The New Economy

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

There are still some Albertson stores in the DFW area. They have done away with the shopping cards that save you on gas, and have gone to the doubling and tripling of coupons.

When I moved to Texas 25 years ago, we had Safeway and Skaggs-Alpha Beta stores. And Winn Dixie just went away in the last couple years.

At the 99 cent stores, I got leftover containers for 99 cents, and they are just as good as the name brands in other stores that are very expensive. Also a spatula that would have been much more, and just as good.

The only problem I have with this is I'm sure all the products come from overseas. One time I asked an employee a question, and she didn't even speak English. That was highly annoying. I'm sure she was illegal.

I'm so smug about always paying bottom dollar that when I find I've spent 50 cents more for something, I'm mad at myself.

I walked up to a woman working at McDonald's here and she didn't speak any English either. Amazing. Kat, you are even cheaper than I am.....and I won the Cheapskate Award for 2007! Just kidding. But I AM frugal. :whistling:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, Albertson's sure did; one of their old stores down here became a local chain grocery store, but another is just empty and has been for years.

One thing I would say is, pay attention to the prices on items at specific stores, so you know at which store to buy which items. Some things will be cheaper at Wal*Mart than at the Dollar General or Dollar Tree.

And another thing - watch the prices at the check-out as they scan your purchases! All too often lately, I will catch the scanned price being higher - even a lot higher - than the price was back on the shelf. And I call them on it. They can send a stock person to go check. I already shopped carefully to be sure I got the best price; I sure don't want to be done out of all my work by the machine tacking on to the price!

Edited to add: Know where the store has its Clearance racks too. The Wal*Mart down here keeps moving where they place Clearance items, so I keep having to hunt them up again - but if it's on Clearance and it's something you needed/will use anyway, then it's a good deal.

Hmmm.....I have caught the register at Walgreen's several times ringing up sale items at full price. I even asked the cashier flatly about what were the chances of so many things being programmed in wrong. I think it's a scam; bait and switch with a twist.

As for clearance, oh yeah.....I bought two suits off the clearance rack at TJ Maxx last year, nice pin striped suits that run about $90.00 at Palais Royale, I got them for $14.00 apiece! I think I told everybody who would listen, and some who didn't want to, about that one. Now THAT was a good shopping day. :whistling:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  220
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/28/1966

Hey, don't forget Sav-a-lot stores and United Supermarkets.

But I do love me my HEB!!!

Here Everything's Better.

Sadly... doing without any coffee shop stopping whatsoever.

I get my free (simulated) coffee at work.

Tea is free too, but that causes the iron count to drop too low...

So...

But you should see my little garden...

tomatoes coming up nicely, little green ones on the vines everywhere.

Pepper plants are putting out cute little green and red peppers.

Can't wait for them to ripen.

I'd like to plant more, but haven't really got time to shovel up more garden space to do it.

Maybe we'll have a late garden for the fall and plant more things later.

Until then...

stretching the food budget with soups, chicken (I like to call it the rubber chicken because it's so versatile) and pasta (ramen is a pasta, right?)

Shopping the sales.

Making out a weekly menu to keep us from picking up items not on the list.

Teaching my kids how to use their resources wisely.

Don't make two trips.

Learn to plan trips across town together to maximize fuel usage.

Colder showers.

And hanging clothes on the line helps save energy costs.

Not to mention, it tempts the rain!

:whistling:

Hey, don't forget Sav-a-lot stores and United Supermarkets.

But I do love me my HEB!!!

Here Everything's Better.

Sadly... doing without any coffee shop stopping whatsoever.

I get my free (simulated) coffee at work.

Tea is free too, but that causes the iron count to drop too low...

So...

But you should see my little garden...

tomatoes coming up nicely, little green ones on the vines everywhere.

Pepper plants are putting out cute little green and red peppers.

Can't wait for them to ripen.

I'd like to plant more, but haven't really got time to shovel up more garden space to do it.

Maybe we'll have a late garden for the fall and plant more things later.

Until then...

stretching the food budget with soups, chicken (I like to call it the rubber chicken because it's so versatile) and pasta (ramen is a pasta, right?)

Shopping the sales.

Making out a weekly menu to keep us from picking up items not on the list.

Teaching my kids how to use their resources wisely.

Don't make two trips.

Learn to plan trips across town together to maximize fuel usage.

Colder showers.

And hanging clothes on the line helps save energy costs.

Not to mention, it tempts the rain!

:whistling:

All good tips, odditblue. I've turned my water heater down to 100 degrees; this is supposed to drop energy usage by 20%. Well, it makes sense since who can stand 140 degree water anyway??? But, as you know since you live in Texas, the biggest share of the energy bill is the A/C. Keep the filter clean and turn it up to 78 degrees at night (I use fans at night) and turn it to 78 to 80 degrees if everyone is out of the house all day. This stuff really works; I am totally electric in a 3 bedroom house and my bill was $54.00 for April. The average monthly bill here in Houston is $200 in April...although I do know people who pay as high as $500 a month. The highest bill I've ever had, in 13 years in this house, was $190 and that was the summer my son and his family lived with me and it was in the high 90s for weeks. No one thing makes a huge difference; it's when you start adding them all together that you start to see a big reduction in what it takes to live these days. And I planted tomatoes this year too. :24:

• Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

I freeze food before it gets old. I don't waste food. I recently learned that you can peel bananas and freeze them for use in smoothies. I also just froze grapes and strawberries for the smoothies, so now not going to throw them away ever again. I'm also a Costco shopper and it doesn't bother me that I have to buy in quantity. I have a fully stocked pantry this way.

I freeze food before it gets old. I don't waste food. I recently learned that you can peel bananas and freeze them for use in smoothies. I also just froze grapes and strawberries for the smoothies, so now not going to throw them away ever again. I'm also a Costco shopper and it doesn't bother me that I have to buy in quantity. I have a fully stocked pantry this way.

I didn't know you could freeze bananas! My big problem with them is that I buy them and they always go bad before I can eat them. Do you have a link for this, like how to do it? Or if you can post it that would be great! :whistling:

• Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  445
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  06/03/1974

I didn't know you could freeze bananas! My big problem with them is that I buy them and they always go bad before I can eat them. Do you have a link for this, like how to do it? Or if you can post it that would be great! :whistling:

I've done this for years just because I liked to suck on them when they are frozen you seem to get more flavor that way at least for me anyhow and there isn't any special technique to it I just peel a banana then cut it into round slices with a knife stick them in a bowl if I'm going to come back later that day or a ziplock bag if it's going to be awhile and that's all there is to it.

Only problem is fruit is so expensive these days but if you can find some that the store has marked down to move quick it's not to bad as long as you freeze it right away before it goes bad. Also if you have a farmers market close by you can most times get good bargins there also that you won't get at the stores because your buying from the growers and cutting out the middle man.

Also if you have kids like pamiam said you can used all kinds of different fruit so you buy some of the BBQ sticks like you use for Kabobs and stack the fruit on them then stick them in the freezer and the kids will love them as a replacement for ice cream once in a while.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

I didn't know you could freeze bananas! My big problem with them is that I buy them and they always go bad before I can eat them. Do you have a link for this, like how to do it? Or if you can post it that would be great! :noidea:

I used to freeze overripe bananas all the time, unpeeled. They make the best banana bread! You can get them free or get excellent deals at the stores that have a lot left and they're too ripe to sell. Freeze the ends of bread to use in meat loaf or stuffing (I eat those, tho--it's the best pieces.) Or when you get enough pieces, make french toast.

I never waste any leftovers.

I didn't know you could freeze bananas! My big problem with them is that I buy them and they always go bad before I can eat them. Do you have a link for this, like how to do it? Or if you can post it that would be great! :36:

I used to freeze overripe bananas all the time, unpeeled. They make the best banana bread! You can get them free or get excellent deals at the stores that have a lot left and they're too ripe to sell. Freeze the ends of bread to use in meat loaf or stuffing (I eat those, tho--it's the best pieces.) Or when you get enough pieces, make french toast.

I never waste any leftovers.

No, I never waste them either; they become my lunch the next day. I'm going to try the freezing bananas thing, for sure. How long do they keep in the freezer? :rolleyes: