IreneM

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

Arguing for or against popular culture is like putting up a tent in a hurricane.

And believing that God CAN PROVIDE STRENGTH and VICTORY EVEN FOR A TENT IN A HURRICANE, is a part of the Christian walk. This IS faith.

Matthew 7:24 "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.

In His Love,

Suzanne

Actually what Jesus is referring to in these verses is wisdom; a wise person puts Jesus' words into practice. If we build our lives on His Word, our lives will withstand any storm of life. It is the storms of life that reveal the quality of our lives. I'm not sure what your point was in quoting that verse, Suzanne. How does that relate to what a believer may or may not watch on TV?

Also, you didn't answer the questions I posed you. Where do you draw the line? I mean, are you arbitrarily giving your opinion on this? If so, I am certainly OK with that. However, since we all have opinions, differing opinions are just as valid as yours and to be dogmatic over an opinion, or to assume that an opinion carries the same weight as the Word is just wrong.

Maybe I can help. Since the Bible doesn't address TV or movies and the like, the best we can do is to extrapolate an application from teachings on "similar" subjects, like meat offered to idols or circumcision. What does the Bible say about those very clearly cultural issues?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

Arguing for or against popular culture is like putting up a tent in a hurricane.

And believing that God CAN PROVIDE STRENGTH and VICTORY EVEN FOR A TENT IN A HURRICANE, is a part of the Christian walk. This IS faith.

Matthew 7:24 "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.

In His Love,

Suzanne

from damo1

high i would also like to know what you mean hear ? and if you read what i shared i would also like to know is this wrong if we are to only go on gods word my question to you is how are christian parents to do this in the real world ? read what i shared as i have friends hear that are very open to this topic what we are sharing in are we going against gods word for using knowledge was my child to stand another beating ? and as it says in gods word turn the other cheeck i am not attacking you hear i am only wanting to know we all have diffrent oppinions on this subject and like most i am open with my child and he is open with me this is the relationship i have with my son and we are not glued to the tv al day we do other things and i make sure my son gets all my attention and is not left in front of the tv to entertain him and baby sit him i am also teaching him how to play the guitar as i play the guitar

its also heart braking when you know pastors and see what goes on in the childrens lives and i know pastors do there best just like i am doing my best with my child are we to shield them for ever ?

from damo1

• Topic Count:  140
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,846
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  01/05/1987

How much of what you watch on TV actually affects you? I mean really...if you see someone shoot someone on television, do you want to go out and shoot someone yourself? If you see an ad for phone sex, do you run to the phone? Does seeing someone having an affair on TV make you chuck your marriage and sleep with the neighbor? Does drug use on TV make you want to shoot up or smoke crack?

I doubt it.

I think we can watch certain things and just dismiss them. They really don't affect us. Why throw out the baby with the bath water? Like Marnie said, you can be watching the Brady Bunch, and a racy commercial will come on - do you scream and shield your eyes? If you're not the type of person that will be taken in by such things, why go nuts about it?

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

Quite right, Kari, I switch channels when the programme is offensive to me. It is not a case of whether God cares or not. If the rating says that the programme has bad language or nude scenes or in your face sex, I dont watch in the first place. When steamy commercials come on, the remote gets the flick. Watching raunchy or violent films for pleasure and drooling over them doesn't appeal to me. I've been there and done that.

I watch some progs which have a bit of blood and gore in them, such as CSI. SVU. and phorensic vidoes, because none of them have foul language or graphic sex scenes. To it's just a few minutes of relaxing, after spending 4 to 6 hrs a day on worthy and other christian web sites. I also watch a lot of docos and world news. If people like to think it is wrong.....then don't do it, but don't give me a sermon about it.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  131
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

How much of what you watch on TV actually affects you? I mean really...if you see someone shoot someone on television, do you want to go out and shoot someone yourself? If you see an ad for phone sex, do you run to the phone? Does seeing someone having an affair on TV make you chuck your marriage and sleep with the neighbor? Does drug use on TV make you want to shoot up or smoke crack?

I doubt it.

I think we can watch certain things and just dismiss them. They really don't affect us. Why throw out the baby with the bath water? Like Marnie said, you can be watching the Brady Bunch, and a racy commercial will come on - do you scream and shield your eyes? If you're not the type of person that will be taken in by such things, why go nuts about it?

I agree entirely Kari; for me it would be the difference between living life in fear or living it in love.

• Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

Sorry guys, I guess I'm barking up the wrong tree. It just seems obvious to me, that our media and entertainment industry has had a devastating effect upon this country. I guess I stand alone on this.

Frankly, I'm tired and not up to the fight. I'll just leave the above as my parting statement and recognize that you're entitled to your opinions as well.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,263
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  02/17/1961

Sorry guys, I guess I'm barking up the wrong tree. It just seems obvious to me, that our media and entertainment industry has had a devastating effect upon this country. I guess I stand alone on this.

Frankly, I'm tired and not up to the fight. I'll just leave the above as my parting statement and recognize that you're entitled to your opinions as well.

In His Love,

Suzanne

Actually the film and tv industry isn't the problem. THe problem is the government school system. when their learning all about all kinds of sex, learning from their teachers that its ok to be homosexual, and that truth is relevant.

Schools are a bigger problem than any tv show.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Your not totally alone Suzanne, just part of the remnant;

Human opinions are just that, human opinions, full of human wisdon which is foolishness with God. God has given us His word and the Holy Spirit to apply it to all that we do. He will lead us into all righteousness and holiness if we ask him and let Him lead us. The Christian hears His voice and follows Him.

Pr 14:12 There is a way which seems right to a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

So much for human opinions.

Here is how we make decisions:

Php 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

He leads us past our own understanding:

4:7 And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

He shows us what is acceptable and what is not:

4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

God has given us a 'WORK' (dirty word today) to do:

2co 7:1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

2ti 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knows those that are his. And, Let every one that names the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

It is pretty tough to cleanse ourselves and depart from iniguity while partaking of it in any form. This would constitute acceptance of it, rather than departing from it.

The true Christian is 'dead to the world', has been 'crucified' to the world, and now loves God and holiness, and hates the unholy things of the world. This is the change that takes place in the 'New Birth'.

God Bless and keep,

Dennis

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  462
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/07/1981

In His Love,

Suzanne

Actually the film and tv industry isn't the problem. THe problem is the government school system. when their learning all about all kinds of sex, learning from their teachers that its ok to be homosexual, and that truth is relevant.

Schools are a bigger problem than any tv show.

So, I'm going to go with, it's neither the media nor the government, it's humankind's sin nature, plain and simple. The fact is, as C.S. Lewis has said, there is a "world behind the world" and we're at war daily...now, those who (hopefully) know me and my views pretty well around Worthy know that I am not at all one to subscribe to any amount of Emotionalism or "feelings-based" faith...but the bottom line is that our struggle is not against flesh and blood...

• Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

Dear Dennis,

Thank you so very much for the cool drink of "Water"! It was certainly refreshing, and much needed!!!!

Dear Artimus,

But, I am talking about the call of Christians, to come out and be set apart from things that are not good for us, and sometimes, I can't figure out why we can't make decisions to be able to discern good from evil on those things that seem so obvious. (again, why on earth is "Desparate Housewives" a top show today, if 85% of adult Americans are claiming to be Christians? Surely it's not the 15% unbelievers that are keeping this show on top ratings?)

Hebrews 5:14 But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.

In His Love,

Suzanne