IGNORED

Why is the 'Church of Christ' sometimes called a cult?

graymousey

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

Wheee...eew, What Have I done.....I think I had better do stand in the corner and read the apostle"s creed. <_<

ABBA DADDY - JESUS THE CHRIST - HOLY SPIRIT OF THE LIVING GOD

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.

By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.

For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.

For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

And there are three that bear witness in earth, the spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.

He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.

And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.

[12] He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

1 John 5:1-13

:whistling:

Say What!

Calling The Sinner.

"The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee." Jeremiah 31:3

Say What!

No Smack Down?

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end." Jeremiah 29:11

Say What!

Reason With Sinners?

"Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool." Isaiah 1:18

Say What!

What Kind Of Love Is This?

"But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

Say What!

Just Believe?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

:24:

Repent And Be Baptized In The Name Of Jesus Christ!

Could It Be Immersion In His Name?

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." Acts 2:38

The Remission Of Sins? Where Did Jesus Go? Oh Yeah, The Blood!

"For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins." Matthew 26:28

The Remission Of Sins, Faith In The Precious Blood Of The Lamb, The Forbearance (Grace) Of God!

"Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;" Romans 3:25

Wait A Minute! Water Fight, Water Fight! What About That Pesky Water Baptism Schism?

I've Been There!

Baptized Three Times Three.

Until The Bible Became Stronger Than Man's Talk.

And The Blood Of The Lamb Totally Sufficient For The Remission Of Sins.

And The Almighty LORD Jesus The Only Way, The Truth And The Life.

My Sure Hope Of Salvation.

My GOD, My LORD!

John Does Water But Even John Knew The Truth!

"John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:" Luke 3:16

Jesus Shall Baptize With The Holy Ghost!

Man's Out The Loop!

Think He's Mad!

Yeap!

Me Too!

Jesus Shall Baptize With Fire!

Man's Out The Loop!

Think He's Mad!

Yeap!

Me Too!

You Can't Do It Your Way.

Jesus Is The Only Way!

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

You Can Not Make Your Own Door.

Jesus Is The Only Door!

"Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture." John 10:7-9

You Can't Even Make A Name For Yourself.

Jesus Is The Only Name!

"Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." Acts 4:12

Quibble Quibble Not!

Grace!

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:" Ephesians 2:8

BUT, BUT

Say What! No Condemnation!

["Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life." John 5:24

Do This Do That! What The Lord Say!

"Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you." 2 Corinthians 13:11

Stones Or Not, Towels Or Not, Opinionated Or Not, At Worthy Brothers And Sisters, You Are Loved And Cherished And Respected. The Name You Carry Is Holy, Holy, Holy!

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king." 1 Peter 2:17

Because We Love God.

"If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also." 1 John 4:20-21

Because He First Loved Us.

"We love him, because he first loved us." 1 John 4:19

Be Blessed Beloved Of The LORD

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them.

Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

I wouldn't argue with you on that Ovedya, all though I never heard it or had it said to me by anybody who actually knew what they were talking about in the CoC, of course that may be cause I didn't give them the chance. My family on the other hand has done everything but had and exorcism (good thing CoC don't believe in those) for me. I am the black sheep of the family now :whistling: and until I find a church where I actually feel Christ alive and working, ya'll are stuck with me! :24:

I guess what got my back up is..........well let me put it this way, if the name of this thread was Is the (insert your group here) a cult, every one of you would have felt the same way I did. I also don't think I deserved one of the insulting remarks made to me in this thread, but fruit of the Spirit right.

scarlet, i hope that you will reply to me as i just realized that my sister and brother-in-law attend a Church of Christ along with an uncle and aunt of mine. we attended one sunday when we visited them. i just assumed it was another denomination like baptist, methodist, etc. now i am confused with everyone talking about 2 different CoC's.

ok - to my point - it seemed a regular preaching, the difference was they do not believe in any musical instruments. they do sing but no piano, organ, nothing. **this may be helpful to the OP as it relates to a 'difference'** also - my uncle who attends has been telling my mother that she must go to church + give up smoking or she will go to hell (did he mean his church do you think?)

i felt uncomfortable answering my mother, thinking that he, being an older christian may know something i don't know but i did end up reassuring my mother that she would not go to hell for not going to church.

btw - after reading tm75's post, this particular CoC did have toilet facilities.

Not to be rude, but what makes you think that by not going to Church you won't go to hell?

We are commanded to meet upon the first day of the week to worship God. The first day of the week is the only time we are commanded to come together and worship our God and take the communion.

Acts 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

If we do not take the Lord's Supper we have no life in us.

John 6:53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

This is a must.

Again though, people will argue with us about taking the Lord's Supper when we can see the importance of it, but will also down cast us for not having instruments in worship when you will never, ever see and example or commandment in the New Testament to have them in worship. Why is that?

please don't make me plead the case for home-bound elderly or the sick etc. etc., it's obvious.

also please don't tell me i can't take the Lord's supper right here with my family at our dining room table either.

• Topic Count:  105
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

Okay, I don't believe that speaking in tongues is a sign of being baptised in the holy spirit and to me, being slain in the spirit is no way biblical. So does that make the charismatic pentecostals a cult,.......I shouldn't think so.

I don't believe in eternal security or OSAS either, So does that make the baptists a cult......Can't see it.

The CoC believe that Jesus Christ is the living Son of the living God, without whom there is no salvation and anything else they believe is on their heads not mine. I don't believe some of the practices of the RCC line 100% with the bible, but I wouldn't fall out with our catholic brethren over it. The same goes for any denomination.

Before anyone pulls the heresy card, best be able to back it up. :24:

Amen eric....... :whistling: ........and since I'm one of those nasty CoC's...........what does that say about all of the comments of "closed minded and a cult" :24: I find it interesting that those that ARE CoC aren't listened too, but those that "know" someone, who knows someone are.............so basically some people are only listening to the ones that feed into their already preconceived ideas.

ouchy - the nail not the thumb pleeeease

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

Fraught, while I do believe that we should not forsake the assembling of ourselves together, I also remember "where two or more are gathered together in my name, there I am also" so no I don't think the sick or the homebound are going to hell for not going to a church building, I still think if you can, its good for you to go, but its not going to send you to hell!

As for the Lords Supper, as along as your taking it correctly and not in a way that brings condemnation upon you, who cares where you take it. If I'm doing it in remembrance of my Lord and Savior with a repentant heart, then He is there! :whistling:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  1,973
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Birthday:  11/13/1953

Basically because the Church of Christ has their own set of guild lines separate from the body of Christ. They do not use musical instruments even though the bible say to use musical instruments in the worship of God, because satan was a music minister. It doesn't matter to them that angels are harping harps 24 sevens in praise to God in heaven. They believe that it takes seven steps before one can be saved. The believe that miracles and the power of the Holy Spirit died out with the twelve apostles. They believe that they are the "Only Authorized by God Church of Christ" and that every other Christian who belongs to every other denomination is going to hell. They deny that they are a denomination but they get all of their pastors from the same source. I mean think about it. How is it that there is a Church of Christ in nearly every city both big and small in America with pastors that believe the same doctrines, but they are not a denomination?

They believe that the Lords prayer is obsolete and they brain wash their people so that they will never visit any other denominational church or listen to any other doctrinal teachings whether they be wrong or right doctrine. One can not find another more closed minded group of people.

:blink: thats the biggest bunch of tripe I've heard in a long time...............and let me add, considering many of your other post, thats saying something.................. :huh:

Well Scarletprayers I was baptized in a COC. After reading the first 4 gospels one day I realized that I needed to be baptized so I went to the nearest church not knowing that there were so many different kinds of churches it was just a church to me. I received Christ, got baptized and started to learn their doctrinal beliefs in classes and when the pastor tried to tell me that the Lords prayer was obsolete that's when I started having troubles with what they were teaching.

Today my brother goes to a COC and he believes all that they tried to teach me.

So Scarletprayers I got all of that info directly from the doctrinal teachings of the COC and according to my brother they have not changed in the least. Don't just through insults at me. Back your mouth up with some research able facts. Prove that what I said about the COC or what I stated in any other of my posts is a lie or tripe or false. Don't be afraid to show me that I am wrong. I am a big boy and I don't have a problem admitting when I am wrong but first you have to prove it to me. So bring it on. What proof do you have that what I said is as you call it "tripe".

Edited by Massorite

Basically because the Church of Christ has their own set of guild lines separate from the body of Christ. They do not use musical instruments even though the bible say to use musical instruments in the worship of God, because satan was a music minister. It doesn't matter to them that angels are harping harps 24 sevens in praise to God in heaven. They believe that it takes seven steps before one can be saved. The believe that miracles and the power of the Holy Spirit died out with the twelve apostles. They believe that they are the "Only Authorized by God Church of Christ" and that every other Christian who belongs to every other denomination is going to hell. They deny that they are a denomination but they get all of their pastors from the same source. I mean think about it. How is it that there is a Church of Christ in nearly every city both big and small in America with pastors that believe the same doctrines, but they are not a denomination?

They believe that the Lords prayer is obsolete and they brain wash their people so that they will never visit any other denominational church or listen to any other doctrinal teachings whether they be wrong or right doctrine. One can not find another more closed minded group of people.

:th_praying: thats the biggest bunch of tripe I've heard in a long time...............and let me add, considering many of your other post, thats saying something.................. :24:

Well Scarletprayers I was baptized in a COC. After reading the first 4 gospels one day I realized that I needed to be baptized so I went to the nearest church not knowing that there were so many different kinds of churches it was just a church to me. I received Christ, got baptized and started to learn their doctrinal beliefs in classes and when the pastor tried to tell me that the Lords prayer was obsolete that's when I started having troubles with what they were teaching.

So Scarletprayers I got all of that info directly from the doctrinal teachings of the COC and according to my brother they have not changed in the least. Don't just through insults at me. Back your mouth up with some research able facts. Prove that what I said about the COC or what I stated in any other of my posts is a lie or tripe or false. Don't be afraid to show me that I am wrong. I am a big boy and I don't have a problem admitting when I am wrong but first you have to prove it to me. So bring it on. What proof do you have that what I said is as you call it "tripe".

So what, is that all you can say for yourself? "Spare Me" As best as I can tell I have not had any diologe with you at all any where in the worthy boards. Or maybe once and I didn't insult you. But suddenly you have decided to verbally attack me. As I always tell the brethren. When someone makes you angry you need to look at your walk with God.

I guess you have no proof to prove me wrong. I guess you couldn't come up with any proof to back up your tripe.

Remember! God is watching!

:th_praying: thats the biggest bunch of tripe I've heard in a long time...............and let me add, considering many of your other post, thats saying something.................. :24:

So what, is that all you can say for yourself? "Spare Me" As best as I can tell I have not had any diologe with you at all any where in the worthy boards. Or maybe once and I didn't insult you. But suddenly you have decided to verbally attack me. As I always tell the brethren. When someone makes you angry you need to look at your walk with God.

I guess you have no proof to prove me wrong. Looks like you couldn't come up with any proof to back up your tripe.

Remember! God is watching!

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

Hi Massorite,.Just remember there are many groups and splinter groups that call themselves CoC and then there is the UCC. So please be a bit more specific as to which one you are referring to, for instance,

Which group are you referring to here, because I agree with Scarlet prayer. That sounds like a bunch of tripe to me. I have never heard of that before.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  462
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/07/1981

Fraught, while I do believe that we should not forsake the assembling of ourselves together, I also remember "where two or more are gathered together in my name, there I am also" so no I don't think the sick or the homebound are going to hell for not going to a church building, I still think if you can, its good for you to go, but its not going to send you to hell!

As for the Lords Supper, as along as your taking it correctly and not in a way that brings condemnation upon you, who cares where you take it. If I'm doing it in remembrance of my Lord and Savior with a repentant heart, then He is there! :whistling:

Amen and good post! So many "color of the carpet in the sanctuary" issues around here....so, so many, more than I've ever seen until I became a member of Worthy, when all that really matters is reaching others by spreading the saving grace of Christ, and Him crucified!...Blessings, A.P.