• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

Thank you for the explanation:

"

The week of "Sukkot" is a week where families build a "shelter" or SUKKAH in Hebrew, and all but live in it for the week.

A sukkah is a simple cubic frame covered with branches and leaves. There are rules to building it. For instance, you must be able to see the stars through the roof (says something about the type of climate they must have had at the time :whistling:

Would every family build a tent or something in their back yard or would it be be big tents where everybody come together?

The festival of Sukkot should not be confused with the festival of Passover. Both festivals deal with the said above.

They do sound sort of alike but different at the same time.

Do they eat different during the Passover and Sukkot feasts?

Angels

A Sukka is NOT a tent. The roof has to be see-through! (if you go by the rules of course)

Families build a Sukka, as it's convenient, you know, just put it together in the back yard and your fixed for the week.

A community would build a central Sukka, regardless of what families do. The whole week is celebrated, evening by evening with various, get togethers.

Food is usually regular except it's eaten in the Sukka rather than indoors.

Passover one is not supposed to eat Hametz, but that is in another topic so I won't go into it here.

If I understand this right ,you don't sleep in it but you get together in the open roofed tents to celebrate and fellowship?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,055
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/12/1944

A Sukka is NOT a tent. The roof has to be see-through! (if you go by the rules of course)

Families build a Sukka, as it's convenient, you know, just put it together in the back yard and your fixed for the week.

A community would build a central Sukka, regardless of what families do. The whole week is celebrated, evening by evening with various, get togethers.

Food is usually regular except it's eaten in the Sukka rather than indoors.

Passover one is not supposed to eat Hametz, but that is in another topic so I won't go into it here.

If I understand this right ,you don't sleep in it but you get together in the open roofed tents to celebrate and fellowship?

Well, people do go overboard with it and practically live there for the week. I'm not sure if this is a requirement by the law or just "playing safe"

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

Hello,

Just a few thoughts of mine to add in here as I like to learn about Jewish traditions as it helps me to see deeper into the things of Christ.

The others have given some good answers or insights for you already so I'll just give you a little with my notes as I find this a fascinating feast also.

This feast was known as the "Feasts of Tabernacles" which was also known as "Booths or Ingathering" and in the Hebrew it was known as "sukkot." There are scriptural references found regarding this feast which I will post for your reading.

Leviticus 23:33-43--"And the Lord said unto Moses, saying. Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, The fifteenth day of this seventh month shall be the feast of tabernacles for seven days unto the Lord. On the first day shall be an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein. Seven days ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the Lord on the eighth day shall be an holy convocation unto you" and ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the Lord: it is a solemn assembly and ye shall do no servile work therein. (skipping down to verse #39 in the text)

Also in the fifteenth day of the seventh month when ye have gathered in the fruit of the land ye shall keep a feast unto the Lord seven days on the eighth day shall be a sabbath.

** And ye shall take you on the first day the boughs of goodly trees branches of palm trees and the boughs of thick trees and willows of the brook and ye shall rejoice before the Lord your God seven days.**And ye shall keep it a feast unto the Lord seven days in the year. It shall be a statute for ever in your generations ye shall celebrate it in the seventh month. Ye shall dwell in booths seven days all that are Israelites born shall dwell in booths That your generations may know that I made the children of Israel to dwell in booths when I brought them out of the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God."

Numbers 29:12-38--(I want type this passage out as it's to lenghty hope you will go back and read it though)

Deuteronomy 16:13-17--"Thou shalt observe the feast of tabernacles seven days after that thou hast gathered in thy corn and thy wine. And thous shalt rejoice in thy feast thou and thy son and thy daughter and thy manservant and thy maidservant and the Levite the stranger and the fatherless and the widow that are within thy gates. Seven days shalt thou keep a solemn feast unto the Lord thy God in the place which the Lord shall choose because the Lord thy God shall bless thee in all thine increase and in all the works of thine hands therefore thou shalt surely rejoice. Three times a year shall all thy males appear before the Lord thy God in the place which he shall choose in the feast of unleavened bread and in the feast of weeks and in the feast of tabernacles and they shall not appear before the Lord empty. Every man shall give as he is able according to the blessing of the Lord thy God which he hath given thee."

Now as you can see that the scriptures tells us about this feast "sukkot." It tells us the time of year it was to be celebrated which was on the 15--21st during the 7th month of the year and there was also an 8th day added to it as this 8th day was sort of the height to all of the feasts that was going on around this time. The time of year where this was going on was during the months of September/October and on the Jewish calendar it would be during the month of "Tishri"

The whole purpose of "sukkot" was first to celebrate and look back on what God Himself had done for the Hebrew children as God delivered them with a strong hand out of slavery and redeemed them and God had protected them all throughout the time they were journeying in the wilderness (Leviticus 23:43) and the second thing and reason for this celebration and looking back where they came from was for them to rejoice and celebrate in the ingathering of the harvest as it was brought in from the fields (Leviticus 23:39)

There was also a prophetic reason as "sukkot" was a foreshadow looking ahead to the future when there will be peace and prosperity during the millenial reign of Christ.

Zechariah 14:16--"And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the Lord of hosts and to keep the feast of tabernacles.

Read verse #20 also of Zechariah 14 as I will leave you with that I hope this information will help you

blessings

OC

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

Shalom,

This is an excellent site for iblical feast info and resources:

http://biblicalholidays.com/

Here is some info on Sukkot, the Feast of Tabernacles:

http://biblicalholidays.com/tabernacles.htm

The Feast of Tabernacles

Overview

The Feast of Tabernacles is a week-long autumn harvest festival. Tabernacles is also known as the Feast of the Ingathering, Feast of the Booths, Sukkoth, Succoth, or Sukkot (variations in spellings occur because these words are transliterations of the Hebrew word pronounced

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

http://biblicalholidays.com/Tabernacles/me...tabernacles.htm

Messiah in Tabernacles

sukka

Spiritual Lessons from the Feast of Tabernacles

God is Our Shelter

This holiday reminds us not to hold too tightly to material things. We live in a very materialistic age. When the Israelites were wanderers in the desert, they all lived in tents

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

Shalom,

This is an excellent site for iblical feast info and resources:

http://biblicalholidays.com/

Here is some info on Sukkot, the Feast of Tabernacles:

http://biblicalholidays.com/tabernacles.htm

Water was also an important part of the Feast of Tabernacles. Before the festival, the Rabbis taught on every passage in Scripture dealing with water. In Old Testament Biblical times, gold pitchers of water were brought from the pool of Siloam to the temple. The Priest would pour out the water over the altar to signify Israel

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

Excellent posts Vickilyn,

I find these Jewish traditions given them by the Lord so enriching when they are studied as it opens up so much of the meaning of scriptures to me. As I was reading through your posts I was reminded of a passage of scripture,

1 Corinthians 15:21-28--"For since by man came death by man came also the resurection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. But every man in his own order; Christ the firstfruits; afterwards they that are Christ's at his coming. Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death. For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith, all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him. And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all."

I am looking forward to this time when all of the harvest of the earth will be finally all gathered in and the kingdoms of this world will become the kingdoms of our Lord as the antichrist will be brought down and defeated. I look forward to the 1000 years of peace as the significance of the feast of tabernacles that is observed after the harvest is brought in will come alive like never before I believe during that time what a glorious time.

Anyways thanks for posting

:wub:

OC