• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  97
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/09/1964

Does anyone else here feel that they sometimes have a strong gift of Discernment from God??? I didn't realize that I sometimes had it until a few of my Christians friends brought it to my attention. In my case I sometimes can read others sins that God has placed before me. I may cross a strangers' path whom I have never met and will never meet again and had felt the need to tell them of their "cross" or "burden" So far none have been insulted or angry because I felt that since God directed me to them that God also prepared their hearts and minds for me and what I was about to tell them. Strangest thing is that many times it's not necessarily a pain or burden that you can easily see or feel eminating from their spirit.

Anyone else have these strange experiences???? Anyone?

Blessings

Cajunboy

I'm not sure if this is the same thing at all, but when I first got saved, I used to get very strong urges to pray for someone, sometimes when I was laying in bed, almost asleep. I never knew what was wrong, other than they were somehow in danger of some sort. I'd be on my knees crying and praying for them. The next day, I would call them, and they always told me that something had happened to them at the time I had the urge to pray for them....like one guy almost got hit by a car, and another girl had a demonic attack (she "saw" demons and they attacked her), and another guy was going through some serious spiritual warfare.

Not sure if that is considered the gift of Discernment, or the gift of Intercession.......or maybe both, IDK.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  163
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Please forgive me I am new here. I assume I can add my observation here.

Discernment? It has been described as the ability to know somebody else's burden or sin, given by a previous poster.

Well the Bible tells us the Christian needs discernment to know what is "of God" and what is not "of God". So we are not to be easily led astray by false teachers or wolves in sheeps clothing.

Here is an example. Sorry it may not be the best scripture to confirm what I have said. However it is one that comes to mind.

Hebrews 5:14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Discernment? It has been described as the ability to know somebody else's burden or sin, given by a previous poster.

Well the Bible tells us the Christian needs discernment to know what is "of God" and what is not "of God". So we are not to be easily led astray by false teachers or wolves in sheeps clothing.

Here is an example. Sorry it may not be the best scripture to confirm what I have said. However it is one that comes to mind.

Hebrews 5:14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

What you describe would be the Word of Knowledge, knowing something of another without previous revelation. The gift of discerning of spirits is to be able to tell if the person is of God or not, discerning which spirit lives in them.

Welcome to Worthy!

What you describe would be the Word of Knowledge, knowing something of another without previous revelation. The gift of discerning of spirits is to be able to tell if the person is of God or not, discerning which spirit lives in them.

Welcome to Worthy!

No not knowledge but as I said "of God". I knew that verse wasn't a good one to describe it.

Gift of knowledge is different.

Discernment is to know what is "of God" or Good/Righteous/Holy (I could keep listing so many attributes here) and is not "of God". You can apply discernment to what people teach or say or to that of spirits, even dreams.

Of course to have discernment one would need to have some knowledge of God's Word and partly I think it comes from the Holy Spirit. The act of discernment enables us to know the difference between what is Good(of God) and what is Evil(NOT of God).

I didn't think discernment was the act of knowing someone else's sins.

OK I have spent time with my concordance. I think these verses help to show what I mean.

1KI 3:7 "Now, O LORD my God, you have made your servant king in place of my father David. But I am only a little child and do not know how to carry out my duties. 8 Your servant is here among the people you have chosen, a great people, too numerous to count or number. 9 So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong. For who is able to govern this great people of yours?"

JOB 34:4 Let us discern for ourselves what is right; let us learn together what is good.

PS 119:125 I am your servant; give me discernment that I may understand your statutes.

Thanks for the welcome.

Mel :emot-handshake:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

Could you elaborate?

I believe people get the Gift of the Spirit called "discerning of spirits" confuessed with the "Gift of Knowledge" and also being able to tell when some one is of God or not......

when God lets some one else know something about some one else, it is not from discernment, it is knowledge.....

being able to tell if some one is of God or not, should be fairly easy, for the Fruit of their labors will show where they stand with God.... Good fruit does not come from corrupt trees, nor does rotten fruit come from Good trees.

so it would be a good ide to do as Terter asks, elaborate as to what the situation is, hypothetical or real....

mike

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Welcome to Worthy!

No not knowledge but as I said "of God". I knew that verse wasn't a good one to describe it.

Gift of knowledge is different.

Discernment is to know what is "of God" or Good/Righteous/Holy (I could keep listing so many attributes here) and is not "of God". You can apply discernment to what people teach or say or to that of spirits, even dreams.

Of course to have discernment one would need to have some knowledge of God's Word and partly I think it comes from the Holy Spirit. The act of discernment enables us to know the difference between what is Good(of God) and what is Evil(NOT of God).

I didn't think discernment was the act of knowing someone else's sins.

OK I have spent time with my concordance. I think these verses help to show what I mean.

1KI 3:7 "Now, O LORD my God, you have made your servant king in place of my father David. But I am only a little child and do not know how to carry out my duties. 8 Your servant is here among the people you have chosen, a great people, too numerous to count or number. 9 So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong. For who is able to govern this great people of yours?"

JOB 34:4 Let us discern for ourselves what is right; let us learn together what is good.

PS 119:125 I am your servant; give me discernment that I may understand your statutes.

Thanks for the welcome.

Mel :emot-handshake:

What you have given in reference of 1 Kings 3:7 is not the same as discerning the spirit of another, as in 1 Corinthians 12. The gift is something special and may or may not need scripture to accomplish the discernment. Even Satan can quote scripture, but he can not hide the spirit. Those who have the gift can discern the spirit of a person without as much saying a word. They can tell if a person is a wolf in sheep's clothing or one of Gods children by the Holy Spirit allowing them to know the spirit that guides them.

If you have a concordance, look up Strong's G1253 or check here.

Could you elaborate?

I believe people get the Gift of the Spirit called "discerning of spirits" confuessed with the "Gift of Knowledge" and also being able to tell when some one is of God or not......

when God lets some one else know something about some one else, it is not from discernment, it is knowledge.....

being able to tell if some one is of God or not, should be fairly easy, for the Fruit of their labors will show where they stand with God.... Good fruit does not come from corrupt trees, nor does rotten fruit come from Good trees.

so it would be a good ide to do as Terter asks, elaborate as to what the situation is, hypothetical or real....

mike

Yes Mike that is correct. That is what I was trying to say.

I was just trying to show it was not the same as CajunBoy had described. I thought his gift was different. More along the lines of knowledge rather than discernment.

Thanks

Mel

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

Could you elaborate?

mike

Yes Mike that is correct. That is what I was trying to say.

I was just trying to show it was not the same as CajunBoy had described. I thought his gift was different. More along the lines of knowledge rather than discernment.

Thanks

Mel

something else to think about too, is the more a person is in the Word, the more a person spends time with the Lord, one on one the more they will see that does not line up with the Word of God... this is something that is developed, and not just a gift....

I have seen where a woman went up to an evangelist, and she was wanting him to bless her, and the evangelist looked at her and told her that he could not bless her while she was living in sin against her husband, her husband was standing there and the evangelist looked over at him without the husband saying a word and told him he also needed to be faithful to his wife...... (this was the first time either had ever seen the evangelist, and the evangelist had no previous knowledge of either person)... this was the Gift of Knowledge in action......

mike

• 3 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  289
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Does anyone else here feel that they sometimes have a strong gift of Discernment from God???

Hmm...sometimes I saw people with pride think that they have the gift of discernment. To me, ability of discernment comes from the Holy Spirit who guides you to the Bible knowledge to allow you to discern more correctly.

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

Does anyone else here feel that they sometimes have a strong gift of Discernment from God???

Hmm...sometimes I saw people with pride think that they have the gift of discernment. To me, ability of discernment comes from the Holy Spirit who guides you to the Bible knowledge to allow you to discern more correctly.

That's the way I see it too.