• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

I read the bible with a certain set of contexts. I was born in the US and grew up in the US and went to an Evangelical Bible college in the US. Later, I have lived in many different cultures, in many places. So, my context when I read the Bible colors the way I understand what I read. I see things in the Hebrew that I never saw in English.

I read the same Bible as my friend Moshe but Moshe is an Orthodox Jewish man and he sees things much differently than I. It's not that Moshe is wrong either. He has wonderful insights that often set me on whole new pathways of Bible study. But you see, Moshe and I get along just fine. He doesn't see Jesus the same way I see our beloved Messiah but it's not my job to make Moshe see Jesus. That is the job of the Holy Spirit. I have other friends who don't see all of the things in the Bible that I see. This is not a real problem to me either. I say the same about them as I say about Moshe. It is God's job to reveal Himself. I am willing to do anything the Lord asks me to do in the process if I can be part of that revelation. But still, if it depends on me teaching the world everything I know about the Bible and God, the world will be a poorer place than if we all depend on God to reveal Himself.

I see what you're saying and definitly agree.. just becuase we do'nt see eye to eye, does not mean we can't have fellowship, but how much fuller is that fellowship when we share it in Jesus Christ?

Boy, my pastor and I have gotten into some interesting discussions on the Revelation some time ago, but may I mention that we see the same plan of salvation, that we see the same on many important doctrines? There is fellowships even when there is a lack of unity even in the sense that you mentioned between a Christian and an Orthodox Jew, but how much sweeter woudl it be if your friend was saved?

I have MANY "friends" who aren't saved, and yeah, we have lots of fun.. we can joke about things, yeah, be serious about some, etc.... but when was the last time some of my friends and I coudl spend some time in prayer? How about sitting down and talking about a bible verse that the Lord showed one of us taht morning? One can even have fellowship with a lost person, but how much more sweet is it when there is unity?

I have can fellowship with someone who is saved but believes certain others things like cursing is alright, men can have long hair (he does have long hair), that it doesnt' matter what version of the bible you have, etc... but when it comes to those subjects, we argue and there is this rift that is there where we can't discuss certain topics and I KNOW there are things that he just won't understand.... when I told him I had been doubting my salvation and that I had gone for assurance of salvation and I was questioning getting re-baptized, he didn't understand.... He doesn't understand when I talk about some things from church not because he isn't smart (He's REALLY intelligent), and yeah, we are great friends and we have fellowship, but he just doesn't understand certain things... we don't see eye to eye on particular parts of the bible and thus there are basically topics that are almost labeled taboo for us to talk about ..

Tehilah, how much can you talk to you friend about Christ?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  139
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,213
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

Hey Everyone :(

Um well, this message has kind of been a concern of mine for a while, but it's not what the title is saying, but rather, dealing with that.

I fully support and I am completely thankful of the many who have asked this question on the boards "Why can't we all just get along?" and I feel that we shoudl be able to to some extent, being Christians, etc.

However, what if that question had a question for an answer, instead of it being the rhetorical question with the expected response? Why can't we all just get along? Well, why can't we all have the same doctrine or even the same bible?

This has really been bothering me for a while and I try not to say it to much considering the circumstances, but I'm truly longing for an answer to this... Why can't we get along? What if the answer is becuase so many of us have different beliefs, despite that "We are all Christians" and "We are all brothers and sisters in Christ"? The Paul, through the inspiration of the Holy Ghost, spoke to the church of Corinth about having divisions among them. No, obviously, this is not a church being that a church is local and not universal or "everyone who is saved". The word church means "A called assembly" of born-again baptized believers... While it IS a great place for fellowship, ask questions, have studies, look at aspects of God's Word and various verses, sometimes advice and sometimes prayer, and of course, have fun (throw food :emot-fail: ), could it be that we don't always get along becuase we have such a vast different in doctrine??

Seriously, sometimes it DOES come down to think with salvation such as whether or not one is saved by baptism, despite that there is a TOS and a faith statement here that says that we are NOT saved by baptism as is biblical, but that is not the point that I'm getting at. Or is it? How many times have I been in the chat room and someone said they know they are saved becuase they were baptized and everyone says "Amen!"? Yes, it seems that most of us hold to that one isn't saved by being good, etc, but somethign even as important as baptism?

There are many things that don't deal with salvation... speaking in tongues, healings, dreams.... These are MAJOR things in the bible and can we really just keep sugar coating it saying "Agree to disagree" or "You believe this, I believe this.. let's just overlook it at get along". Is that really how it should work?

If someone says "I had this dream, please help me to know what to do" how can I say to that person, even with as much love, that that isn't biblical without offending someone else? Offending the person I'm trying to help, that's one thing, but offending everyone else around me... what good is that?

Why is it that we can't even agree on what the Word of God is?? We have to talk about the RSV, the NKJV, the NIV, PURPOSEFULLY put down those who hold to that the KJV is pure word of God... we talk about the NASB, and the TNIV, etc... Don't forget the discussions going back about church fathers, and things about Westcott and Hort, and Sinaiticus and Vaticanus... we'll talk about the 1611 version and God's ability (or lack thereof) to preserve his Word, or even that "They are all God's Word" or my favorite, "Someoen can still get saved from them". As "brothers and sisters in Christ" why can't we even agree on one single bible?

I'm not saying I doubt everyone's salvation, certainly not I don't know everyone's heart and I trust that many on here ARE saved... I cherish the fellowship that so many of us have had... sure, I've only been here about four years (no where near as long as others), but this seems to keep coming up... "Why can't we all just get along".

My quesiton is "Why can't we all agree on God's Word"? That means doctrines, that means even something as simple as to what is the Word of God... if the NASB and the NIV are different, one says one thing and one says something else (even another way), and if one is the Word of God, does it not make sense that the other can not be? If one is perfect and hte other one has errors, then "the other one" must be the work of the devil, right?

We say "Let's come together as brothers and sisters in Christ" and "let's all get along" and "let's agree to disagree". There is nothing wrong with getting along, there is nothing around with fellowship, but how much sweeter a fellowship is when there is agreement on something as SIMPLE as God's Word... something as SIMPLE as salvation....

Why can't we all agree, instead of always agreeing to disagree?

Very interesting article kittylover.

Keep in mind even though we are saved we still have to deal with a sin nature so (you and I) not being perfect yet have to obey Gods commandment by forgiving our brother 70 times 7 as the bible (Word) says. This is why we must not be offended by our brothers and let our differences divide us. If we practiced this we (most) would all get along.

Now we must also realize that the enemy has infiltrated churches with the teachings of man and not God! As long as the enemy has a foothold in the body their will be division. Just today in Church I had to listen for over 30 minutes to the preacher go through all the programs activities in the church. I thought I was going to die of boredom before he finished.

I would guess 99% of all churches do this.

Could you imagine what it would be like if Church started and sometime in the meeting we all got together and planned how to feed the hungry and cloth the poor and housed them in our community in stead of wasting time with useless programs that cater to our needs?

What did Christ call us to do, fulfill our needs or the poor?

I think if when we focus on others instead of US then we may get along better! :whistling:

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.21
  • Days Won:  115

If you take a picture and show it to 10 people, one at a time, and have them tell you what they saw, you would get 10 different answers. So is the Christian life. We are all different. Because of this, God works differently in each of our lives. He can use the same piece of scripture and apply it to each of our lives in different ways, all being true to what He is telling us. Yet, because He used a piece of scripture to show me something different then what He is showing you, we may have a different understanding. Instead of accepting what God has done is others lives, we stand firm on what He had done in our own life; therefore, how I understand this scripture is true, so you must be wrong. Sad, I know ... If it was from God, it all is true. We need to accept that God sees us as individuals and deals with us in such a way.

A very simplistic view, but this is how I understand the problem.

OneLight

You know whats funny. Though those 10 people may tell you different answers you will still have a complete picture from each individual answer. The point is this one person does not hold the full picture. It takes the WHOLE BODY, to see Christ in a full way. It's sad that we are not as pliable as we should be.

I agree! We are too set in our ways. Is it pride?

If you take a picture and show it to 10 people, one at a time, and have them tell you what they saw, you would get 10 different answers. So is the Christian life. We are all different. Because of this, God works differently in each of our lives. He can use the same piece of scripture and apply it to each of our lives in different ways, all being true to what He is telling us. Yet, because He used a piece of scripture to show me something different then what He is showing you, we may have a different understanding. Instead of accepting what God has done is others lives, we stand firm on what He had done in our own life; therefore, how I understand this scripture is true, so you must be wrong. Sad, I know ... If it was from God, it all is true. We need to accept that God sees us as individuals and deals with us in such a way.

OneLight

You know whats funny. Though those 10 people may tell you different answers you will still have a complete picture from each individual answer. The point is this one person does not hold the full picture. It takes the WHOLE BODY, to see Christ in a full way. It's sad that we are not as pliable as we should be.

Whats sad is that we've taken an Absolute Truth like the Bible and twisted it and turned it and perverted it and pimped it out to millions and made it what we want it to be. Which is why there are so many different views and doctrine and beliefs all about the same gospel.

If we are any more pliable we might just end up drowning in our own dissention. We need to move toward a unification of the Body of Christ.

That is what the "One World Religion" is trying to do. It has a name, but I can't remember what it is ...

It would be nice to have all the teaching of Christ to read. It would also be nice to have a true history of the early church. Then we would all be studying and not arguing ... there would be no time to discuss anything!

OneLight

I agree! We are too set in our ways. Is it pride?

I dont know brother, I often think we are just use to it.

How sad if this is true. I would rather know my sin then have moss growing under my beliefs! You said it right when you mentioned that we need to be flexible.

I mention pride because of all the pointing of fingers about what one believes compared to another. "I'm right and you're wrong!"

One Light

I'm not speaking of a one world religion. What im talking about is Christians coming together and unifying under one doctorine, and one belief system, because thats how Jesus' and his disciples preached it. We do have a way to see the true history of the early church. It's called preterism.

Yes, I know how you believe. Yet, I see Revelation as something still to come. This is not a place to discuss this issue, and to be truthful, I don't want to bang heads over your belief system.

I'll stick with what the Holy Spirit wants to teach me.

OneLight

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  166
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  03/08/1950

it's the ego saying i'm right and your wrong. i'm sure GOD had HIS reasons for allowing us to have an ego. jim

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

Statement of Faith

We believe in God, the almighty creator of heaven and earth.

We believe in the triunity of God. We believe that God is eternally One, and also eternally the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit -- the three being distinct, but not separate. Each Person of the Godhead coexists from everlasting to everlasting.

We believe in the Messiah, Jesus, God's only begotten son, God come in the flesh. He was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary. He suffered under Pontius Pilate. He was crucified, died and buried. On the third day, He rose and ascended into heaven. Now He is seated at the right hand of the Father and He will return to judge both the living and the dead and reign for evermore.

We believe all mankind are sinful and are therefore subject to God

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  255
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  01/08/1963

Why can't we all agree, instead of always agreeing to disagree?

Because most Christians have no clue what being a Christian is really all about: It is about having our minds set aside and the Mind of Christ born and operating in us. There is NO disunity in the Mind of Christ -- NONE! If you see disunity, you are witnessing the minds of men at work. The minds and thoughts of men are desperate to feeding thier own flesh and the lusts of it. Disunity is comes from the mind, thoughts, emotions and lusts of the flesh of people -- NOT the Mind of Christ.

There is no shadow of turning in the Mind of Christ, the Mind of God, the Spirit of God -- NONE. If you are asking people to "get along" in their own minds, thoughts, emotions and lusts -- then -- you are asking for the impossible. It will never happen -- NOT EVER!

What we are to be seeking is the Mind of Christ in us, the setting aside of our own minds for His in us and in THIS we find unity. Here is the point of worthwhile striving (labor and work).

Php 3:14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Php 3:15 Let us therefore, as many as are perfect, be of this mind. And if in anything you are otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this to you.

What is the calling of God? The calling of God is to have "Christ formed in us"

Gal 4:19 My children, for whom I again travail until Christ should be formed in you,

This was the goal of Paul -- FIRST -- for himself and then for those around him. This was his ministry -- To see Christ formed IN people (The Mind of Christ in us). Look at what Paul wrote in Philippians above: "Let us therefore, as many as are perfect, ..." <-- perfect? perfect? What in us can possibly be "perfect" (mature -- fully formed)?

G5046 τέλειος teleios tel'-i-os From G5056; complete (in various applications of labor, growth, mental and moral character, etc.); neuter (as noun, with G3588) completeness: - of full age, man, perfect.

None of these things is possible with US -- with OUR minds -- NOT ONE THING! BUT -- with the Mind of Christ in us; His mind in us -- they are not only possible, but expected and normal. The fruit of the Spirit working in us is His mind in us. From His mind comes His thinking, then His emotions, then His works, His words, His actions and so on.

In Him in us -- His mind in us -- there is NO disunity, no arguing, no pandering, no shadow of turning -- NONE. There is unity of faith, unity of Spirit, unity in Christ and in the Father. Read John chapter 15 to read about Jesus describing it.

You want us to all get along? Then we all need to have the Spirit of God, the Mind of Christ in us, His mind forming in us.

Final note -- disunity is a signal. It is a road-sign. What is the signal and road-sign pointing at and warning us of?

DANGER: Human Mind at Work! Get the Mind of Christ by the Spirit NOW!

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  255
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  01/08/1963

We believe in ...

We believe in the ... . We believe that ... .

We believe in the ... .

We believe all ... .

We believe that ... .

We believe that ... .

We believe in the ... .

We believe that ... .

We believe in the ... .

We believe that the ... .

Honestly -- I could care less what "We believe". What I am deeply concerned and interested to know is what God thinks: His mind, not mine, not yours, not a man -- HIM! I don't need more opinions, thoughts and mental noise from the trash-heap of the human mind! What I need is the Mind of Christ dwelling in me, forming in me, working in me, His thoughts by His Spirit and then the emotions, words and actions flowing from Him formed in me working out in my life! You need the same. So do we all.

Try setting aside what "We believe" and start working towards prayerfully asking the Lord Jesus Christ, by His Spirit to form His Mind IN you, setting aside ALL of your thoughts and taking up His. This is my aim and my target, this is my focus and hunger. I am deeply, deeply, deeply sinful and wicked and in great need of His mind. I am not worthy, I am unworthy, I am a sinner to the core of my being and sold to sin, my mind enslaved to the lusts of the flesh and the sin in it. As Paul said, Who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God ... Jesus Christ, His work, His death, His resurrection and Him alive, His Spirit in me and His Spirit forming His mind in me.