• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/08/1967

Not discounting the fact that I have done the same things that I am going to ask anyway, hoping that it will convict us and make us stop and think about wheather or not we are truly building blocks to the Kingdom of God or if the fruits of our "labors" will be burned in the fire...

I am wondering is what drives people to think that the long drawn out debates, the heated and rude treatment of each other and the self-righteous attitudes, whether right or wrong in the conversation, is something that God smiles upon?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.08
  • Days Won:  78

Not discounting the fact that I have done the same things that I am going to ask anyway, hoping that it will convict us and make us stop and think about wheather or not we are truly building blocks to the Kingdom of God or if the fruits of our "labors" will be burned in the fire...

I am wondering is what drives people to think that the long drawn out debates, the heated and rude treatment of each other and the self-righteous attitudes, whether right or wrong in the conversation, is something that God smiles upon?

If any of us think that God approves of such behavior....we are wrong. I have been guilty of this myself. :rolleyes:

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.21
  • Days Won:  115

No matter where it is, God never smiles on sin.

Guest Biblicist

Not everyone has a self-righteous attitude when they are posting. Sometimes a post may sound rude when it is in fact only the way the reader sees it. God knows the heart, and we would do well not to try to do His job.

Sometimes you need to look past what you think the person is implying, and just read what they are saying. I think that is what gets the arguments going in the first place. I know it bother's me when someone reads something into my post that is not there, or attributes an emotion to my post that I'm not feeling.

Sometimes you need to look past what you think the person is implying, and just read what they are saying. I think that is what gets the arguments going in the first place. I know it bother's me when someone reads something into my post that is not there, or attributes an emotion to my post that I'm not feeling.

exactly :rolleyes: I have felt the very same way..

Not everyone has a self-righteous attitude when they are posting. Sometimes a post may sound rude when it is in fact only the way the reader sees it. God knows the heart, and we would do well not to try to do His job.

and so that everyone understands, I have not even implied that everyone does. If we can all truly search our hearts and find that we have never crossed the line by mistreating someone in a discussion, then perhaps those who can maybe they have suggestions to help those of us who have.

But you make a good point "sometimes a post may sound rude when it is in fact only the way the reader sees it"..if when this does happen, would we not be better serving to one another in an attempt to soften ourselves in those cases...both the reader AND the writer.

• Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

Shalom Bibs,

This is the absolute truth and you hit it right on. Many times, it is the READER who has mis-read the post, assumed the worst and flies off on a tangent.

It is the responsibility of the READER to make sure of what the person is really saying, before they falsely accuse. And to do, the reader must ask if they are unsure. And not assume anything.

BTW Jackie, Emily Anne started this same thread and it was closed rather quickly.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

I agree that many times the typed version of the thoughts and feelings in our heads and hearts are two different things. Maybe we need to use more emoticons :rolleyes:

I have seen some very heated debates, though. They usually run me off! Basically I am a chicken (where's the chicken emoticon?). There are some threads that I avoid because I know I can't trust myself to be nice. :laugh:

If I have offended anyone, I am sorry. It's my keyboard that's rude, not me. :24:

<>< ><>

Nathele

I agree that many times the typed version of the thoughts and feelings in our heads and hearts are two different things. Maybe we need to use more emoticons :rolleyes:

I have seen some very heated debates, though. They usually run me off! Basically I am a chicken (where's the chicken emoticon?). There are some threads that I avoid because I know I can't trust myself to be nice. :laugh:

If I have offended anyone, I am sorry. It's my keyboard that's rude, not me. :24:

<>< ><>

Nathele

I've often wished for different emoticons to convey what the keyboard is incapable of and that without hearing my voice or looking into my eye, there is no way for someone to see the reality of my words...

there are verses in the bible that tells us to choose our words carefully, it tells us (not in these words) to take into careful consideration the words we use because words can be deadly weapons...and with all the messed up heated conversations that goes on between us I just wonder how often this is taken into consideration? I mean after all we are a group of people that believe the word of God and His commandments...so is this commandment really considered?

There are times myself when I am doing okay and nothing at all will spark that desire to speak out of line to someone and then at other times it doesn't seem to matter how someone says something to me, I take it totally wrong...Am I truly alone in this? I think not because we are all made up of the same stuff.....

So what is the solution? Do we just avoid people we don't like or that we can never seem to have a civil conversation with? Truthfully I don't want to have to do that and I don't want people to dislike me so much that they can neither speak decently to me or feel the need to completely ignore me....someone told me to choose a different circle...and I was shown the ignore options, and I am using it but still even seeing that little message that I have chose to ignore this person or that person, bothers me....

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  146
  • Content Count:  2,308
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

I started to post this earlier, decided not to and saved it instead. I then prayed over this. After much prayer I realize this simply needs to be said. So here goes...

I have children, I am not fooled by temper tantrums and emotional outbursts. I look at the actual situation and do not let the person's emotional display define the situation. Anybody can play the victim card, but it doesnt make them a victim. It is starting to seem like some people are too eager to be a 'victim' and want to point fingers, and as a result, they judge very wrongly the other person's intentions.

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

I started to post this earlier, decided not to and saved it instead. I then prayed over this. After much prayer I realize this simply needs to be said. So here goes...

I have children, I am not fooled by temper tantrums and emotional outbursts. I look at the actual situation and do not let the person's emotional display define the situation. Anybody can play the victim card, but it doesnt make them a victim. It is starting to seem like some people are too eager to be a 'victim' and want to point fingers, and as a result, they judge very wrongly the other person's intentions very wrongly.

Shalom Emily Anne,

I'm SO glad you posted this! It really DID need to be said. It's so much easier to blame the "other person" for our offense to a post, when in fact, we are in control of it.