing I've ever seen afterwards. We don't continue in sin unrepentantly, but when we do sin (and not continually) we need to seek God and have a repentant attitude. Hope that helps!

I believe God hates those who love sin. But through Jesus offers forgiveness to those who hate sin.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

I would ponder then, that this is where the "free-will issue" would be met? The Holy Spirit convicts, but our free-will would afford us to choose which we like better? Would that be then what the tree of life did, gave us the distinction/knowledge between the two to choose from once we hear the the Truth, that is in essence the "freedom" factor, that is given to us by the Holy Spirit? We are born knowing sin/sin-nature, and the Holy Spirit gives us conviction upon hearing/receiving the Word, which is able to save us?

Again, just thinkin out loud here, and chasin a few rabbits. :t2:

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  520
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/07/1974

If you

It is two of the most important words in the Bible. Here are a few quotes with "IF" (or IF YOU) in them, starting with the OT.

Deuteronomy 28:15, 20 (ESV)

But if you will not obey the voice of the LORD your God or be careful to do all his commandments and his statutes that I command you today, then all these curses shall come upon you and overtake you