• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  278
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/22/1962

Hey everyone,

So what is marriage anyway? What is a good biblical understanding and definition?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  83
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  07/11/1986

Hey everyone,

So what is marriage anyway? What is a good biblical understanding and definition?

the vows should tell us everything we need to know

"...to love and to cherish

for better or worse

in sickness and in health

till death do you part"

I think it's pretty straightfoward :laugh:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  305
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  11/12/1950

Ephesians 5.

Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

Proverbs 5:19

A loving doe, a graceful deer

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  1,980
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

Hey everyone,

I think the best place to start inquiry into this question is in Genesis, at the beginning.

Genesis 1:

21 So the LORD God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man's ribs and closed up the place with flesh. 22 Then the LORD God made a woman (ishshah) from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.

23 The man said,

"This is now bone of my bones

and flesh of my flesh;

she shall be called 'woman, (ishshah) '

for she was taken out of man (ish)."

24 For this reason a man (ish) will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife (ishshah), and they will become one flesh.

A basic definition then is that marriage is the union of two. The very reason why a man shall unite to his woman is because woman (Hebrew, ishshah meaning, 'female') was taken out of man (Hebrew, ish meaning, 'male'). The two can become one because ishshah was taken out ish since adam (collective noun, Genesis 1:27, hence refered to by the plural pronoun 'them') was made male (Hebrew, zakar) and female (Hebrew, neqebah).

Genesis 1:27

So God created man (adam) in his own image,

in the image of God he created him;

male (zakar) and female (nequebah) he created them.

Jesus, in Matthew 19:4 quotes the second clause of Genesis 1:27 and then couples it with Genesis 2:24 in v.5! Marriage then by God's design is union of adam made male and female. The two become one then because he made them man (male) and woman (female).

1When Jesus had finished saying these things, he left Galilee and went into the region of Judea to the other side of the Jordan. 2Large crowds followed him, and he healed them there.

3Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?"

4"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,' 5and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'? 6So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

Hey everyone,

It is a union of two one woman and one man coming together in holy and sacred union with one another. And what God has joined together let no man put asunder. For they are no more twain but one flesh.

OC

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

I think it is a good question and there have been good answers written above and I agree with them all.

However I will add that marriage is also about providing a stable unchanging home for producing a family and raising children in Christ, asset inheritance, joining families together , and building a life together both legally and personally, that has the added benefit of companionship, when two become one it is about all of these things. In the time of Jesus it was very much a legal entity, with a specific Jewish ceremony which demarcated its starting point, Jesus attended these weddings and used several parables including the marriage ceremony.

The idea of romantic love being the main and only reason for marriage is a relatively recent idea.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,157
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  07/25/1982

Hey everyone,

the vows should tell us everything we need to know

"...to love and to cherish

for better or worse

in sickness and in health

till death do you part"

I think it's pretty straightfoward :whistling:

amen...and even though i agree with those words..my husband and i wrote our own vows. Not because we disagree with the traditional vows but because we wanted something that came from our heart. It is pretty straightforward...

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  37
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

God is great all the time and in every way.

Marriage is a Covenant

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  278
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  02/22/1962

Ok, marriage is a covenant; but what is a covenant?

We've also had several good scriptures quoted, especially about husband and wife becoming one flesh. What does "one flesh" mean? This was actually a culturally specific, idiomatic phrase that meant "family". Unfortunately it's often translated to become like one person. I don't know about other couples, but my wife and I are not like "one person" in any way, spiritually, emotionally, mentally, or physically (even when we're our most intimate). Please don't misunderstand me, in no way do I wish to demean the importance of unity in marriage. I'm just pointing out the ancient near-eastern cultural meaning of the the phrase "one flesh;" it meant "to become family". If you are of my "flesh" you are part of my family.

When a man and woman leave their immediate families and unite in marriage, they create a new family, the most basic unit of society. So if satan can destroy families, he destroys society!