IGNORED

Should Christians study other religions?

Guest tygra

Should Christians study, or understand, other religions like Islam, Buddhism, etc  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Should Christians study, or understand, other religions like Islam, Buddhism, etc

• No, it is evil to do so.
    • No because it might harm your faith or lead you astray
    • No, there is just no point in it and it would waste time
    • Maybe, if you are personally curious about it
    • Sure, to understand a non-Christian friend's p.o.v.
    • Yes, it's good to know the faith of those you witness to
    • Yes, just to be educated
    • Some other idea
    • No opinion

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  997
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

Artsylady writes:

"What if a person you are concerned about really wants to keep that counterfeit 1000 dollar bill when you're ready to offer him a genuine one. What if he doesn't believe you and thinks that his bill is the same thing. Don't you want to point out the flaws on his bill to show him that it's not the real thing?"

My response:

Thank you. Ms Artslady, for the question.

Comment 1

I suggest "common ground" first. "Reason" with that person as "Columbo" would! That is, this person "thinks" his bill is the same thing. "Thinks" implies a "Belief". But what is that person's argument? He/she gave their "opinion", or assertion without support/evidence. An argument is different from an assertion. An assertion simply states a point of view, while an argument gives supporting reasons why the point should be considered as valid-the supporting ideas that "hold" the conclusion up. The reasons, then, become the topic of mutual discussion or analysis. But opinions are not evidence/proof. An assertion without evidence is useless.

Do not, I repeat, do not, ask him to "believe you". We should avoid offering our "opinions". You do not want to get in a "In my opinion" dance with him! That dance will never end. Instead, say, "I am not asking you to believe me. Let's look at the evidence. OK?"

Belief and the truth are independent. Absolute certainty about something is no assurance that you believe the truth. Someone may believe something with all their heart("sincerity"), and yet be in error. Mere belief does not guarantee you are correct. The opposite is also true. You may disbelieve something with absolute certainty, and yet be wrong. Just as belief does not guarantee something is true, doubt is no guarantee that something is false. The conclusion/argument: Belief makes nothing true, and the greatest doubt in the world makes nothing false-belief stands indepent of the truth itself. The truth goes on eternally regardless of one's belief, or lack therof.

In this example, just because he "thinks" his bill is genuine does not make it so. See if he agrees with you on that(common ground). And conversely, just because you "believe" Christianity is true, does not make it so. But now, you have the opportunity to witness(a witness speaks out/testifies to the evidence about the reliability of the Bible, that the Lord Jesus Christ rose from the dead..............)-you have an opening! You can "reason" with him(Isaiah 1:18), based on evidence. You can now show him "the flaws", but use the logic below(i.e., both the "genuine" bill(Christianity") and his "counterfeit" bill(his "religion") cannot both be true).

I make the above points merely to emphasize that all Christians should stay clear of the "in my opinion" approaches to discussing the subject of the validity of the Bible vs (whatever). Christians and non-Christians should be encouraged to ask questions to seek the truth-probing questions are essental in discovering the truth. But any "faith" which is not supported by evidence/proof(the "argument") is not faith, it is fantasy and folly.

Comment 3

The argument that "All roads lead to the same destination", that all "religions"are equally true(Pluralism) is a self-refuting argument-it self-destructs, and here is why: If all "religions" are true, then Christianity is true. But part of the doctrine, "truth", of the Christian faith is that all other religions are false, i.e., "...I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh to the Father, but by me"(John 14:6), "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved"(Acts 4:12)-the exclusivity of Christianity. Either Christianity is true and others are false, or some other "religion"s true and Christianity is false. Logically, either way, all "religions" cannot be true. Thus, the Bible's claim to be the only revelation FROM God and OF God to mankind requires that all other religion's "scripture" be false.

Comment 3

Many will say that the Holy Bible is not the only book, or exclusive book, inspired by God-for eg., the Koran, the Book of Mormon, the Vedas, and many more claim to come from God. Does the fact that Christianity teaches that other books are false cast doubt on the Holy Bible as well? That is, if so many others are wrong, why not the Bible?

Answer: Whether other "scriptures" of other "religions" are true or false has no bearing on the Bible's infallibility or lack thereof. One apologest uses the following example: If 10/11 contestants failed to win a race, this can hardly be a plausible argument that therfore no one could have won. In our example, that there is counterfeit money circulating abundantly does not mandate that "genuine" money does not exist! In fact, it argues for its existence, otherwise counterfeiting would have no point/purpose. The Bible must be examined on it's own merits based on evidence.

Now you have "the door", to "speak boldly"(Eph. 6:20) for our wonderful Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ!

I hope this helps. I am "not too good" at apologetics! I will pray for you Ms Artsylady. You are an "ambassador for Christ"(2 Cor, 5:20, Eph. 6:20). What an honor!

In Christ and with Christ,

John M. Whalen

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  171
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

The argument that "All roads lead to the same destination", that all "religions"are equally true(Pluralism) is a self-refuting argument-it self-destructs, and here is why: If all "religions" are true, then Christianity is true. But part of the doctrine, "truth", of the Christian faith is that all other religions are false, i.e., "...

lol. That's exactly true.

Guest Sportster

I'd say it's a definate plus to understand other religions so you can refute them. If they start talking about certain aspects of their religion and you know nothing about it,you can't answer questions or refute with any certainty. If you go into battle,it's wise to understand your enemies tactics,isn't it?

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

Well I've read some of the posts on this thread and there's a big variation of opinions. I dont see how you cane equate something tangible like a piece of currency that you can feel and see, with something like a belief, which is intangible. A bad anology IMO. Furthermore there is not much point in studying other religions when. like some, I know cant even comes to grips and understand fully whats written in the scriptures called the Holy Bible. When you are witnessing to anyone bhuddist, hindu or confucious you are to get your christian point of view not to question his religion. You are not there to make deals, you're there to represent Jesus. What benefit is to you or Christ to know about someone elses false gods. I haven't the foggiest notion of the Koran is all about, because it's none of my business. Christ is my business and directing the lost to Him, but I would sure as shooting love to tell any muslim I meet about Jesus.

Get to understand your own bible before you question anyone elses.

that's my opoinon anyway.

Eric writes:

"Well I've read some of the posts on this thread and there's a big variation of opinions. I dont see how you cane equate something tangible like a piece of currency that you can feel and see, with something like a belief, which is intangible. A bad anology IMO. Furthermore there is not much point in studying other religions when. like some, I know cant even comes to grips and understand fully whats written in the scriptures called the Holy Bible. When you are witnessing to anyone bhuddist, hindu or confucious you are to get your christian point of view not to question his religion. You are not there to make deals, you're there to represent Jesus. What benefit is to you or Christ to know about someone elses false gods. I haven't the foggiest notion of the Koran is all about, because it's none of my business. Christ is my business and directing the lost to Him, but I would sure as shooting love to tell any muslim I meet about Jesus.

Get to understand your own bible before you question anyone elses.

that's my opoinon anyway. "

You missed the point of the analogy, Eric. The point was that there is no need to study the Koran, the counterfeit, when you have the genuine, The Holy Bible. You study/rely on the Bible, the truth, as the standard by which you expose error(like the Koran), much as you study a "real dollar bill", the genuine, to be able to know a fake bill when you see it. Both the Bible and the Koran are "tangible"-books you can feel touch and feel. The issue is not faith, which you say is intangible, but discerning the truth from deception. And you discern error and deception by knowing the Bible(a tangible book), "the word of truth", for it will expose deceptions like the Koran(a tangible book).

Again, the issue is not faith. But since you did mention it, faith is not some "pipedream" or fantasy. Any "faith" which is not based upon reason supported by evidence is folly. And the Holy Bible is the written record of such evidence, the written record of our "faith", the body of truth of God's revelation of Himself to man. Our faith stands on the basis of evidence which is independent of physical sight and scientific documentation/verification, but which indisputable and undeniable.

There are 3 essential elements of faith:1. knowledge=perception of some information=Before we can believe anything we must know about it. This is where the Bible "comes in"-a "tangible", written record, and the source of our knowledge, since "... faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God"(Romans 10:17), and "... and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard?"(Romans 10:14) Notice Eph. 1:13-:... ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed...." Thus, faith presupposes knowledge, and this knowledge comes from hearing the "tangible" word of God in written form. 2. Mental assent -an acceptance that something is true, being persuaded that something is true, convinced something is true, BASED UPON FACTS/EVIDENCE. For eg., "... many infallible proofs...(Acts 1:3). See also Luke 24:39, John 20:27, 1 Cor. 15:5-6("seen" by witnesses). Faith, since it is based on knowledge, does not mean believing when there is no evidence(that is fantasy). Faith includes believing the evidence. It permits investigation. It is not "if I believe hard enough it will come true", or "I hope so". It is having your feet planted firmly "on the ground of" facts. Biblical faith is always founded on fact-not upon feelings/emotion or intuition. 3. Reliance on the truth=resting on, depending on

Thus, biblical faith is recognition of some information(knowledge), accepting it as true based upon evidence, and depending on it. It is recognition of the truth, the reception of the truth, and the reliance upon the truth. It is the intelligent perception of, reception of, and reliance upon the truth as revealed in a "tangible" document-the Holy Bible.

I hope this clarifies. I think we agree in our conclusion, but not as to why!

In Christ,

John M. Whalen

Hey John, I'm glad we agree. What are you a school teacher or something. I never finished third year at high school myself. You know like words of one syllable? I mean you are something else, but I get your drift.

God bless ya jw.

Eric writes: "Hey John, I'm glad we agree. What are you a school teacher or something. I never finished third year at high school myself. You know like words of one syllable? I mean you are something else, but I get your drift.

God bless ya jw."

Eric,

Thank you for your gracious words!

No, I am not a school teacher.I wish I were! I do not have all the "hardware"(Phd, Dds................) you seem to need in this complicated world.

Do not get discouraged by your lack of "wordly education", for "... the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness"(1 Cor. 3:19).

Interestingly enough, Peter and John were considered "...unlearned and ignorant men...."(Acts 4:13) by the so-called "experts" of their day. And these same "experts" knew the contents of scripture "word for word"(they had it memorized), but "a lotta good it did them"!(sarcasm).

Paul, "...the apostle of the Gentiles...."(Romans 11:13), who was on the "fast-track"("gold" per Seinfeld!), considered all his "degrees" and "heritage"(Philippians 3:4-6, 2 Cor. 11:22) as "dung"(Phil. 3:8) as compared to his "...knowledge of Christ Jesus...."(Phil. 3:8).

Do you remember Jethro Bodine("The Beverly Hillbillies")? He had only "a sixth grade education", and yet he was rich!(perhaps not a great analogy!).

Remember that you are "... an heir of God through Christ...."(Galatians 4:7, Romans 8:17, Titus 3:7). Do not confuse wisdom with knowledge. Wisdom is the correct application of knowledge, which you seem to have.

Someone once said that philosophers are people who seek answers to questions people never ask.

As for me, I am just one former beggar, now "in Christ" and therefore an heir, trying to show other beggars, those "...in Adam....", where the food is-"...in Christ...."(1 Cor. 15:22). Or, as Paul put it, "And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also"(2 Tim. 2:2).

I hope this edifies("builds up").

In Christ,

John M. Whalen

Well bro, you sound okay with me, I am always ready to listen and learn. That's one of the reasons I joined this board.

blessings,

eric.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  302
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

I think christians should study other religions,because I've witnessed to a muslim once,and a mormon and a Jehovah's witness each a few times,and they all said, "What do you know about our belief, have you ever studied it?" I said "yes I have,and I know,what I'm talking about". I went on to mention some of the things they believe in,so they would know that I knew,and then I would take out my bible,and show where they were wrong about what they believe in,so yes, I think we as christians should study other religions and unscriptual stuff,as long as we don't study it more than the word of God,because after all, we ought to know more of what God says than what the false religionists say and believe.

Salt and light says,

I would take out my bible,and show where they were wrong about what they believe in,

Telling people they are wrong in what they believ in, is not a good way to start witnessing to anyone IMO. They are just as likely to tell you that you are wrong in what you believe in, and an argument is started. I dont care a fig what they believe in, I'm here to bear witness to my faith not pull theirs down.

for example, you pull in to a gas station, and the attendant says good morning and starts to fill your tank. Do you say good morning, what is your religion? Or do you say goodmorning, have you heard about Christ who died so that we may live? And if he says he is a bhuddist or whatever, and he doesnt want to know, hop in your car and drive away. Knowing about bhuddism, unless you know it all from go to whoa, isn't going to help a bit...JMO.