• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  140
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,846
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/05/1987

I don't want to be labeled a Christian either, just because of the conetation it brings

I will always say I am a Christian. I could care less what other people think about it. I won't live my life in fear of "offending" someone by being labeled a Christian. If they believe it comes with a lot of bad baggage, I'll take the time to clarify. If they still don't like it....tough. That's really their problem, not mine. The only being that I'm trying to please is God...not man.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

There's that old question of "If you were accused of being a Christian, would there be enouch evidence to convict you?" We have to prayerfully work everyday to overcome the human inclinations we have and try to be more Christlike in all we think do and say. Can we ever achieve perfection? Not this side of Heaven. I do think, though, that Christians are held to a higher standard by others. We are just human and we fail. We still get mad when a driver cuts us off, or get annoyed when we are in a grocery store checkout line and the person ahead of us has 15 things in the 10 thing line. The world looks at us and expects us to be able to walk on water, it seems. Jesus, though, is who we strive to be like. He loved everyone.....even Judas. He loved, but He did not close His eyes to someone who was in sin. For instance, the woman caught in adultry. First He made sure that those who were accusing her saw their own sin, then He made her see her own sin. He always loved the sinner, but not the sin.

If we look at a brother or sister in Christ and see some wrong actions, we need to help them through in love, and not condemn them and accuse them of not really being Christian. Remember, God is working on them and shaping and molding them. Then ask yourself "What un-Christlike actions do I do that God is trying to change in me?"

Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven. Thank God!

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

Yep - I'm atheist, and I'll tell you why.

Whenever I've been in discussion over exactly what a "Christian" is, quite often the answer has nothing to do with Christ. People will often say they are Christian but never know what it means or even follow God. Some won't even believe Jesus existed. Some don't even believe in God. Yet when i challenge them as to why they are "Christian" then, people say I'm being discriminatory and that if they want to call themselves Christian who am I to question them.

It has been my experience that the term "Christian" has become the most abused word in the English language. Any man and their dog can claim to be Christian, while not even believing in God.

So, from now on, I'm going to claim I am an atheist. And when people ask me why I don't believe in God, I will tell them promptly that I do believe in God. I will tell them that I believe Jesus is Lord and Saviour. And then they will look at me like I've just been braindamaged somehow, and tell me that I'm not an atheist because I believe in God. Then I will tell them that if I want to call myself "atheist" who are they to discriminate against my choice.

I'm not really becoming atheist - don't let the topic title fool you. But why is it that the secular world has come to accept the name "Christian" to apply to anyone who calls themselves Christian, regardless of what they believe, yet on the other hand, if I claimed to be an Atheist but believed in God, people would tell me I am wrong, or if I was Buddhist but didn't believe in Buddhist teachings they'd tell me I'm not Buddhist.

The label that we give ourselves should have some meaning. If "Christian" has become so watered down as to mean absolutely anything, then perhaps its time that I call myself something else, because quite frankly, I don't want to be associated with a word that can simply mean anything at all, even including not believing in God or Jesus at all.

Just some food for thought.

What A Shock P.A. !!! you really had me wound up there for a minute. that's something i would like to try as well + i really look forward to hearing some reports from you about how this goes. very cool!

• Topic Count:  105
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

Very clever, ParanoidAndroid. It's sad but true that virtually anybody can call themself a Christian under the false belief that all one has to do to be a Christian is simply believe in God or go to church.

heck, I've met Christians (well, people who call themselves that, at least) who don't even believe in God at all. Someone I met on another message board believes that a Christian is someone who has mastered the "Science of Compassion" - in other words, they can be nice to other people. If someone does that, then they are Christian in his eyes. No Bible is required. The Bible to him is just one of the many guides given to us to help us achieve that mastery of compassion. If someone wants to pursue that in another way, then that is up to them.

It's sickening, really.

~ Regards, PA

P.S - I've edited my original post to add just a little more information

Sorry PA, but again I have to disagree with your thought process. And actually, I've never met a "Christian" who claimed to not know or hate God. And that would be an "oxymoron" at best for someone to claim so. I'm not sure what your efforts to call yourself "atheist" will get you except wasted attention. I do agree that many more people should make much more efforts to back up what they claim. But that's not very different than you and "thought" sounding as though you've both "given up " on the world. Finally, I don't think I've ever met one "Christian" or want to be "Christian" who has never sinned. As for that, my friend, I'm afraid we're all in the same boat. If you are merely disgusted with the way the world is turning out and those who seem not to care are merely bailing out on it, you're not alone. But, by all means PA , give them some constructive suggestions and/or criticism at best, and refrain from sounding like you're joining in on thier "pity party."

hmmm, i think this is the first time i've ever disagreed with you, cajun. for one thing, just because you "never met a "Christian" who claimed to not know or hate God." doesn't mean P.A. hasn't. i can't count the number of people i know whose definition of christian is someone who follows certain moral rules. it is an oxymoron for us of course. but there are many who do not see Christ in Christian.

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

most people think a Christian is some one that is not a buhdist, muslim, hindu, witch, druid, J.W., Mormon.... (as well as other sects)....

unfortunately, there are many in the church that will not partake in the rapture when it happens....

when the rapture happens, the wheat will be separated from the tares......

about 3 years ago, i was given a vission, one where i was looking out upon the congregation (representing the church goers) there were three sections of them. in an instant, one section was gone in the rapture, two sections were left sitting in their seats.

one of these two sections said this could not be the rapture, cause if it was we would have gone, cause we preached, we taught, we prophecied, we cast out demons healed in the name of Jesus, so it can not be the rapture. and if it was the rapture, then God lied to us, for we should have gone too. they will grow angry and bitter and will turn against those that will turn to God.

the other section sitting there, will look around, the eyes of their hearts will be opened, and they will see the truth, and they will repent...... OOOPPS, we goofed..... they will turn towards God and will champion His Cause, and will be martyred for their faith.....

going into a church building every day (or week) no more makes you a Christian, then going into a garage makes you a Fiat or Honda (you pick the make) or going into a pound makes you a dog or cat.

I do not believe it would be condusive to any Christian to say they are an athiest, or agnostic or anything else, this could be looked upon as denying Christ, no matter what the reason....

personally, i do not see how this could be a witness tool, if some one knows your professing to be an athiest, or agnostic, and they are looking for some one that knows Christ, they probably will just leave the person alone and go their way.... an athiest does not have to go out and recruit athiest.... why would they? they do not have a building to meet in, they only have one holiday, they do not have any celebrations, so what is there to recruit for?

if I were to come up to you, and ask if you were a Christian, and you said no, i am an athiest, that would be the start of a witness on my part planting seed, to show you Christ..... I would not be out to convert you right there on the spot, but planting seed is becoming a friend, ( our true wittness is not with our mouths, but with our actions)..... you would be getting a bit of Christ every time we met, until one day... but if you are playing the part of an athiest, you would be wasting my time, and yours, and actually you would be denying Christ.....

a week and half ago, i came close to seeing the Lord, and I was ready to go, I even thought it while i was in the situation..... then when i was given this life back, I was not afraid of what had happened, nor scared..... not for me, but was concerned about many others.... for you see, we never know how long we have, the Lord ( in Gen 6) alloted us 120 years, in Ps 90, is says that there are 3 score 10 and if we are strong 4 score years.... (I believe these are only moses words during a prayer) either way, we do not know the day or hour.....

can you imagine what it would be like if you had just got done telling some one that you were an athiest, with out telling them why, then your soul is required of you? what would you tell the Lord as you stand in the judgement line?

we do not have time to be playing games, Hot or Cold, not luke warm....

I ask you to rethink this.....

v.r.

mike

• Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

This passage comes to mind. It is about those who began practicing "false" worship, rather than "true" worship of God:

Isaiah 65:15 You will leave your name to my chosen ones as a curse; the Sovereign Lord will put you to death, but to his servants he will give another name.

In His Love,

Suzanne

Guest shiloh357
I'm not really becoming atheist - don't let the topic title fool you. But why is it that the secular world has come to accept the name "Christian" to apply to anyone who calls themselves Christian, regardless of what they believe, yet on the other hand, if I claimed to be an Atheist but believed in God, people would tell me I am wrong, or if I was Buddhist but didn't believe in Buddhist teachings they'd tell me I'm not Buddhist.

Such is the double-standard we seem to be always forced to live under, unfortunately.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  77
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

:angel2: from damo1

To Thoughtful

its cool i understand were you and paranoidandroid are coming from and what you have jotted down as you both are also with in your rights to say what is close to your heart

yet this will also be confusing to a new christian and i am constanly making sure that a new believer has the right to grow with out a stumbling block being put in there path as people are human

i was like you both a long time ago i ran into a lot of fake christians my self i was still living on the streets and when i would walk into a church not one person would reach out or say are you ok can i help do you need food this is what nearly turned me of from believing in god

i am not preaching hear i just want to point out what nearly turned me off from following with my heart

in james it says this

james 2 be aware of personal favoritism

2 for if there should come into your assembly a man with gold rings in fine apparel and there should also come a man in 2 filthy clothes

3 and you pay attention to the one wearing the fine clothes and say to him you sit here in a good place and say to the poor man you stand there or sit here or at my footstool

4 have you not shown partiality among your selves and become judges with evil thoughts

5 listen my beloved breathren has god not chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which he promised to those who love him

6 But you have dishonerd the poor man Do not the rich oppres you and drag you into the courts ?

let me say i am so sorry for what you both have experienced and i hear you very well on the sinners prayer as i use to also hate hearing this when not many dared to put into practice to what they preached

i walked into several churches in sydney and i could not stand the looks i got i was hungry i had nothing to eat for 4 days i lived in a run down old building and had not showered for a month and not one person put the hand out and said brother are you ok only one decent person showed me what a real christian was as i came out of jail at the age of 18 and this couple took me into their home fed me allowed me to have a shower and the husband bought me new clothes they spent over 500 on me and there home was my home they taught me how to understand gods word in simple terms and they put their faith into practise and thes people did something not many would do and i am now doing the same to what they did for me when i see a person in need or some one struggling

i pull christians up when i see some one mocking a poor person or home less person i stand up for those that can not stand up for them selves and i do from time to time take people into my own home even though i got taken advantage of sevral times i help out some one in need when ever i can i stand up and speak up for those that cant speak up for them selves and i try to bring a little bit of gods love into a persons life were i can and show that person respect and dignity

and i see no wrong in me doing this

i hear both of you and i understand very well and i hope you can also see that their are caring decent christians out their and not all are robots and i hope you can hear what i am saying hear as a person

as christian i respect for what you have stated hear in this post and mean you both no disrespect

people are people and some times humans blow it big time this does not mean all christians are bad and i am so sorry for what you both have had to experiance as human beings

i was not preaching hear yet i felt i needed to share hear that is all i wil say on this

from damo1

Hiya damo1,

Once again a great testimony to how God has brought you through. He alone is ALWAYS faithful. :thumbsup:

Makes me remember about a wonderful man of God who shared the Gospel wherever he went and the saddest of all, he was most poorly treated by other christians. He had to sleep on hard floors at bus depots under cardboard boxes. None of these other christians offered this man a place to sleep. Can you believe it! It made me cry and I could not believe this happened to him. But the most incredible thing about him - he still to this day is witnessing for Christ. Alleluia :)

I can also understand where the OP is coming from as the longer I have walked with Christ the more I have also seen many brothers and sisters in Christ turn a blind eye to other christians in severe need.

May God forgive our hardened hearts and enable us as we seek Him to help us truly show His love and kindness to all in need.

Remember OP you can make a difference because Jesus Christ lives on the inside of you. You can be that christian that makes a difference in someone else's life. Please don't think of calling yourself an atheist that is not glorifying to God. Man will disappoint you but God NEVER will. :) God will enable you to make His light in you shine out to others. :noidea:

God bless

Estie :angel2:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  591
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  11/27/1979

Sorry PA, but again I have to disagree with your thought process. And actually, I've never met a "Christian" who claimed to not know or hate God. And that would be an "oxymoron" at best for someone to claim so. I'm not sure what your efforts to call yourself "atheist" will get you except wasted attention. I do agree that many more people should make much more efforts to back up what they claim. But that's not very different than you and "thought" sounding as though you've both "given up " on the world. Finally, I don't think I've ever met one "Christian" or want to be "Christian" who has never sinned. As for that, my friend, I'm afraid we're all in the same boat. If you are merely disgusted with the way the world is turning out and those who seem not to care are merely bailing out on it, you're not alone. But, by all means PA , give them some constructive suggestions and/or criticism at best, and refrain from sounding like you're joining in on thier "pity party."
Hi Cajunboy,

I think you have completely misunderstood the point of my thread. I have no real intention of calling myself an atheist (though it might be interesting to do so for a time). I was making a point. Nor was I speaking about simply different interpretations of what a Christian should act like. I'm looking at the complete meaninglessness of the term "Christian" in our modern world. I have an online friend who says back in his homeland (Mexico) calling someone "Christian" is just another way of saying they have a high moral fiber. I have met someone who has never been to church, never read the Bible, wasn't even sure if Jesus even existed, didn't know anything about the teachings of Christ, and still called themselves "Christian". Call it an oxymoron if you wish (which it is), but the secular world would not say so - AND THAT IS THE POINT OF THIS THREAD.

Nor am I saying that Christians are perfect. If anything, Christians admit that they are sinful and do sin, repeatedly. I am not saying that to be a Christian you have to live up to super-human super-perfect standards. My point is to discuss the cheapening of the term "Christian". Know what I mean

~ Regards, PA

• Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

This passage comes to mind. It is about those who began practicing "false" worship, rather than "true" worship of God:

Isaiah 65:15 You will leave your name to my chosen ones as a curse; the Sovereign Lord will put you to death, but to his servants he will give another name.

In His Love,

Suzanne

No really, just think about it for a minute. And then, go and read the Book of Isaiah. This is how it has been according to the Word.

In His Love,

Suzanne