• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

Here is a link to quite a few articles and audio from The Berean Call regarding the emerging church. And again I suggest getting a copy of "Faith Undone" by Roger Oakland. You will learn a lot.

<>< ><>

Nathele

Oops --- edited to add the link! http://www.thebereancall.org/search/node/emerging+church

Thank you for posting that link Nathele. I should have thought of that. It would have saved me the trouble of trying to get my point across. It's a site well worth signing up with. :noidea:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  171
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

So this is an 'all roads lead to God" kind of church?

In any case, this is a wake up call to Christians, in that there is a population out there that do not feel welcomed in the traditional church and we need to work on that.

• Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

In any case, this is a wake up call to Christians, in that there is a population out there that do not feel welcomed in the traditional church and we need to work on that.

Why? If someone doesn't care for the Truth of the Word, there's nothing that can be done. We don't have to make apologies. Paul certainly didn't feel the need to. There are just going to be some, who are not receptive to the Truth, and if it's not the Truth of the Word, then you're right, they do need to find a different church, one that does preach the Truth from the Bible and hopefully this will not be the cause of their contempt.

Gal. 1:10 Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ. 11 I want you to know, brothers, that the gospel I preached is not something that man made up.

(notice how Paul makes the distinction between man-made stuff, and the Truth of the Gospel, that cannot be made-up.)

Paul faces the same dilemma that any true man of God today will face, contending with humanism and greed in the pulpit.

1 Thess. 2:1 You know, brothers, that our visit to you was not a failure. 2 We had previously suffered and been insulted in Philippi, as you know, but with the help of our God we dared to tell you his gospel in spite of strong opposition. 3 For the appeal we make does not spring from error or impure motives, nor are we trying to trick you. 4 On the contrary, we speak as men approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel. We are not trying to please men but God, who tests our hearts. 5 You know we never used flattery, nor did we put on a mask to cover up greed--God is our witness. 6 We were not looking for praise from men, not from you or anyone else. As apostles of Christ we could have been a burden to you,

(These types of teachers were around in Paul's time as well, and he contended for the Truth, even in the face of the others who were men pleasers. It wasn't easy, but he did it anyway.)

In His Truth,

Suzanne

I think they don't feel welcomed because of their appearances. If that's the case, that is sad and that needs to change.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

Another site with lots of information is:

http://www.lighthousetrailsresearch.com/researchtopics.htm

This is an index page. Go to the "E" section and there is a drop-down menu under Emerging Church Research. Also look in the "C" section. This site, too, sells many books on the subjece.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  02/08/1967

I think they don't feel welcomed because of their appearances. If that's the case, that is sad and that needs to change.

good point....

• Topic Count:  146
  • Content Count:  2,308
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

When I first became saved, I was a punk. Half my head was shaved, I wore Doc Martens, dressed in just about all black except for my then cherished red plaid kilt. The person who made me feel most welcome was a lady who had long hair to her waist, and wore long beautiful flowing skirts every single day. I never did ask her about the skirts thing. She certainly showed me that one can dress very modestly, feminine and not look frumpy at all, and be very loving towards others who look very 'different'. I am not sure what exactly my point is, but thought I'd share. :emot-giggle:

By the way, I did change my way of dressing shortly after being born again. My punk dress expressd how I felt on the inside before being saved, and once I was saved, my punk dress on the outside no longer matched what was on the inside. :whistling:

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  1,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  02/08/1967

When I first became saved, I was a punk. Half my head was shaved, I wore Doc Martens, dressed in just about all black except for my then cherished red plaid kilt. The person who made me feel most welcome was a lady who had long hair to her waist, and wore long beautiful flowing skirts every single day. I never did ask her about the skirts thing. She certainly showed me that one can dress very modestly, feminine and not look frumpy at all, and be very loving towards others who look very 'different'. I am not sure what exactly my point is, but thought I'd share. :whistling:

By the way, I did change my way of dressing shortly after being born again. My punk dress expressd how I felt on the inside before being saved, and once I was saved, my punk dress on the outside no longer matched what was on the inside. :whistling:

that was a very nice lovely example. The woman did not push and shove how she was or what she thought you should do down your throat or make you in any way feel as if you were committing some kind of doctrinal crime for not dressing in a more modest, feminine and neat way, she set a quiet and meek example and it had an impact that seemed to speak volumes without a beating...thank you Emily~Anne :emot-giggle:

• Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  862
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

Just read some of those links.

Mmmm :th_praying::th_praying::emot-talk: ..... Maybe I was wrong with what I said earlier that the Emerging Church had good churches and some not so good like most denominations, after reading some of those links I have to wonder what it was I was reading before. Maybe the articles I had read were early ones that were trying to encourage it...... It was some time ago.

Emily Anne it was nice to hear about how your life changed.

All too often I have seen people come to church and be told to change their ways by leadership and it hasn't been an inward change through relationship with God, they've changed for leadership and then fallen away because it was just to keep leadership happy and not a reall inward change. For instance we had a couple come to church that were in a defacto relationship, as soon as they gave their lives they were pounced on to change. They were told to stop living in sin, he was to move out and they were not to be together until such time as they married. This all occured, they married and then the stress of all the pressure to "get their lives right" blew their marriage apart. The woman I know has not been to church and her children have a very unstable life. I know this because this lady was once married to my cousin who had a daughter with her, it just turned out she walked into my church one day with her defacto family. The other side of this is that the man that she was with in the defacto relationship had got her out of prostitution, I have no idea if she has gone back to it or not but I do know one of her teen daughters is now pregnant and gone off the rails.

Had this couple not been forced to take these steps so quickly they would have eventually come to that change through their own conviction and I would dare say even still be in the church. These were not christians who chose to live together, these were people of the world who became christians while living together.

This is not the only time I have seen this happen with couples who have given their lives only to see it end the same way. I've also seen it with peoples appearence who are told to change, it's not a matter of relationship with God and they end up falling away never to go back to church.

I'm all for people changing their lives but it has to be a natural change, it can't be forced. It's like 2 magnets that you try and put together with the wrong ends, the more force you try and put them together with the harder they repel each other, but if you have the correct ends of the magnet they easily come to gether and bond naturally.

Maybe this is partially why people are turning to alternatives. I'm not saying comprimise but accept that we all live differnt lives and accomodate.