IreneM

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

I get what tsth's is saying. We had a long debate on here years ago about whether it's the media herding and corrupting society or if it's merely a reflection of society. I think it's both. I think they both feed off one another.

In my lifetime I've seen tv go from where the bellybutton couldn't be shown (I dream of Genie) to where now they show thongs. Lucy and Ricky (I Love Lucy) and Rob and Laura (The Dick Van Dyke Show) didn't even sleep in the same bed, and they were married! They were always shown in twin beds, if you got a look at the bedroom at all.

It's a conditioning effect and the media is as much to blame as our neighbors down the street that cook meth, or the kids that run amok with spray paint cans, or the radio blaring obscene rap lyrics, or the actual news channels that show us the real events that happened all day long, every day. It's abhorent, and it's getting worse.

We need to raise our children to be different than the world. To live in it, but to remain holy, set aside for Christ. We are to be the salt of the earth, the light shining on the hill. Look at all the parents that homeschool. They broke from the norm. So can Christians.

My opinion.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Sorry IreneM - looks like we were posting at the same time. :laugh:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  700
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

tis ok it happens :laugh:

Irene M

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

This reminds me, at a vegan board I post at, someone said that the beauty of Christianity is that it can be used to justify absolutely anything. :)

well I know my seven year old is not watching these things and yet she thinks she is 'sexy' where does it come from... a little dinosaur movie geared to even younger children she saw. It was a brief 2 sec statement. She learns more in school than anywhere else and in more ways than one...!!!

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

We can't expect the world and its government to do anything but get worse. We cannot expect them to safeguard our children from their evil. The world is not of God, but of the Evil one. It is our job to keep ourselves 'unspotted from the world' and raise our children in the 'nurture and admonision of the Lord'. Why do we expect the enemy to do our work for us.

When will we believe what God says?

1john 2:14 I have written unto you, fathers, because you have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the wicked one.

2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

2:17 And the world passes away, and the lust thereof: but he that does the will of God abides for ever.

Jas 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

When we choose the things of the world over the things of God we show God that we love them more than God. God is no fool. He knows that how we spend our time is the evidence of where our heart is. It just seems that man doesn't understand these things.

The real issue here seems to be why so many 'professing christians' know nothing of these things. Why they have no concept of the 'change of heart' that takes place at conversion, when Jesus come to 'dwell in the heart' and implants the 'love of God' for all holiness and righteousness, why they have no concept of the fact that they are 'crucified to the world', and are now filled with the 'Spirit of holiness' to lead them into all holiness.

2cor 5:14 For the love of Christ constrains us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:

5:15 And that he died for all, that they who live (born again believers) should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again...........

5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

5:18 And all things are of God, who has reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;

To believe in Christ means to believe His word. This is His word. Why do so few 'believers' believe His word?

Is there more than one Christ, more than one Gospel? If so then it is another christ, an 'anti-christ', and 'another gospel', the gospel of 'anti-christ'. Christ is not divided, He has not changed. He is the 'image of God, all the 'fullness of the Godhead' and His indwelling presence as 'Lord and Master' recreates the believer into the 'Image of God' once again, making them holy and leading them to walk in holiness. This is the 'real good news', anything short of this is not good news, but very 'bad news' about an impotent christ, a wishy washy christ, a worthless christ, an 'anti-christ'.

No need to look for anti-christ out there, he is here, right in our midst.

God bless,

Dennis

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  462
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/07/1981

The issue isn't the TV or when it was invented or the Internet or any other invention of the world. It is the content, whether it is of the world or of God.

I know that this is a difficult point to grasp, but God's true children have been crucified to the world. They love the things of God, hunger for the things of God, can't get enough of the things of God, rejoice always in the things of God. They have been changed, all things have been made new and they seek after that which they enjoy. The things of the world do not satisfy them anymore. They are like childish toys that they put away for they have something infinitely better infinitely more satisfying.

Spiritual folk love the things of the Spirit, and find the things of the world extremely boring. You see this is real Christianity, and not just religious theory and empty belief. The 'new heart' pants after God and the things of God and finds its pleasure in them.

Those in the flesh have no concept of these things. Their religion is made up forms and rituals, not a living immersion in the love and enjoyment of God. This is not opinion, but the heart of Christianity and the testimony of Scripture.

God bless,

Dennis

If this line of thinking is true, then how does one reconcile it with Paul's statement about "becoming all things to all men" or 1 Peter 3:15? To immerse oneself in the love and enjoyment of God necessarily involves using what is available to us, at times even in this Earthly realm...

Dear Artemus,

Surely you don't mean to imply that it is ok to use fleshly appealing things, to reach men? That is how your post is coming across. I don't think Paul OR God would use anything but purity and goodness, to be able to reach men. And certainly not the things of this world or the prince of this world to do so.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  462
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/07/1981

Well, to put in the the "short version" that is exactly what I am implying...not every process on this planet is "fleshly, secular," etc. which implies that it is wrong...if that is the case, what are we doing posting on this Thread on the Internet, then?...not to mention the billion-dollar CCM industry...but I digress...

This has been stated before, I am sure, but as Christians we are not called to condone the world, but neither are we called to condemn it...we are simply called to transform it, just as Christ did while He walked this planet. This process of transformation begins by reaching people where they're at. And before someone thinks so, no, I am not using this line of thought as an "excuse" to sin, as it were. To get back to the OP, if what one is watching/listening to etc. causes a brother or sister in Christ to stumble, the activity should cease. It's as simple as that. To interpret the "in, not of" standpoint as guarding the gates of Heaven, keeping the "riff-raff" out is to misappropriate Scripture from its original intent.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  77
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

We can't expect the world and its government to do anything but get worse. We cannot expect them to safeguard our children from their evil. The world is not of God, but of the Evil one. It is our job to keep ourselves 'unspotted from the world' and raise our children in the 'nurture and admonision of the Lord'. Why do we expect the enemy to do our work for us.

When will we believe what God says?

1john 2:14 I have written unto you, fathers, because you have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the wicked one.

2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

2:17 And the world passes away, and the lust thereof: but he that does the will of God abides for ever.

Jas 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

When we choose the things of the world over the things of God we show God that we love them more than God. God is no fool. He knows that how we spend our time is the evidence of where our heart is. It just seems that man doesn't understand these things.

The real issue here seems to be why so many 'professing christians' know nothing of these things. Why they have no concept of the 'change of heart' that takes place at conversion, when Jesus come to 'dwell in the heart' and implants the 'love of God' for all holiness and righteousness, why they have no concept of the fact that they are 'crucified to the world', and are now filled with the 'Spirit of holiness' to lead them into all holiness.

2cor 5:14 For the love of Christ constrains us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:

5:15 And that he died for all, that they who live (born again believers) should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again...........

5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

5:18 And all things are of God, who has reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;

To believe in Christ means to believe His word. This is His word. Why do so few 'believers' believe His word?

Is there more than one Christ, more than one Gospel? If so then it is another christ, an 'anti-christ', and 'another gospel', the gospel of 'anti-christ'. Christ is not divided, He has not changed. He is the 'image of God, all the 'fullness of the Godhead' and His indwelling presence as 'Lord and Master' recreates the believer into the 'Image of God' once again, making them holy and leading them to walk in holiness. This is the 'real good news', anything short of this is not good news, but very 'bad news' about an impotent christ, a wishy washy christ, a worthless christ, an 'anti-christ'.

No need to look for anti-christ out there, he is here, right in our midst.

God bless,

Dennis

Amen Dennis :th_frusty:

I often ask myself "Do I tremble at God's Holy word?". And often, ashamedly, I don't.

Irene this has been a great post and it is still going :)

As John the Baptist said to his disciples in John 3:30 "He must increase, but I must decrease." And that is what it is all about for me - less of me and MORE of HIM.

Glory to the KING of kings and LORD of lords.

Blessings

Estie

:wub:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

Shalom Y'all!

WOW, I take a break from Worthy and come back to the same ol' stuff! :)

Hey Marn, I hear where you are coming from and FWIW, this time I agree with you! Can you believe it???? :wub:

Marnie said it best... WHO decides what is "enough" for everyone? You? Me? IOW, YOU answer to the L-rd for what YOU do and watch and let your children watch, you are not in a position to make it applicable for anyone else. It is not "sin", it is conviction.

Artemus, don't get frustrated, your posts are making an impact!

Personally, I love all the crime shows, CSI (all 3), Law and Order, Numbers etc. My children aren't allowed to watch them, but it's not sin for me to. If you believe it is, you are wrong. :th_frusty::D So there! :D

• Topic Count:  146
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,308
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

VICKILYNN!!!!!!!!!!!! I MISSED YOU!!!!! :24:

By the way, I was offline too, for about 2 months! :24: