• Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Report: 1 in 4 Britons Think Winston Churchill Never Existed

Monday, February 04, 2008

One in four Britons don't believe wartime Prime Minister Winston Churchill existed, according to a recent survey.

Churchill is compared to Florence Nightingale and Sir Walter Raleigh, seen by many survey respondents as a mythical person, the London Daily Mail reported Monday.

The survey, conducted with 3,000 respondents to test their general knowledge, reported other historical figures such as Indian leader Mahatma Gandhi, Cleopatra and the Duke of Wellington were made up for books and films, the Mail reported.

The survey, by UKTV Gold, also found that Sherlock Holmes was a real person.

Young Britons under 20 lack a basic historical education according to the survey results, historian Correlli Barnett told the Daily Mail.

"This suggests a complete lack of common sense and respect for our greatest heroes of the past," Barnett said.

Source

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

Amazing but not surprising.

I'd bet that we're (the USA) not much better. :laugh:

People are so focused on the "here and now" that they have totally lost sight of the sacrifice of others throughout history that has enabled them to enjoy the freedoms they possess but yet do not respect or appreciate.

Short memories...

If it wasn't for Winston Churchill, a good arguement can be made that Great Britain would never have declared war on Germany and the landscape of our modern day world would be significantly different...for the worse. Nazism, Fascism and Imperialism would be in control and Israel would not exist. The United States would be relegated to a 2nd rate power...all because Hitler would not have forced to fight a two-front war.

Winston Churchill was the right man at the right time in history.

Sad he doesn't get the respect he earned and deserves.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

People are so focused on the "here and now" that they have totally lost sight of the sacrifice of others throughout history that has enabled them to enjoy the freedoms they possess but yet do not respect or appreciate.

True -

But I would say people are so focused on celebrities, movies, TV, music, sports and other entertainment that they don't care about real history and the real important things in life.

:laugh:

BTW, good write-up on Churchill, Wayne!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,249
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

Report: 1 in 4 Britons Think Winston Churchill Never Existed

Monday, February 04, 2008

One in four Britons don't believe wartime Prime Minister Winston Churchill existed, according to a recent survey.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

True -

But I would say people are so focused on celebrities, movies, TV, music, sports and other entertainment that they don't care about real history and the real important things in life.

:rolleyes:

BTW, good write-up on Churchill, Wayne!

This is so true....I was talking to one of my family about the upcoming election and asked her who she was going to vote for. She didn't know even ONE person, on either side, who was running. She can, however, tell you what Britney was wearing when she was hauled off in an ambulance and the brand of handbags being hawked by Paris Hilton. How sad; she's forty years old! :laugh:

:rolleyes:

This is sad, but not that surprising. People are very much stuck in "here and now" mode, and have little interest in the people who helped shape the past. The education system in the US has been "dumbing down" for years, and this is the result. It would seem the education situation may be similar in the UK.

Here's something frightening: A month or so ago I was in a conversation with a college student who mentioned studying WWII. He had no idea who Hitler was!

If one takes the time to read ''The Protocols of the Elders of Zion" much of this begins to make sense. The Protocols were written prior to WWI by a group of men who wished to overthrow the tzarist regime in Russia. They wrote it in such a way as to make it appear that it was written by a cabal of Jews whose intent was to take over the world. This has been proven to be entirely untrue. Jews were to be used as scapegoats and unfortunately the protocols have in the past been used as an excuse to persecute Jews.

However, the authors of the Potocols is irrelevant for the point I wish to make here. That point being that no matter who wrote them, or what their original purpose was...they do coincide eerily with many things which are going on in today's world. Whether the Protocols are being used as a blueprint by some in our time (almost 100 years since they were authored) can be disputed, but an argument can also be made that they are being instituted.

<snip>

http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/przion5.h...ocol%20No.%2013

This is right on target. The Protocols may be almost 100 years old, but Satan is still the same.............

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

You sure they aren't Americans???

• Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

i know university people who have never heard of Mandela :whistling:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

I love reading about history, but my son doesn't like the subject. He would probably like to have a nickel for every time I have quoted at him, 'Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.'

(Btw, we are working our way through a book on the American Civil War right now.)