IGNORED

What day of the week should we go to church on?

P_Joseph

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  657
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/15/1959

Actually "Going" to Church and "Being" the church are 2 different things. God has created everyday for us to worship Him for it is by Him that we live and move and have our being.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Content Count:  103
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

"LORD'S DAY" AND "FIRST [DAY] OF THE WEEK - IN CONTEXT

The first day of the week is mentioned eight times in the New Testament.

Matthew 28:1

Mark 16:1, 2

Mark 16:9

Luke 24:1

John 20:1

John 20:19

Acts 20:7, 8

1 Corinthians 16:1, 2

None of these eight texts show that Sunday, or the first day of the week has any sacredness attached to it.

The first five of these texts (Matthew 28:1; Mark 16:1,2; Mark 16:9; Luke 24:1; and John 20:1) simply state that the women went to the tomb early on the morning of the resurrection, and found that Yahshua had already risen from the dead.

The sixth passage John 20:19 says that the disciples were assembled "for fear of the Jews". This scripture is often used as support for the change from the seventh day to the first.

But it clearly does not say this.

The disciples were assembled out of fear not by commandment or to keep sacred or to worship on Sunday. Nor does the text say they were gathered in honour of the resurrection, as it is obvious that they did not know/or even believe then that Christ had risen from the dead

John 20:9 For as yet they did not know the Scripture, that He must rise again from the dead.

Luke 23:56 says that before the resurrection morning they "returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and RESTED THE SABBATH DAY ACCORDING TO THE COMMANDMENT."

Clearly the “commandment” here referred to is the fourth one of the Ten Commandments. So even after Christ's death this day (the 7th) was kept holy by His disciples.

The seventh text is

Acts 20:7 Now on the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul, ready to depart the next day, spoke to them and continued his message until midnight.

Paul was getting ready to depart on the NEXT DAY....which was SUNDAY.

What this passage is referring to is in fact a gathering AFTER the weekly Sabbath (Saturday) at sundown when they came together for the evening meal....(to BREAK BREAD = is an idiom for a MEAL)

The Jewish day runs from sunset to sunset. The Sabbath began at sundown on Friday, and ended at sunset on Saturday. It was after the sabbath had ended on Saturday that they came together to break bread and when Paul spoke until midnight. (what you would call Saturday night)

The eighth text,

I Corinthians 16:1, 2 says "Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. Upon the first day of the week let every man lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come."

Verse 3 reveals what was the purpose of the offering: to take to the needy believers at Jerusalem.

The reason they were told to do this on the first [day] of the week, was because they would have rested on the Sabbath (seventh day)

..and as an aside note: the term (first [day] of the week) could refer to any of the day at the beginning portion of the week...(sunday, monday, tuesday) The word [day] is a translators addition. it should read 'FIRST OF THE WEEK'

In fact, if anyone does have a Greek translation of the NT, you will notice that the word for translated as WEEK throughout, is SABBATON, which when used in this context means the interval between two Sabbaths.

The Sabbath will also be kept in God's Kingdom when Yeshua (Jesus) returns:

Isaiah 66:22 "For as the new heavens and the new earth Which I will make shall remain before Me," says YHWH, "So shall your descendants and your name remain. 23 And it shall come to pass [That] from one New Moon to another, And from one Sabbath to another, All flesh shall come to worship before Me," says YHWH.

If you do a google search for the phrase "Day of the Lord" and you will see that it refers not to a new day of worship....(first day of the week), but to the end time events surrounding the return of Yeshua when he will personally intervene in human affairs.

This is also the theme of Revelation and the Lord's Day that John saw in his vision.

Revelation 1:10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s Day, ...

PR

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  35
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

The seventh day which we in modern days call saturday.

This is the day God decreed as the sabbath .

Actually the sabbath is from sun down friday to sun down Saturday.

But sabbath keepers know when it is.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  35
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I don't get this question

Is it important to keep God's command's ?........ Yes you say

Keeping the sabbath is one of God's commands that is why its important

A person i have been having some conversations with told me i was not a true Christian because i worship on Sundays and Wensdays. To tell the truth I worship Him everyday. But this guy is very persist and said we should worship on Saturdays because God made that day holy PLEASE help me out :blink::rolleyes: yours in Christ joe JHN3:30

Got to say that all these posts are great, even the jokes!

I see this two ways. First, the Bible tells us that when two or more are gathered in His name, He will be with them. To this point, I have church every day.

Secondly, church is for stirring up love, good works and for exhorting one another. I try to do this every day with my Brothers and Sisters.

Why is it important to have one particular day?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I don't get this question

Is it important to keep God's command's ?........ Yes you say

Keeping the sabbath is one of God's commands that is why its important

A person i have been having some conversations with told me i was not a true Christian because i worship on Sundays and Wensdays. To tell the truth I worship Him everyday. But this guy is very persist and said we should worship on Saturdays because God made that day holy PLEASE help me out :blink::rolleyes: yours in Christ joe JHN3:30

Got to say that all these posts are great, even the jokes!

I see this two ways. First, the Bible tells us that when two or more are gathered in His name, He will be with them. To this point, I have church every day.

Secondly, church is for stirring up love, good works and for exhorting one another. I try to do this every day with my Brothers and Sisters.

Why is it important to have one particular day?

The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. That said, I believe that we should worship and obey God everyday and follow the teaching of the Bible everyday. We should get together everyday, even though it would be impossible for everyone to get together, we can do it a few at a time. Why just pick one day? How many people go to church one day a week and live in the world the rest of the week? We, Christians, have to live it every second of our lives ... nothing less. Allow the Holy Spirit to lead you at all times and you will have church every minute of the day.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

and then we have to remember this.....

Rom 14:1 - 10

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

An interesting point:

Ac 13:42 And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath. (what are these Gentile converts doing in the Synagogue on Sabbath listening to Paul preaching. I thought that they gathered on Sunday)

13:43 Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews (Jewish converts) and religious proselytes (Gentile converts) followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God. (Hmm, here Paul tells both Jewish and Gentile converts to continue in the grace of God and come back next Sabbath for preaching and worship. I thought that the christians were to meet on Sunday)

13:44 And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God. ( so here we have the Sabbath being kept in Antioch, at least 10 years after the death of Jesus, for this journey occured after the death of Herod which occured in chapt 12, in the year 44 AD.)

Here is Paul, still keeping the Sabbath and telling the followers of Christ to continue in the grace of God and keep the Sabbath. It seem that Paul was not aware of this Sunday worship that most hold so dear. It would seem that someone was wrong, and it wasn't Paul. Now I wonder is Jesus was aware that He instituted Sunday Worship, for if He didn't institute it, then it isn't of God. I wonder is God is aware that His Holy Day that He created for man, was done away with by man. What do the Scriptures have to say about those who reject the Commandments of God in favor of the commandments of man?

It is also interesting to note that all the Pagans which Paul contended with, gathered together each Sunday in their temples to worship their idols. Can you imagine the outcry that their would have been is Paul had taught the converted Pagans to gather on the same day as they did to worship their idols. Yet Paul is never accused of Sabbath breaking.

It time to confront the truth of the real origin of Sunday keeping. History is very clear as to how it came about and who instituted it and one point is a clear as day, it wasn't God, Jesus or the Apostles, but it very clearly was man, the 'man of sin'.

God Bless,

Dennis

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,973
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/13/1953

A person i have been having some conversations with told me i was not a true Christian because i worship on Sundays and Wednesdays. To tell the truth I worship Him everyday. But this guy is very persist and said we should worship on Saturdays because God made that day holy PLEASE help me out :):laugh: yours in Christ joe JHN3:30

Any day you want because God works on every day of the week.

The fact of the matter is that the day of worship was changed around 312 AD by Constantine the Great but the bible is quit clear on the subject of worship. "Where there are two or three gathered together in My name, there I am will be in the middle of them"

Matthew 18:20. Church is all about worshiping God/Jesus so whether you agree or not on what day one worships. This verse shows that Jesus always honors any gathering with His presents on any day.

This person is probably brainwashed and there is nothing that you can say or show him in the same bible that you and he reads that will wake him up to his being deceived by false doctrinal teaching.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Content Count:  103
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Act 2:1

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I feel any place can be a church when good people gather together to Pray.

I'm bed ridden & have no way to goto church BUT!, I feel my home can be a church on not just Sunday, but any day.