• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

RAWALPINDI, Pakistan - Pakistan opposition leader Benazir Bhutto was assassinated Thursday in a suicide bombing that also killed at least 20 others at a campaign rally, a party aide and a military official said.

"At 6:16 p.m. she expired," said Wasif Ali Khan, a member of Bhutto's party who was at Rawalpindi General Hospital where she was taken after the attack.

A senior military official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to comment, confirmed that Bhutto had died.

Her supporters at the hospital began chanting "Dog, Musharraf, dog," referring to Pakistan's president Pervez Musharraf. Some of them smashed the glass door at the main entrance of the emergency unit, others burst into tears.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE.

Yahoonews.com

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Content Count:  7,928
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/23/1964

This is terrible news.

I heard about the bombing on BBC News 24 a few hours ago, but it said that she had already left before the bombing, and wasn't in any danger :thumbsup:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I've been trying to make sense out of what is going on over there - and not making it too well. If I recall correctly, Pres. Pervez Musharraf claimed to have put Bhutto under house arrest a few times for her protection (?). Someone please correct me here if I am recalling incorrectly.

If so, did this assassination take place by the ones Musharraf was trying to protect her from?

Or does he have any responsibility in this?

For sure, though, there are many who are holding him responsible.

Things are not going well over there. The country could easily be torn apart . . . and this could open the door for not so nice forces to take control (if you know what I mean). :thumbsup:

Pray

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  156
  • Content Count:  3,454
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Birthday:  07/02/1969

I am saddened by this. She was a positive force in the region and Pro-American. She had nothing but good things to say about the U.S. and wanted only to start her country on the path to become like the U.S. Many have said that Islam and democracy do not mesh well and this only serves to reinforce that belief. I feel sorry for those people who live under such oppressive governments and when finally they find someone who would lead them to creating a better life, the forces of evil strike that leader down. But, somehow people like Castro, Hitler, Saddam and Putin manage to stay in power and have people who admire and follow them. Had Saddam not been removed he would, no doubt, still be in power and like his peers would still be maintaining power through propaganda, fear and violence.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Content Count:  7,928
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Birthday:  03/23/1964

It's merely another example as to the depths that these evil murderers will go to in order to further their agenda......which is instability both in the region, and the world.

The saddest thing, I think, is that these people (and their supporters), actually believe that they are doing something GOOD by blowing themselves, world leaders and innocent civilians up. :emot-heartbeat:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

I cried when I heard this yesterday.. Her death will not be in vain the lord had spoken to me. We will see turmoil but let us see through to what Jesus already sees... the finished product. patricia1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  140
  • Content Count:  1,846
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  01/05/1987

If she had gotten back in power, she intended to strengthen ties with Israel. Sadly, that dream is over. May God watch over her soul, and heal her former country.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

...when finally they find someone who would lead them to creating a better life, the forces of evil strike that leader down. But, somehow people like Castro, Hitler, Saddam and Putin manage to stay in power and have people who admire and follow them.

That's because people like us don't go around killing those we disagree with. In the words of Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG-1), "That's what makes us the good guys."

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  158
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  07/20/1984

...when finally they find someone who would lead them to creating a better life, the forces of evil strike that leader down. But, somehow people like Castro, Hitler, Saddam and Putin manage to stay in power and have people who admire and follow them.

That's because people like us don't go around killing those we disagree with. In the words of Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG-1), "That's what makes us the good guys."

It is very sad to think what human beings are doing to their own kind. Whats even sadder is what damnation their soul will have to face. As for Bhutto, She was a beautiful 54 year old woman. Intelligent, kind, and from what I knew wanted to help many people. She left behind a husband and 3 children. They tried to assisinate her 2 times prior to this, and was exiled. But had just recently returned to pakistan. She didnt have enough security and when stated she responded by "God will protect me".... Its very unfortunate and her family is in my prayers.

Love-

Heatherxoxoxox :whistling:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  160
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  10/26/1950

Mansoor Ijaz wrote an interesting article on Bhutto. Here is a portion:

"I knew Benazir well. I am often blamed by her supporters for having helped bring her government down in 1996 by exposing her hypocrisy and corruption in two Wall Street Journal Op-Ed pieces. We remained in touch over the years after she went into exile, even developing a begrudging respect for each other over time. She struck me as a terribly conflicted person who deep in her heart wanted to save Pakistan from its evils, but was unable to put her personal lifestyle choices aside in doing so. But I firmly believe that she loved Pakistan, and for all her faults, had returned there this time to turn a new page in its troubled political history. We should remember her for her courage to stand up in the face of incalculable odds to bring some semblance of sanity to the disaster that Pakistan has become."

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/1228/p09s01-coop.html

She was a courageous and intelligent woman.