apothanein kerdos

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20
  • Days Won:  0

Can someone explain what is different now from what it was like at the turn of the century, in terms of how an immigrant enters this country? Why do so many enter illegally, rather than legally?

All 4 of my grandparents were legal aliens, who came thru Ellis Island. If it was good enough for them......

I'm admitting my stupidity here. Why don't they just do it legally? I know several Latinos, who are here legally, that are disgusted with the illegal alien problem because it reflects on them.

Peace,

Fiosh

Population caps.

At Ellis island, if you weren't a criminal or diseased, you were allowed into this country (for the most part).

Now, you have to pay thousands of dollars, wait on a list (up to 10 years), and fight just to get a worker visa into the US (which could take 2-3 years).

Basically, it's EXTREMELY hard for the lower end workers to get into the US. Much harder than it was at the turn of the century.

Thanks for the info, AK. :24:

To give you an idea of how much it's changed, if the same policy we have now were applied to Ellis Island, many of us would not be living in America right now. :24:

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

I don't see how so many people can make this such a cut-n-dry issue. Not sure why, but I'm a bit more compassionate on this issue. Maybe its because I see mexican immigrants everyday and they are not this big, evil, invading force. Maybe its because I'm not sure what I would do if it was my family living on $37-a-day. (Thats an avg. daily rate...the majority earn far less than that.)

Sure, something has to be done, and it is a National issue... I just don't see the reason for such extreme polarization by both sides on this issue. Its not like were talking about killing 4000 babies a day. We are talking about a large number of people who are fleeing poverty, corruption, and oppression in order to make a better life. Sure, some of those making their way into our country have wrong intent, but they are the vast minority.

There is no easy answer...or at least their shouldn't be. That is why I tend to feel like this Immigration Bill is attempting to take positive measures on several fronts. It is not a perfect plan...but it does show compassion and it does provide a plan for security in the future.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

Is making your life better worth breaking the law for?

Is making your life better worth making others life worse?

Is making your life better worth putting others into poverty?

Is making your life better worth lying and stealing for?

Is making your life better worth breaking the law for?

Is making your life better worth making others life worse?

Is making your life better worth putting others into poverty?

Is making your life better worth lying and stealing for?

Wow, I never thought I'd see you that vocal about upper echelon business leaders!

Oh, you're not talking about them...

:33:

If a Mexican steals your job, he's illegal and should be deported. If a business owner lays off 5,000 employees so he can up his salary, he's a smart businessman.

Amazing what happens at different economic brackets.

I'm not for illegal immigration, but c'mon. The first point makes sense...after that it just gets silly.

Answer the questions.

At what point do you draw the line on improving your life?

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  63
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  05/19/1978

I really try hard not to discuss this issue with anyone, because I find myself at odds with most people I know about it.

The illegal immigrants I know are some of the most hard working people you will ever meet. They work hard and send about 90% of their pay home to their families every week. They tell me that there is no way for them to earn enough money there to properly support their families.

Here's the part that bothers me:

1. They usually have a wife there and a wife here.

2. They don't pay taxes.

3. Even if arrested, unless it is a major crime, there are no consequences. I was in court once and ahead of me was the case of a 23 year old mexican male that was illegal in our country and spoke no english. He was arrested on I285 in GA for poping wheelies at speeds in excess of 100 mph (speed limit 55); and for having multiple fake ID's. The judge actually apologized to him because he did not understand our laws.

Why can't we accept those that will abide by our laws and pay the same taxes. Why can't we send the trespassers home to where they come from whey they are caught breaking our laws?

Answer the questions.

Everything you listed goes on daily in America in the business world. Should we go after them too? If you draw your line at those three questions (below the legal portion), then you need to be just as adamant about going after the corporate world as you are about going against illegal immigrants.

In all honesty, more people are threatened by business owners (by your last three standards) than by illegal immigrants.

"If a Mexican steals your job, he's illegal and should be deported. If a business owner lays off 5,000 employees so he can up his salary, he's a smart businessman.

I find both scenarios deplorable.

"If a Mexican steals your job, he's illegal and should be deported. If a business owner lays off 5,000 employees so he can up his salary, he's a smart businessman.

I find both scenarios deplorable.

Then speak out against both. Keep in mind, you'll have to go against Capitalist ideas in order to do it (if you write a Congressperson that is.)

It's a fickle world and sometimes our morality comes into conflict with our economic and political beliefs. What we get mad about with illegal immigrants occurs everyday with legal citizens. If we're going to get mad about one aspect, we need to get mad about all aspects.

Answer the questions.

Everything you listed goes on daily in America in the business world. Should we go after them too? If you draw your line at those three questions (below the legal portion), then you need to be just as adamant about going after the corporate world as you are about going against illegal immigrants.

In all honesty, more people are threatened by business owners (by your last three standards) than by illegal immigrants.

I am against anyone that steps over others to get ahead. Those who lie cheat steal regardless of whether they are illegals or not.

You make it sound like it's ok for illegals to do it because the legals do it too.

Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?