• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Exactly. :thumbsup:

Guest LadyC

bib, as many heated discussions as we've had at worthy on the merits of waterboarding, i have to ask you.... is your question rhetorical? or have you just avoided those discussions like a plague? (i wouldn't blame you!)

waterboarding is basically dunking a person under water, instilling a paranoia of drowning into the person until they decide to talk. if this was actual torture, there wouldn't be so many reporters lining up to submit to the technique while being videotaped so that they can get ratings on their evening broadcast.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

bib, as many heated discussions as we've had at worthy on the merits of waterboarding, i have to ask you.... is your question rhetorical? or have you just avoided those discussions like a plague? (i wouldn't blame you!)

waterboarding is basically dunking a person under water, instilling a paranoia of drowning into the person until they decide to talk. if this was actual torture, there wouldn't be so many reporters lining up to submit to the technique while being videotaped so that they can get ratings on their evening broadcast.

I thought waterboarding was covering a persons face with a towel and then pouring water onthe towel thus giving them the feeling of being under water and the sensation of not being able to breath.

Dunking someone underwater could accidently drown someone very easily.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  156
  • Content Count:  3,454
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Birthday:  07/02/1969

I was almost certain it was "chinese water torture" where they drip beads of water on your forehead untill you cry uncle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterboarding

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  270
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

-

. . .either way, it is cruel. They are human beings created in the image of God.

If it were one of our sons or daughters , then I'm certain people would look at it differently.

I don't know - however, isn't torturing prisoners of war a violation of the Geneva Convention ????

-

Guest Biblicist

I was asking because I had no idea. I don't normally get into discussions about politics or stuff of that nature. So I really didn't know. Thanks for the explination.

It would take less than one time for me, I'd sing like a Canary. I'm afraid of drowning ~ aquaphobia.

Whatever happened to good old bamboo under the nails or water dripping in the middle of your forehead? :thumbsup: Those Orientals really knew how to get people to talk.

• Topic Count:  156
  • Content Count:  3,454
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Birthday:  07/02/1969

I thought waterboarding was covering a persons face with a towel and then pouring water onthe towel thus giving them the feeling of being under water and the sensation of not being able to breath.

Dunking someone underwater could accidently drown someone very easily.

You were right! You win a cookie! :thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

-

. . .either way, it is cruel. They are human beings created in the image of God.

If it were one of our sons or daughters , then I'm certain people would look at it differently.

I don't know - however, isn't torturing prisoners of war a violation of the Geneva Convention ????

-

Yes. But, technically, the people subjected to this aren't prisoners of war; they are detainees. The Geneva Conventions don't apply.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  653
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  03/26/1977

Well, if it is used on terrorists and will save us from future attacks, I'm all for it. BTW, waterboarding isn't torture.

Torture: (Websters dictionary)

anguish of body or mind : agony b: something that causes agony or pain

2: the infliction of intense pain (as from burning, crushing, or wounding) to punish, coerce, or afford sadistic pleasure

Waterboarding (reference.com)

Waterboarding is a form of torture that consists of immobilizing a person on his or her back, with the head inclined downward, and pouring water over the face and into the breathing passages. Through forced suffocation and inhalation of water, the subject experiences the process of drowning in a controlled environment and is made to believe that death is imminent. In contrast to merely submerging the head face-forward, waterboarding almost immediately elicits the gag reflex. Although waterboarding can be performed in ways that leave no lasting physical damage, it carries the risks of extreme pain, damage to the lungs, brain damage caused by oxygen deprivation, injuries (including broken bones) due to struggling against restraints, and even death. The psychological effects on victims of waterboarding can last for years after the procedure.