IGNORED

Mental Illness, why is it treated as a sin?

Vickilynn

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

I believe in God's sovereignty. I believe God is the potter and that He makes everyone according to His purpose.

"We are the clay, and thou are Potter; and we all are the work of thy hand." Isaiah 64:8b

"The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil." Proverbs 16:4.

I think mental illness is treated as a sin because it is regarded as an excuse for our behavior. Generally it is regarded as an excuse for sin. Did God create mental illness? If not, then it is man-made. If God did create mental illness, and mental illness generally leads to sin...then we must conclude that His purpose for them is not Holy.

I tend to believe that mental illness is a man-made affliction supported by secular humanism. I believe that God uses that affliction for His purpose. That does not, however, preclude God or His people from viewing mental illness for exactly what it is....sin!

I am so insulted but trying not to get angry here, I KNEW when my son was a few weeks old that there was something "wrong" with him, I tried to get Doctor's to listen but they just chalked it up to "new mothers" syndrome if you had lived through what I did with this child when he growing up, you would feel insulted right now also. Are physical illnesses, sin? Your brain is an organ just like the heart or kidney, why can't it be sick just like those????

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I have worked with mental illness in the past and can testify that these people show more love then a lot of "normal" people. To say that they are this way because of sin is judging them to the most. I believe they hold a special place in our Lords heart.

OneLight

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

I am so insulted but trying not to get angry here, I KNEW when my son was a few weeks old that there was something "wrong" with him, I tried to get Doctor's to listen but they just chalked it up to "new mothers" syndrome if you had lived through what I did with this child when he growing up, you would feel insulted right now also. Are physical illnesses, sin? Your brain is an organ just like the heart or kidney, why can't it be sick just like those????

Hey Scarlet...you are always so kind to me, and you know that I would NEVER intentionally hurt you. Physical illness and mental illness are MILES apart. Although, physical illness can cause mental illness. I think the issue is when you have otherwise healthy people who claim an illness to excuse their sin.

I do deal with mental illness on almost a daily basis...I also work closely with psychologists and consult with them on an almost constant basis. I have also taken college accredited courses in order to work with the mentally ill.

Hey Scarlet...you are always so kind to me, and you know that I would NEVER intentionally hurt you. Physical illness and mental illness are MILES apart. Although, physical illness can cause mental illness. I think the issue is when you have otherwise healthy people who claim an illness to excuse their sin.

But, Axx...........other than the few, who basically want to imply there are no real "mental illnesses" that is not what the rest of us are talking about here, we are talking about real mental illness. Which does exist, irregardless of what some are trying to imply!

I have worked with mental illness in the past and can testify that these people show more love then a lot of "normal" people. To say that they are this way because of sin is judging them to the most. I believe they hold a special place in our Lords heart.

OneLight

"As he walked along, he saw a man blind from dirth. His disciples asked him, 'Rabbi, who sinned this man or his parents, that he was born blind?' Jesus answered, 'Neither this man nor his parents sinned; he was born blind so that God's works might be revealed in him.'" - John 9:1-3

An illness, mental or physical, is not a sin.

:) Thanks Rufus!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  146
  • Content Count:  2,308
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

It's good to be aware of mental illness. A person whose mental illness is not recognized is the one most at risking of doing serious harm I think. (to both themselves and others around them)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

Damo...you are confusing definitions and discussing two different topics.

Autism and Downs syndrome are NOT mental illnesses and have NO PLACE in this discussion. Those are genetic birth defects. We are discussing why otherwise healthy people blame their sins on mental defects...not people who were born with gene defects in their brains. People with down syndrome or autism experience mental illness as a direct result of faulty genetic issues.

You are getting upset at people's opinions for no reason.

damo1

to Axx man

i am not getting up set at all and i do not let this effect me in what i am doing know or the people i have gotten to know my sons grand mother told me she had two christians try this stunt with mark to the point were the pastor saw this and rebuked these two christians in love

i know what is being talked in this topic as we see this also but what i am saying is this when you have had people on heavy medication settle in to a church you need to approach this in a way it is not offending no one

we had one lass who use to see demons around her and we knew her very well so we knew how to handle her and what worked is prayer and she felt very peace full but when you have christians who know nothing about what a person has been threw to the point of them trying what they read from gods word can become very dangerouse

and this is one thing we do not allow no one to do with the people we have in this church that do have mental ilness

you cant just say they are using this as an excuse its like saying you have no faith in gods word and if you do not have faith in gods word god can not set you free

i can honestly tell you this if it can be possible for mark to be free from his autisem to were i do not have to worry how he is going to adjust as an adult in the real world i would have done this my self

what i have learnt is this also some times god will not heal a person but he will work from with in to were you see big changes what we want and what god wants for that person are two diffrent things

god can still work on a person with mental ilness and he can change that person from with in it does not mean they are using this as an excuse to get people to feel sorry for them selves

my pastor holds training courses that way our members know how to handle people who have mental health problems and we have some good mental health workers who are willing to give out advice

by no way am i getting up set but i am also with in my rights to air my concerns when it comes to topics like this

my pastor wil get ph calls from other pastors asking if he can take on more people because we cant handle them that is why i said its a bit un fair with the double standards i see and how the door can be open for one group of people and then you shut the door hard for these preciouse brothers and sisters and say sorry we cant have you among us or settled in our churches

god bless from your brother in the lord damien stipic

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

But, Axx...........other than the few, who basically want to imply there are no real "mental illnesses" that is not what the rest of us are talking about here, we are talking about real mental illness. Which does exist, irregardless of what some are trying to imply!

I'm afraid I am one of those. I think that there are birth defects that affect the brain and cause mental illness. I think those are documented and are considered physical illnesses. But, I do not believe in mental illness as a sickness. I do not believe in an illness that makes an otherwise healthy person involuntarily sin.

For example (and I know this will step on toes, but it is part of the OP)

Eating disorders

Narcissism

Tourettes

Depression

Phobias

Panic disorders

OCD

PTSD

Schizo and Dementia often have genetic input so I'll pass on them. I would add that I think the drug culture has added to the genetic problems that lead to those disorders. I think that all of the mental illnesses I listed have a common cure.

BTW...I do not look down on those people. I pray for them and hope that they possess the faith to accept the cure.

• Topic Count:  146
  • Content Count:  2,308
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

Just so everyone is aware, autism is NOT a mental illness, it is a developmental disability.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  543
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  10/15/1966

I believe in God's sovereignty. I believe God is the potter and that He makes everyone according to His purpose.