IGNORED

Who are you ok with spanking your children?

Emily~Anne

72 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you ok with spanking your child?

• Only Mom & Dad
    • Only those very, very close to the family such as grandparents
    • Those close to family AND teachers
    • Anytime my child(ren) needs a spanking, anyone is welcome to spank my child(ren)
    • We are flat out anti-spanking altogether

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  0

'If thou 'applaud' him with the rod, he shall not die.'

But one could kill a child through beating.

Shalom Artsy,

Who said a thing about "beating"? That's twisting things.

Spanking is love. Training up a child in the way he/she should go. A loving parent uses spanking as a training method. There is no "beating" involved, so let's not get things muddled.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  74
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  10/12/1978

I believe that spanking is a valid form of discipline. I would have to say it would make me uncomfortable to have someone other than my wife or I spank our kids. My parents raised me and they know a lot about raising kids. If they did spank one of my children I would be uneasy about it, but I trust them. (In reality, my problem is the grandparents letting my kids get away with to much.) I do expect the kids to respect both my wife

Edited by Agape_CTL

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  02/18/1978

Shalom Artsy,

Spanking is love. Training up a child in the way he/she should go. A loving parent uses spanking as a training method. There is no "beating" involved, so let's not get things muddled.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe they're discussing Axxman's idea that the word "Beat" in the Bible is not "beat", and that it somehow isn't a pro-spanking part of Scripture. One of the other definitions for it, evidently, is "applaud" which, in context, is of course nonsense. I believe that's what they're getting at.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  74
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  10/12/1978

The "rod" is discipline, not something you beat a person with vindictively. A parent (in most cases) is the person that cares the most for their child. Parents overlook some things that our kids do wrong. But if we make a habit of this we are asking for heartache, strife, and a disobedient child that will not listen to authority. The child grows up and society (which does not care very much about our child) will discipline the child; that is life. But as parents it is our job and responsibility to teach our child how to behave, so that they can work with society to be successful (to have a happy life.) That is the goal, not to beat our children. The child will think it is unfair that they can

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

The "rod" is discipline, not something you beat a person with vindictively. A parent (in most cases) is the person that cares the most for their child. Parents overlook some things that our kids do wrong. But if we make a habit of this we are asking for heartache, strife, and a disobedient child that will not listen to authority. The child grows up and society (which does not care very much about our child) will discipline the child; that is life. But as parents it is our job and responsibility to teach our child how to behave, so that they can work with society to be successful (to have a happy life.) That is the goal, not to beat our children. The child will think it is unfair that they can

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

Granted it's been a few years, but this is how my wife and I view this.

If I do something wrong and I know it's wrong, first I fear discovery, then once discovered, although fearful, expect punishment to follow the discovery, but, and this is the important part, by the proper authorities.

I don't expect my neighbor to dish out any punishment to me if I have been caught speeding, although I respect his right to "turn me in".

I have been given charge over my children, that makes me the authority over them. However, just as the rule of law prohibits cruel and unusual punishment for members of society...I too as an authority(over my children) am prohibited from applying cruel or unusual punishments.

Now then, just as you do not want or expect anyone else in society to physically assault you, your children have a right not to be assaulted by anyone.

Corpral punishment(spanking) was always reserved for offenses that could have or did 1) Harm another human 2) destroyed property(unintetional destruction not included) 3) any behavior that put them in serious harms way 4) repeated offenses of what would normally be a lecture and time out(3 strike rule).

By the time my childen were 8 or 9 years old, spankings were no longer nessecary....the look and the voice let them know they were headed for trouble. However, the old tap on the head was still used when nessecary.

My wife and I have been very blessed and lucky. Our sons are fine young men that we don't have to worry about.

I believe that a child should receive the reward that matches the crime..... as they would receive the reward that matches the blessings they pour out on others.....

i have to agree with nobdy in this respect also..... that my children fall under my covering and it is my responsibility to see that they stay under my covering as long as they are living under my roof......

in other words, I fall under the covering of Christ, and my wife and children fall under me ( as far as the covering goes)

with out my permission, NO ONE.... ABSOLUTELY NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON has the authority to touch one of my children as long as they are under my covering...... NOT ONE........

with that being said....... if and when my children step out from under my covering, and are on their own, they no longer fall under my covering and will have to cover themselves with Christ, and should they do something that is against the law, they are no longer under my protection (covering) and will have to face the civil authorities ( which i can not undermine) on their own......

now, if one of the children are living under my roof, under my covering, and authority, and break the civil law, it is up to me to ensure that full restitution is made ( this, i believe is how the Bible would say it to be, reading the laws, and knowing how other things are held in accordance with the laws, for instance, if an animal (the Bible says bull) hurts some one (gores) and has never done this before, the animal may live, and the owner has certain things they must do...... but, if the animal has been known to hurt others before, and it has been allowed to live... the owner is responsible....... thus, if a child falls under a mans covering, fathers authority, and the father does nothing about a wrong that continues on ( such as with Eli and his sons ) then the father is to be held responsible for the childs behavior ( as Eli was ) ......

the Word, also tells us that by not providing proper discipline, that we are not doing our job, we are not being good stewards with the gifts God has given us to take care of for a short while....... (the phrase spare the rod, spoil the child, comes to mind)

the punishment must fit the crime......

if a child breaks a window ( even inadvertantly ) they must stand and make compensation accordingly, to learn how to be a man...... I do not recall how many allowances i spent, replacing window glass in the garage door.... it was totally inadvertent however, i did not follow directions, to lift (open) the door before playing basket ball... thus, i broke it, i fix it...... NOW, out of that, came the strength, to stand up for what i have done, and what i have not done, not passing the buck, not hiding what i did (or did not do) and it also taught me how to replace window glass very effeciently.... carving my initials into a 10 year old peach tree awarded me several stripes on my back side, but i also learned that by doing this it can actually cause grave damage to a young tree..... the punishments did not come with out a lesson....... we knew what was done, and what the results of this would be, and we received them.....

being a liar would result in a much greater reward of stripes then just being a thief..... a thief you can trust, a liar you can not..... you know what a thief will do, you have no idea what a liar will do......

if a question was asked, and responsibility was not owned up to, fear ran through the family, for the liar would be found out. some times at a greater cost to the liar then what the liar was or is willing to give up.....

you will also find that the Bible tells us there is no place in the Kingdom for a liar....... that lets you know how God feels about Liars......

i am sure others can tell the same things, but I do believe, the punishment must fit the crime..... a controlled hand on the back side is one thing, a person full of rage, wielding a switch or belt uncontrollably is another......

as the Bible tells us also, that it is not a sin to become angry, but we are not to allow that anger to cause us to sin......

a child does something (breaks a glass that was full of milk, on the new carpet) well, be thankful, that it was not grape juice,

if it was grape juice, be thankful, the child was not injured..... love the child, teach the child......

if the child was playing with matches, teach them fire safety...

if the child was playing with matches, a second time, provide them with some guidance in hand (controlled on the back side)

if the child has not learned, set them down, and write an essay ( depending on the age ) lets say a 10 year old 1000 (thats right, one thousand) words on fire safety, and must include statistics on how many house fires are started with children playing with matches, and include a session of and to backside...

if the child was playing with matches and gasoline, then show them how gasoline does not stay in one place and how it is heavier then air and will travel along the ground and when it is ignited, how it can burn up a kid.... most kids know HOT from a very early age........AND USE COME BACKSIDE TO HAND LOVE.......... (have seen gas ignite 15 foot away from a heat source, that is why water heaters are suppose to be 18 inches off the floor, in test, with water heaters and fire, 18 inches is deemed a safe height).....

corporal punishment has its place, this by all means is not the same as beating a child....

it does not give license to just anyone whooping up on a child..... THAT IS ASSAULT AND BATTERY OF A CHILD, if you do not have permission from the parents.........

my standards are not others, thus, I will determine if some one else shall lay a hand on my child......

if the school calls, and says my child did such and such, and my child claims to be innocent of any wrong doing, then let ther be a trial..... and then, dish out the penalty for the crime..... if the punishment means two swats by a school official, then i will be there to observe and supervise so the child will not recieve it in anger.... but as justice and only according to the rules set forth......

my parents (the childrens grand parents )only have authority if i have given it to them, until then, they can not even spank...

it the children can not respect the authority (when visiting) the grandparents, they do not need to visit.....

mike

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

Shalom Artsy,

If I'm not mistaken, I believe they're discussing Axxman's idea that the word "Beat" in the Bible is not "beat", and that it somehow isn't a pro-spanking part of Scripture. One of the other definitions for it, evidently, is "applaud" which, in context, is of course nonsense. I believe that's what they're getting at.

To clarify...the word "beat" in the bible DOES mean "beat"...however, it also means a lot of other things, including applaud (which I agree makes no sense contextually.) However, other meanings of the word like thrust, push, chastise, subjugate make PERFECT sense in the context and don't require a person to physically strike a child. The word "nakah" covers a WIDE RANGE (everything from applause to killing) why pick the definition that promotes hitting kids?

All of you people keep using the word "spank" as if its some direct translation. The word has only existed since the 1700's so its IMPOSSIBLE to draw a comparison between these "loving" tributes of corporal punishment and the "beating" (nakah) the bible speaks of. The bible doesn't tell us how to lovingly hit our kids, so EVERYTHING you guys discuss on that topic is extra-biblical at best.

• Topic Count:  146
  • Content Count:  2,308
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

Well the bible doesnt tell us exactly how to do alot of things. For example, our speech, we should only speak in a wholesome way. So obviously swear words which I am not going to say here, should not be said. Would you consider that extrabiblical since the bible does not specify the swear words?

And I am sorry, but look at the rest of that verse, and it is clear what the context is.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

When I was a kid, many moons ago, my mom use to make me go out and pick my own switch from the lilac tree. Those little thin branches really stung! You could bet your life that I would not repeat that offense again!

OneLight

• Topic Count:  171
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

Proverbs 23:12-14 (King James Version)

King James Version (KJV)

Public Domain

12Apply thine heart unto instruction, and thine ears to the words of knowledge.

13Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.

14Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.

Here's where I got the word 'beat' from.

I did have one child of my own who is now 23 as well as about 12 foster children under the age of 7 over the last 4 years.

I'm not saying that I believe it absolutely wrong to spank your child. However, what's to stop someone from beating a child with a rod? I have to agree with Axxman that the rules surrounding spanking have been completley made up - ex on the butt, don't leave a mark etc, under a certain age, above a certain age, etc etc. We ALL know it would be harmful to do certain things while spanking.

There are just reasons that I think a different interpretation might fit better. And I have seen it where spanking did not work with a child.